The 3DCheapskate's pictures (very,very,old ones...)

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited June 2019 in Art Studio

After several years of just fiddling with DAZ Studio and Poser I think it's about time to hit that 'Render' button for real, and see what other people think. The two pictures I've already uploaded elsewhere because I thought they were good pictures (not perfect, just good). Constructive criticism is always very welcome, even on the older pictures.

Terracotta Samurai - this post
Siam Sunset - post #1
Yaak - post #2
Yak Grot (Angry Giant) - post #4
Single Combat - post #5
Skulking Yak - post #6
A Small Request - post #7
Here Miss, Let Me Help You… - post #9
Here Miss, Let Me Help You… (Part 2) - post #10
Ancient Warrior - post #11
Dragons and primitives (WorldBall tests) - post #12
Earth Environs worldball set promo render - post #13
Cinderside worldball set promo render - post #14
My Favourite Left-Handed Warrior Girl (Caucasian Style) - post #16
You Watch My Back... - post #19
The Martian Princess (WIP) - starts at post #20
The Martian Princess - In Alabaster - post #23
Warrior Maiden, S.E. Asian Style - post #26
Dawn Raid [Version 2] - post #29

Terracotta Samurai

So here's the first "Terracotta Samurai" (uploaded to ShareCG and Renderosity)

No postwork except composition (i.e. adding background and titles). Rendered in Poser 6 using:
- "Michael 3" by DAZ
- "M3 Normans Outfit" by Lourdes at ShareCG
- Katana from "Katana set for M3" by Arki at RuntimeDNA
- "Samurai Helmet for Poser" by Daramski at ShareCG
- Mail textures from my "Tileable Mail Textures 3-6 (Kusari)" at ShareCG
(The Norman Kite Shield is a prop I'm working on - there's currently no back or straps to it!)
(The rising sun texture for the shield, and the terracotta textures for the clothing and helmet are ones I created specifically for this render)

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2013

Siam Sunset

And the second (the source for one of my avatars) - "Siam Sunset" (uploaded to Renderosity)

No postwork. Rendered in Poser 6 using:
    - M3 (DAZ)
    - Vietcong Tuong and Vietcong Hong morphs and textures for M3 (Vanishing Point)
    - M3 Norman Outfit pants (Lourdes)
    - V4.2 with Morphs++ (DAZ)
    - Kaileena for PBIV for V4 - texture and outfit (Pretty3D)
    - Fantasy Warrior Hair (Pretty3D)
    - Morphing ground prop (Porsimo)
    - Dha and Chedi (my own freebies)
    (The shields and helmet are freebies I'm still trying to get right!)

There's a variation of my favourite left-handed warrior girl in post #16

SiamSunset819x946(00e).jpg
    819 x 946 - 225K
    edited August 2013

Yaak

And now one I've just done today - "Yaak" (uploaded to DeviantArt, Renderosity, and ShareCG)

No postwork except composition (i.e. adding background and titles). Rendered in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced using:
    - The FREAK (from DAZ3D)
    - Shackles and loincloth (from DAZ3D)
    - Sword and shield (my own freebies)

Yaak!.jpg
    987 x 963 - 131K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

And now one I've just done today - "Yaak" (uploaded to DeviantArt, Renderosity, and ShareCG)

No postwork except composition (i.e. adding background and titles). Rendered in DAZ Studio 3 Advanced using:
    - The FREAK (from DAZ3D)
    - Shackles and loincloth (from DAZ3D)
    - Sword and shield (my own freebies)

like this one

edited August 2013

Yak Grot

ยักษ์โกรธ 'Yak Grot' (Angry Giant)

A modified version of the previous upload, 'Yaak'. The same setup, but I did a bit of fiddling around in DAZ Studio: adjusted the pose and expression; added some bump and displacement to the giant, loincloth, manacles, and sword grip; added some ray-traced reflection to the sword blade; added some blood-spatter to the shield texture in GIMP and used the modified texture; used my 'DMS(Basic)' DAZ Studio shader to combine some blood-spatter with the giant's skin texture directly on the Surfaces tab..

