What types of Terrian/Biomes In Bryce?

jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am avid Daz Studio user eye-balling Bryce to expand my 3D skills.
I was wondering what sort of terrains/biomes can one put together using this software please?

Whenever I see Bryce renders, I mostly see canyons, ice bergs and places out in the middle of the ocean. So I thinking there has to be more to it than that.

What about marsh/swamps, woodlands/forests, jungles/rainforests to name a few that run across my mind, but would be interested in an experienced user's response.
Thanks

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Woodland?

The_long_and_winding_road_new.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Look through the "Show Us Your Bryce Renders" thread(s).
    These, from c-ram, were posted yesterday:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/408208/

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Thanks to you Dan to put my renders as examples.

Well, jaxprog you must know that the only limit with bryce is your imagination (and... the memory usage in 32 bits..).

There are many examples of landscapes like forest, meadows, mountains, deserts... and there are many differents styles to render a scene. Many greats artists to do it.

But before you get a good result, you've got to learn and to work hard. It's in practice that you'll improve your skill, it goes the same for each software.

I find Bryce efficient and easy to use compare to other software like terragen and vue. And its price doesn't cost very expensive.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2013

jaxprog said:
    I was wondering what sort of terrains/biomes can one put together using this software please?

Whenever I see Bryce renders, I mostly see canyons, ice bergs and places out in the middle of the ocean. So I thinking there has to be more to it than that.

What about marsh/swamps, woodlands/forests, jungles/rainforests to name a few that run across my mind, but would be interested in an experienced user's response.
    Thanks

Well you can't do better than to look at C-ram's latest offerings and also Pam's renders are good examples of "our" (UK's) pastoral landscape (that's pastoral but they are often pastel too - but that's another story).

So instead I will point you to some tutorials.

DAZ has some of Horo's and mine pointed at here. http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-tutorials/

There are more here on my channel from Horo and myself, http://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen I've tried to sort them into appropriate lists so you can pick out the type/level you are looking for.

Failing that, there are still more here, http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

And as if that's not enough, Horo and I have put together some bundles of content and tutorials in these products,

http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-mentoring-dvd-videos-scenes-and-resources
    http://www.daz3d.com/practical-bryce-7-1-pro-volume-1

Which accounts for another hundred or so.

As well as including tutorials where appropriate with most of our collaborations.

And if you get stuck, feel free to ask.

With Bryce, if you can imagine it, there's probably some way of doing it. And even if you can't figure that part out, so long as you can explain what you are after, preferably providing some kind of image as a guide, then someone on this forum will probably be able to suggest a way of achieving what you want. All I would say, is that if you offer only a vague idea of what you are after, the answer you get will only be vaguely like what you are after.

Finally, here's a selection of images from my dA gallery ( http://davidbrinnen.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ ), tutorials exist for all of these approaches to using Bryce, the UFO sighting is taking place in Horo's kitchen and shows how DS models can be integrated into HDRI backdrops using Bryce.

bryce_7_1_pro___another_vegetation_test_by_davidbrinnen-d6hs449.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 191K
    bryce_7_1_pro___ufo_sighting_by_davidbrinnen-d63ov7y.jpg
    933 x 700 - 407K
    bryce_7_1_pro___anisotropic_reflection_tutorial_by_davidbrinnen-d5jk7ri.jpg
    900 x 506 - 82K
    bryce_7_1_pro___underwater_effect_tutorial_by_davidbrinnen-d5hrprv.jpg
    700 x 700 - 211K
    bryce_7_1_pro___sodium_lighting_tutorial_by_davidbrinnen-d5jb5q9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 205K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited August 2013

jaxprog said:

Thanks

Science Fiction, Still Life, Abstract, Urban/Architecture, Toon, ..., you name it.
    p00278.jpg
    800 x 800 - 93K
    p00259.jpg
    578 x 800 - 82K
    p00144.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    p00121.jpg
    800 x 600 - 111K
    p00058.jpg
    600 x 800 - 85K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312
    edited December 1969

The community here is absolutely awesome! I appreciate all your responses. I will definitely purchase Bryce and add it to my 3D toolbox. Amazing renders. Thank you.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2013

Few more examples of what Bryce can do... Modelling and rendering your own objects.

BoxDoneSmall.jpg
    900 x 900 - 525K
    DeadlinePic.jpg
    1600 x 1300 - 568K
    TreesAndSkyTest.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 404K
    SkyDay.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 223K
    GeoFixIvy.jpg
    800 x 520 - 330K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

Hi there,

For the record; I'm pretty much a beginner myself when it comes to Bryce, even though I've had the opportunity to spend some quality time with it and although I haven't even began to scratch it's surface yet I've already concluded that in my personal opinion it's a must-have program if you're already enjoying Daz Studio.

There is however one thing I can explain ;)

jaxprog said:

One of the explanations for that which I can come up with is that those kinds of terrains are quite easy to make.

An ocean can be made by simply selecting your default floor layer and then changing it's material to something else. For example water; you have several templates at your disposal going from still to rippled waters. So basically with merely a few (very logically setup) mouse clicks you'll have your ocean in no time. Add a primitive shape like a golden ring and you already have something pretty interesting.

Same applies, to a certain extend, to the terrain. It takes one mouseclick to tell Bryce to create some terrain, and another to change it's material again. I could imagine that you'd basically create ice in the same way you create water.

Even so it's an amazing piece of software IMO.

edited December 1969

jaxprog said:
    The community here is absolutely awesome! I appreciate all your responses. I will definitely purchase Bryce and add it to my 3D toolbox. Amazing renders. Thank you.

I think the best thing about Bryce is its community. It's unique. We are all here to help and do not jealously hide secrets.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

No limits!
    (At least in terms of types of environments.)

Here's a tiny piece of a forest, sort of, that I have lying around. Nothing comparable to some of the Bryce forest scenes by others though.
    I've actually been meaning to do a swamp myself someday, it's just way down on the bottom of the project list. Now you have me thinking about it again.

lightbox4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 123K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Sean: For a minute there I was wondering if I was needing to turn my head sideways, until I realized what I was seeing. :lol:

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited August 2013

c-ram said:
    ...Well, jaxprog you must know that the only limit with bryce is your imagination (and... the memory usage in 32 bits..)...

I think 32 bit is a big limitation. A bad limitation. Yes, it can be worked around, but in 2013 should we really be required to? I say no, DAZ needs to honor the customer and bring this product into the current times, which includes 64 bit mode and also making use of all real and virtual CPU cores in the local machine.

This is the right thing to do and I hope DAZ takes it under serious consideration.

Even if it's a paid upgrade, I would be willing to support this effort.

To the OP: Yes, Bryce has great potential. Do not let my comments above scare you away. But if you do buy it, then we will need to add your voice to the chorus wanting a modernized Bryce.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    edited December 1969

It's truly difficult to not agree.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited August 2013

I forgot to also mention that Bryce is quite economical. The cost barrier to entry is lower than a dachshund's belly and there is no ongoing upgrade fee (excepting Platinum Club membership but that is not required for the software to continue to work).

Personally, I feel that the price is fair-to-slightly high for a 32 bit only product that also has severe limits on concurrent CPU thread usage, but the total cost is quite affordable to most and this is a strong point in favor of Bryce for those who are on a budget or just plain stingy. :cheese:

And as you can see by Chohole's, Horo's, Davids, c-ram's, and Savage 64's images above, Bryce can produce amazing work, so your time won't be wasted.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on