How does one re-dock Panes?

rbpahl_cde706a00frbpahl_cde706a00f Posts: 13
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Talk about a pane! I undocked some panes (IE Actors. wardrobe and props) b4 I discovered it wasn't a great idea. How do I get them re-docked?

DS 4.5, Mini-Mac 64 bit, running Mountain Lion.

TCPI Writer

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Grab the TAB (the name tab) of the Pane and drag and drop in to where you want. Do you have any panes docked at all. If so close the floating panes completey and right click on the side bar of the docked pane/s and choose to open the pane of your choice and it will be automatically docked with the other/s.

• rbpahl_cde706a00frbpahl_cde706a00f Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

I found another way ... Workspace settings...

Thanks

edited December 1969

I am going senile as I would have sworn I had included this info in my post above if I hadn't reread it again just now. Sorry about that. Time to go back to methinks.

edited December 1969

Can't be any more senile than me.

Proud member of the greybeard society

edited December 1969

I see a beard off happening. Well mine is so grey it is white...nearly. :P

edited December 1969

Ya have to be a Hemingway look-alike to qualify. I started mine as a mid-life crisis thing and I've had it for over thirty years...8-)=

edited December 1969

LOL Ok you win. Funny and you are so welcomed to the DAZ3D forums with that sense of humour. :P

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RBPahl41 said:
    Ya have to be a Hemingway look-alike to qualify. I started mine as a mid-life crisis thing and I've had it for over thirty years...8-)=
    I'm out I look more like a skinny Grizzly Adams than Hemingway.
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

I have the same problem, my panes came off after a crash which ruined all my settings. Now I cannot dock the panes anymore and I cannot find 'workspace settings'. How do I fix this?

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited August 2013

Herakleia said:
    I have the same problem, my panes came off after a crash which ruined all my settings. Now I cannot dock the panes anymore and I cannot find 'workspace settings'. How do I fix this?

Assuming we're talking about the panes which you normally see in the left and right docking areas..

It's easy; if you have no panes at all then simply go to the Window menu and select "Panes". Select the pane you want and it'll become visible on screen. Now all that's left to do is drag it to either the left or right part of your screen. You'll notice when you're there when you see a "strip" light up. Simply let the mouse button go and your docking area is there.

Now; you probably want to have more than one pane in your viewport. Easy too: right click the light area of the now visible docking area and select the "add pane" option; just select a pane you want and presto.

Changing order is easy as well: simply drag and drop.

And you can repeat this process for the other sides of the screen as well. Start out with one, dock it, and then use right click to add more panes to your, at that time, visible docking area.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

And once you're done you might want to press F4 so save your current layout. That way you don't have to bother with all this again, but can simply re-load it (using Windows -> Workspace -> Select layout...).

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Peter! After a bit of tinkering it worked!

• gMAKgMAK Posts: 26

i Find none of this work for 4.9 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,198

I am rendering at the moment so can't check the exact name, but make sure that Window>Workspace>Lock Docking/Undocking is not set.

• gMAKgMAK Posts: 26

Thanks assume uncheck means not set.  mine is unchecked  - when i drag to side i see now indicator - as mentioned in Daz video but they were done at 4.5

Are you dragging the tab or the top frame bar? Drag the tab to dock in an existing pane group, dtrag the top bar to create a new pane group with the pane.

• VolvoB10MVolvoB10M Posts: 105
    Szark said:

Grab the TAB (the name tab) of the Pane and drag and drop in to where you want. Do you have any panes docked at all. If so close the floating panes completey and right click on the side bar of the docked pane/s and choose to open the pane of your choice and it will be automatically docked with the other/s.

When I try it, it just drops the box where it is. How do I put it in to what was at the side?

Szark said:

When I try it, it just drops the box where it is. How do I put it in to what was at the side?

Dragging the tab is for adding a pane to an existing pane group - if you want to dock it as a whole new group you need to use the top bar of the frame, and make sure that Lock Docking/Undocking is not checked in Window>Workspace.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 789

In 4.9.2, the dark layout is broken. You can't redock anything. And the docking pane (not the window, but the container pane) will go over top the viewport obscuring it instead of resizing the viewport.