No postwork, just layered composition and the addition of a shadow in GIMP.

21 Nov: image changed from DS preview screenshot to a 'splatterless' version of the render.
    23 Nov: I'm obviously being overcautious - my little bit of blood-spatter's nothing compared to RawArt's Severed Man, so I've changed the image to the full render.

YakGrot.jpg
    1000 x 869 - 271K
    edited August 2013

Single Combat

Trying to inject a little action into the renders now but something's not quite right I think? My yak seems to be floating rather than leaping...

DAZ Studio 3 again, using some Mytilus and Pretty3D stuff from Renderosity ('Action Poses' building and Fantasy Warrior Hair)

YakAttack.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 251K
    edited August 2013

Skulking Yak

Just found a render that I'd somehow accidentally saved while working on ideas for the previous image. I quite like it.

Skulking_Yak.png
    498 x 499 - 89K
    edited August 2013

A Small Request

My first attempt at a comic-strip style...

...and a little teaser for a simple addition that'll make my 'PropGoto+' script useable with other props.

JamesRequest.jpg
    998 x 503 - 123K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

I like it.. web comics are always fun :)

edited December 1969

Here Miss, Let Me Help You...

I think this one should definitely be part of a sequence... (thanks Ivy, you inspired me!)

This is a crop from the original render, which I did to fit my desktop at 1366x768, but I'm not sure whether the crop improves it? Reduced version of the uncropped image below the main image.

I'm no expert, but I think my lighting is improving? Four infinite lights here, all with AO on at default settings, only one with shadows (raytraced with a moderate blur radius)
    - Two at the same position upper right front, one to cast shadows, the other without (so the shadows aren't too dark - I find this is a nice way to control shadows, balancing the intensity between these two).
    - One lower left front, no shadows, to give some light to the un-illuminated areas, and another upper left front to do the same.

Poser 9 render (no postwork - although the guy's shoulders really could do with some).
    - Behemoth, F202 Dollie (including hair and bikini) all freebies picked up over the past few years.
    - I used the V3 remap of F202 Dollie and used the V3RR texture (picked up here at DAZ when V3RR was free)
    - Background is one of the tropical textures for the DAZ multiplane cyclorama, picked up in a 99¢ sale here at DAZ by my PC alter-ego (I got the DAZ environments and most of their textures like that)
    - Water jar, lid, and scoop are un-UV-mapped models I made and forgot about. Just applied some simple procedural textures (clay for the clay pot, turbulence for the wooden lid, and granite(!) for the coconut scoop). I think I'll tidy those up and release them as a freebie.[/size

LetMeHelpYou(full,reduced).jpg
    500 x 281 - 46K
    LetMeHelpYou(Crop).jpg
    627 x 768 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Here Miss, Let Me Help You… (Part 2)

LetMeHelpPart2.jpg
    708 x 1134 - 304K
    edited February 2013

Ancient Warrior

Figure is M3 (with a mixture of Vanishing Point's Viet Cong character morphs and textures plus some material room fiddling). Sword, shield and helmet are my own (first two are released freebies, helmet's a WIP). He's overlaid on one of my photos (Prasat Hin Phanom Rung in Thailand). I'm really pleased with the way the shield looks - well worth the time and effort I put into it! The mesh and UV-mapping of the helmet's chinstrap need a lot more work - as I said, it's a WIP But the sword - hmmm.... there's something wrong with the textures on the released model. I'll need to look into that.

Tahaan.jpg
    677 x 754 - 264K
    edited April 2013

I'm playing with DIY environment maps and IBL light probes at the moment - just posted some test environment/light probe images in the Freepozitory here.To create each environment map/light probe pair I create a simple world in Terragen Classic and render six 90° FOV images (up/down, left/right, back/front), arrange them into a vertical cross cubemap in GIMP, and convert the cubemap to an equirectangular map (for environments) and an angular map (for light probes) in HDRShop. Easy, and with totally free software.

I'm using the environment maps/light probes from post #5 and 6 in these Poser 6 renders. The lat/long map is applied to my own environment sphere, and also as a reflection map for the shiny ball. The angular map is used for a Diffuse IBL light, no AO. I've also got a second light for sun shadows. The light intenstities are roughly 50% each for diffuse IBL and infinte light, adjusted to suit each image.

It's obvious that the resolution for the environment map that I mapped onto the inside of an environment sphere needs to be better a better quality JPG and/or a higher resolution image.

Render_8.jpg
    771 x 500 - 70K
    Render_7.jpg
    771 x 500 - 75K
    Render_6.jpg
    771 x 500 - 66K
    Render_4.jpg
    771 x 500 - 76K
    edited December 1969

Final test render for the first outer space WorldBall environment set...

Poser 6, 35mm, background/lighting using only the WorldBall and the new environment set. The only other things in the scene are Sixus 1's HIM Tactical Space Suit (with the Poser 6 disembodied head in the helmet) and the Franz Munz alien drone.

EarthEnvironsPromoP6.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 204K
    edited August 2013

Test/promo render for the 'Cinderside' WorldBall environment set. DAZ Studio 3 render - just a camera, Dinokanda, Zubarra, and the WorldBall (WorldBall, Sun, IBL, Ground) in the scene.

CinderSide_Battle.jpg
    966 x 956 - 120K
  • Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Your texturing and lighting are really nice. The may you can make the details pop and still work together rather than stealing the scene..it sure looks to me like you have a real eye for composition.

edited August 2013

My Favourite Left-Handed Warrior Girl - Caucasian Style

Thanks dhtapp. I've found the WorldBall's a big help with the lighting - I just load it up with an appropriate background set and 'Bob's your uncle', a fairly realistic lighting set-up straight off. Then instead of spending ages trying to get the lighting right I can spend that time more productively on fine-tuning the poses and camera setup. (of course the lighting still usually needs tweaking, but the basics are done automatically)

Anyway, here's another WorldBall test render - a variation on my favourite left-handed warrior girl from post #2 (paler skinned and more caucasian). Still trying to find an appropriate costume for her - this one's the V4: Myths & Legends - Hippogriff Rider from Content Paradise and I rather like it (although it could with a skirt!). Pretty3Ds Fantasy Warrior Hair from Renderosity as usual. Skin texture is one of Syltermermaid's (can't recall which). Sword, shield and Worldball environment (Misty Mountains Evening) are my own freebies available from ShareCG or Renderosity

test2.jpg
    654 x 644 - 72K
    edited December 1969

Same scene, different angle. I think the sunlight's a bit too strong when viewed from this side...

test2b.jpg
    600 x 800 - 118K
    edited December 1969

And a third angle.

test2c.jpg
    600 x 800 - 96K
    edited August 2013

You Watch My Back...

My favourite left-handed warrior girl again, trying out a new hair colour!

Comments appreciated, critical comments preferred. Personally I think this one's absolutely marvellous! ;o) But I'd really, honestly, appreciate people pointing out what looks wrong and what can be improved.

DS4 render, 65mm focal length. Dinokonda and Victoria 4 from DAZ, Pretty3D's Fantasy Warrior Hair from Renderosity, V4 texture is one of Syltermermaid's from Pretty3D/Artraiders or Content Paradise, sword and shield are mine, background and lighting is my WorldBall with the Cinderside set. Did a bit of playing with the bump and displacement on both figures. Also use my ShieldTMS shader, and fiddled with the DS materials on the sword - I really do need to fix that, and I think I've said that before! All non-free content used in this render is legally owned by myself (or my alter ego with the wallet!)

P.S. there are three additional versions of this picture using different WorldBall sets over on my You Watch My Back... ShareCG 3D and 2D Art page.

You_Watch_My_Back_4_(V4BumpOK).png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    edited August 2013

The Martian Princess (First Test Render)

There are thousand of depictions of Dejah Thoris - from the book covers and interpretations of the great fantasy art masters to the fan art. But none of the pictures I've seen quite matches the mental image I've had since I first read the books (a fair few decades ago!). Project Gutenberg have 'A Princess Of Mars' online ( http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62 ) and she's quite clearly described at the end of Chapter VIII, 'A Fair Captive From The Sky' (bottom of page 35). I'm pleased to say that my mental picture of her is fairly close to this,

"And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect.