• 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

When you hover over the tab on the pane you get a hand symbol. Drag and drop that in an existing pane group to add it to that group. If instead of hovering over the tab of the pane, you hover over the top bar of the same pane, you get a four-way cross. Drag and drop that to create a new pane group. Drag it near the edge of the screen until you get a yellow line highlight. This indicates one of the several positions around the screen where you can create new pane groups. Drop it when the line highlights.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

The docking of toolbars in DAZ Studio, current build as of Sept 2017 is abismal.  Sorry but it just is.  The coders really should look into fixing this.  THANK GOD I found this thread as it gave me clues about how to get my tool bars back to where I sorta want them but beware, if you start dragging them to a new spot, same thing happens, can't redock it again and have to start from scratch by closing them and then having the program put them back by going to the Window> Workspace>Customize and then Activities> Toolbars and turn one back on and see where it lands after hitting the accept or apply button.  Then keep going until you have them SORT OF where you want them and in the order you want them turned on is where they land.  I then carefully dragged them over a bit and then LOCKED the tool bar.  Most other program are you drag a toolbar even close to an edge the snap to function kicks in and it's docked.  This is a bit of an annoying nightmare quite frankly. I really hope in the next build this is fixed or improved.  YUK

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Hmmm I just right click on the border of one of the side bars and go to tabs and add the one I need ....

• GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    RAMWolff said:

The docking of toolbars in DAZ Studio, current build as of Sept 2017 is abismal.  Sorry but it just is.  The coders really should look into fixing this.  THANK GOD I found this thread as it gave me clues about how to get my tool bars back to where I sorta want them but beware, if you start dragging them to a new spot, same thing happens, can't redock it again and have to start from scratch by closing them and then having the program put them back by going to the Window> Workspace>Customize and then Activities> Toolbars and turn one back on and see where it lands after hitting the accept or apply button.  Then keep going until you have them SORT OF where you want them and in the order you want them turned on is where they land.  I then carefully dragged them over a bit and then LOCKED the tool bar.  Most other program are you drag a toolbar even close to an edge the snap to function kicks in and it's docked.  This is a bit of an annoying nightmare quite frankly. I really hope in the next build this is fixed or improved.  YUK

I have to agree. I wanted to swap the entire Pane Group (Left to Right) but cannot figure out how to do that. Space Location is INCREDIBLY STRONGLY imbedded in memory so having every pane in a different location wreaks havoc. The more pieces you are dealing with the bigger the DISRUPTION !

This thread is somewhat helpful but I still cannot get things re-arranged the way I am used to having them.

I have now wasted MANY HOURS screwing around and still have not accomplished putting things back the way I had them prior to the DS 4.10 version.

edited November 2017

To move a pane from one group to another, or to separate it out into a floating pane group, drag the tab

To move or dock a pane group drag the grey bar at the top of the frame, the area that has the close X button at its end. To dock let go when a line of the (orange by default) highlight colour shows along the edge at which you wish it docked.

To add a pane to an existing group right-click in the blank area beside the existing tabs.

To resize a pane group drag on any edge.

Note that the options in a pane's option menu regarding docking have been updated in 4.10 - see the announcement thread for details.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited November 2017

Sorry Richard.  There is no X button and I'm up to date.  Nor can I redock any undocked panes. I can place them along the top and make them look docked and then lock the bars down but it's not the same thing.  If I drag one over to the side, which I like my most used to be on the right side the bar does not dock but it does reorientate itself to a side bar but no, it will not snap and dock into place.  

Sidebar, Doesn't dock.png
    441 x 695 - 9K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited November 2017

That's a tool bar, not a pane. Dragging is working for me with tool bars, and for those DS does move things aside to show where they will drop. I'm not sure why they would lock to floating if your panes (presumably) aren't.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/tool_bar/start

Editing to add: Tool Bars have to go around the edges of the UI, then the docking area for panes is inside that potential frame of tool bars - you can't mix panes and toolbars.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Sorry, misworded that.  They are the toolbars... See the screen shot.  The toolbar is sitting on top of the UI and there was no pull to snap it into the side and make that extra blank space for it to be docked.. just sits there on top!  

• IS DS maximised or floating? On the main monitor or a secondary?

Main monitor and maximized!  

• Then it's the same as mine, where docking is working, so I'm not sure what else to suggest

I've even tried reinstalling.... weird right?