She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure."

The buxom caucasian (or very red-skinned) amazons never seemed right to me as they don't fit the author's 'slender, girlish figure' and 'light reddish copper color' skin.

I've always imagined the authors reference to her colouring as being indicative of a sort-of sheen - surprisingly the skin of some of the TOS klingons is the closest I've seen to this (although they had a far more khaki colouration, and I don't recall any TOS klingon women as beautiful as Dejah Thoris would be). While I'm thinking of TOS, making her as red as the TOS orion slave-girls are green wouldn't match the mental image. Do a Google image search for 'red copper -hair', and imagine that sort of sheen/tint on a S.E.Asian or Mediterranean skin tone, applied in a TOS klingon manner. That's the ballpark I'm aiming for.

Also there's nothing 'strange yet becoming' about most representations of her hair. So I've chosen something rather different for my first try - not perfect, but I like it, and I think it captures something of the spirit.

Anyway, here's my first attempt, slightly cropped to conform to DAZ forum image-posting rules. I know the crimson cheeks and ruby lips are missing. That's another reason I think that most 'red-skinned' representations (including this, my first attempt!) are too red - the crimson and ruby have to stand out!

Poser 9 render with my worldball/mars for backdrop and lighting. Victoria 4 and SWAM/Goldtassel's Duchesse Hair and hairband (both from DAZ). All other body ornaments from Rhiannon's V4 Tanya (Renderosity), significantly modified in the material room. Syltermermaid's X-Mas Freebie Lindy (from Pretty3D/ArtRaiders) as the base body texture, significantly modified in the material room.

Constructive criticism please. I know there's many artistic/technical problems with this image, and it would be interesting to see if other people see the same issues. I'll be posting more images on my ShareCG, Renderosity and DeviantArt galleries since one of the essential elements of the author's description isn't permitted on these forums.

Dejah_Thoris_7c_(AOcorrected)_-_No_nipple.jpg
    853 x 994 - 315K
    edited August 2013

The Martian Princess (WIP)

Despite what I said earlier, I'm so pleased with the way this is progressing that I've done a special render for the DAZ forums using Aery Soul's elven strapped two piece (still available for free via the archive.org backup).

Poser 9 render, 'Final' quality auto setup, with Smooth Polygons, Remove Backfaced, and Use Displacement Maps checked (not sure if there is any displacement?).
    Minor postwork on the elven strapped top to fix poke-through and backface-removed bits.
    Background, lighting, and ground shadows are my worldball - distant light for the sun, Diffuse IBL (LDR image) for the environmental light. the sun is casting ray-traced shadows (the groundplane is set as a shadowcatcher only) and the IBL is using AO.
    Other than that it's just V4 and what she's wearing.

I've fixed a few issues, but there's lots more. Here's a couple that I'm wondering about the best way to resolve,

a) Since the groundplane's just a shadowcatcher anything below the groundplane is still visible. How can I resolve this?
    b) there doesn't appear to be any AO effect between her and the groundplane - I guess that's because of the shadowcatch only? How to resolve this?
    c) Parts of her body (most notably on her right hand) have gone transparent. It appears to be something to do with AO since it doesn't happen if I turn AO off. Any ideas?
    d) Her hair (SWAM/goldtassel's V4 Duchesse hair) looks very 'painted'. How can I make it look more realistic? (Although I actually rather like the effect as it is!)

Other issues I can see, but which I can sort out myself (although advice/suggestions on these would be gratefully received too!) are:
    e) the bump (and displacement?) settings aren't consistent, resulting in noticeable lines (notably at her right wrist and across her midriff.
    f) her skin's still too red for my mental image - it's tricky getting the balance right!

DejahThoris8a.jpg
    853 x 1024 - 225K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

All I can say is WOW,that is what I always thought the Princess of Mars looked like .......very nice.

edited August 2013

Good to know I'm not the only one - thanks!

Anyway, adding to the issues I've already noted I think it could also benefit from a little blur - it looks a bit too crisp. So've been playing around in Poser 9 to try and understand how to get depth of field. I've also been reading up on the pros and cons of rendertime blur versus postwork blur. I got a bit side-tracked by the Z-depth render and ended up with this, which I think is rather beautiful...
    (and I've already had confirmation that the image meets the criteria for posting on this forum)

The Martian Princess - In Alabaster

Alabaster.jpg
    700 x 838 - 56K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Very nice it looks more like brushed glass then alabaster to me though

edited August 2013

carrie58 said:
    Very nice it looks more like brushed glass then alabaster to me though

True, true... the title was an afterthought to try and match the effect - mist, snow, ice, marble were other possibilities I considered. But neither these nor the title I chose quite fit the intriguing Z-depth effect. (I hadn't thought of brushed/ground glass, which is probably a better description than any of the ones I thought of. But 'The Martian Princess - Ground Glass Version' just doesn't have the right ring to it! ;o)

Now I'm wondering about using this technique as the basis for the marble and gold structures for the cities? In my view it would add an otherworldly effect to ERBs description of "...the entrance of as magnificent an edifice as mortal eye has rested upon. The building was low, but covered an enormous area. It was constructed of gleaming white marble inlaid with gold and brilliant stones which sparkled and scintillated in the sunlight." (from chapter IV A Prisoner).

Maybe evenuse it for the Thark's tusks, "The whiteness of the teeth is not that of ivory, but of the snowiest and most gleaming of china." (from chapter III My Advent On Mars). Talking of which I'm currently roughing up a very basic idea for 'John Carter's first meeting with Tars Tarkas' using two M3s for the Thark and two juvenile argentinosaurus for the thoat. I'm rather surprised (and delighted!) that the 40 foot spear doesn't seem quite so absurd!

edited August 2013

Warrior Maiden, S.E. Asian Style

The original S.E. Asian left-handed warrior girl from my Siam Sunset render again. I like this character, and I like this pose, and I think this render's a big improvement over the earlier one in terms of realism.

I resolved the issue that was limiting the size of the render to the Poser 9 preview window, so this is at the intended resolution - 1024x1365. I've also adjusted the camera angle slightly, because the original one made her left thigh look massive!

This is my first attempt to actually control the depth-of-field blur, which is done within Poser 9 for this render. The actual render was done with no background. The background is a separate image with Gaussian Blur applied in GIMP and the render was simply overlaid on that. I initially tried rendering everything together - but in the half-hour it took to render the top-left block of sky with a nice depth of field blur I decided that the other approach was better. I also found a Windows compiled version of the GIMP Focus Blur plugin while I was waiting, although the background here is so simple it wasn't needed.

I'm really pleased with this, but something just doesn't look right. I can't put my finger on it though {edit: got it! The blur near the sword-tip doesn't look right against the backdrop!} - I think it needs a pair of eyes other than mine, as I've been looking at various versions of this image for a day and half and I think I've got a mental block now!

WG1024x1365.jpg
    1024 x 1365 - 185K
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Very cool renders, great job :-)

edited August 2013

Thanks! This afternoon I tried a variation of my previous image but letting Poser handle the depth-of-field for the whole scene. My renders usually take less than 30 minutes, but this next one was still going after 4-5 hours and I had to abort it.

Looking at the focus blur I think that for the extreme-blur areas (i.e. chedi and backdrop) simple Gaussian blur in GIMP would probably look better?

Hmmm... I think I prefer the previous one. Maybe transfer the shield colour and focus settings from this one though?

4-5_hour_render!.jpg
    1024 x 1120 - 160K
    edited September 2013

Dawn Raid [Version 2]

(this is a rework of the original Dawn Raid over on the worldball render thread which was clearly too dark)

Adjusted the lighting (IBL 125%, Sun 30% - just for my own reference), rotated the backdrop, added an extra distant light for the flames (75%), rendered figure and backdrop separately (Poser 6), and added some flame and smoke layers in GIMP using PNGs from Andrei Oprinca's 'Fire & Smoke PNG Stock Pack' (found them here http://www.psdbox.com/stock/fire-smoke-png-stock-pack )

Dawn_Assault6+Fire.jpg
    1024 x 482 - 124K