Poser Pro 2010 to Poser 9 - Worth the "upgrade?"

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've got Poser Pro 2010 (which, for a variety of reasons, I've not yet installed) and I'm now seeing ads for reasonably cheap Poser 9.

Would it be worth my while to pick up Poser 9 either to replace or supplement Pro 2010 -- or should I wait until they offer 2012 pro cheaply?

Your sage advice appreciated.

Comments

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969
  • edited June 2012

ruekaka said:

Yes. Cheaper than that.

I've got 2 reputable places offering Poser 9 (not Pro) for around $75. Not an upgrade, either, I believe. But the offer expires in the next day or so.

PS - Anyone know why my paragraphs are not breaking properly on the new forum?

Post edited by stephendsullivan_8d05b15f9d on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Put a space on the blank line, i.e. "Enter"-"Space"-"Enter"

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here's the comparison chart of the different versions.

I'm by no means an expert (read: I know next to nothing about Poser) but it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade if you have Pro. Smith Micro had a newsletter sale which ended a week ago which was offering a Pro 2012 upgrade (from older versions of Poser Pro) for $120. If I were you I'd probably keep an eye out for something like that instead. It's good idea to subscribe to SmithMicro's newsletter.

Got Poser 9 for 60 euros during the same sale. The included content was well worth the money alone IMO and works in DS too (unlike much of Poser Debut content which was flat out disappointing).

• edited December 1969

Tempest! said:
    Smith Micro had a newsletter sale which ended a week ago which was offering a Pro 2012 upgrade (from older versions of Poser Pro) for $120. If I were you I'd probably keep an eye out for something like that instead. It's good idea to subscribe to SmithMicro's newsletter.

Got Poser 9 for 60 euros during the same sale. The included content was well worth the money alone IMO and works in DS too (unlike much of Poser Debut content which was flat out disappointing).

Well, dammit, I thought I _was_ on their newsletter mailing list.

Of course, it's been graduation and college prep season around here, so it's possible I missed it, I guess.

Sigh! That would have been a better solution.

• GonfalonGonfalon Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The Poser sale is still on but it ends today.

Poser Pro 2012 -

http://www.contentparadise.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=18918&sgid=857

Upgrade to Poser Pro 2012 appears to be $119.99

The upgrade is the full version but you will need your serial number from a previous version.

Poser 9 -

http://www.contentparadise.com/productdetails.aspx?id=21415

• ba_aca2a9241dba_aca2a9241d Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Why buy Poser 9 if you have not even installed Poser 2010? I would say spent your money on something else, some you're going to use. That would be my first advice..... if you even haven't installed PP2010 why even buy P9, are you even sure you're going to end up using it at all?

Your answer can not be answered until you let us know what you do with Poser. Buying Poser 9 or Poser Pro 2012 instead all depends on what you use it for. Poser 9 doesn't complement Poser Pro at all, Pro and regular are geared at a different audience. Install Poser Pro 2010 first and see if you even need that and then decide if you will upgrade. Do you even use Poser at all?

• edited December 1969

3D Toons said:
    Do you even use Poser at all?

I use Poser constantly, and I have a massive runtime with 1000s of products in it (I think DAZ nuked my forum gallery during the recent "upgrade.) -- which is why I've kept putting off the upgrade; somehow, I dread the switchover. But, if I'm going to switch, part of me thinks I might as well switch to the best, newest product, once, rather than upgrading twice.

Still, what you say makes sense -- though this weight-map thing, which I'll admit I don't understand fully, intrigues and tempts me.

I probably need to find the time (and space on my HD) for 2010 before I jump ahead to the next one. Besides, I think I just missed the $75 sale; it ended tonight. (And apparently I somehow fell off the cheap upgrade list for Smith Micro. :-()

edited December 1969

Don't worry about missing the sale, there will be others. In the last 4 months or so, Poser has been on sale 3 times. I'm sure you'll get another chance in time to come, after you've managed to try Poser 2010. Which version are you using at the moment?

• edited December 1969

3D Toons said:
    Don't worry about missing the sale, there will be others. In the last 4 months or so, Poser has been on sale 3 times. I'm sure you'll get another chance in time to come, after you've managed to try Poser 2010. Which version are you using at the moment?

Poser 7.

Jam-packed full of stuff, with the libraries heavily customized by me to suit my needs.

Thus, additional reluctance to pull the trigger on the upgrade -- knowing the transition will be pretty serious work.

And it's usually either that or do another render or write another story.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be on sale again soon -- or they'll come out with a new edition... right after I upgrade.

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3D Toons said:
    In the last 4 months or so, Poser has been on sale 3 times.?

Heh, Gonfalon's sale wasn't even the same one that I mentioned. Maybe a third guy will pop up with yet another sale? :)
    edited December 1969

Going from Poser 7 to 2010 is a big step already, you should really install it. If you have a multi-core machine, you're rendering times will improve a lot, since Poser 2010 has been optimized for that.

My libraries are highly customized and I've had no problems at all moving from One version to another. What I do is copy all of the libraries to a second harddrive. Then install the new version. Then uninstall the old version and then copy back the libraries to the excact folder as IT was before. Now point the new version to the runtime and I'm up and running again. Even all of the saved Works open fine, since all of the libraries are still in the same place, only the application files are gone.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

3D Toons said:

Poser 7.

Jam-packed full of stuff, with the libraries heavily customized by me to suit my needs.

Thus, additional reluctance to pull the trigger on the upgrade -- knowing the transition will be pretty serious work.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be on sale again soon -- or they'll come out with a new edition... right after I upgrade.

You don't have to give up you P7 libraries if you upgrade. Just leave P7 as is and link the runtime to the upgrade. All of my internal and external runtimes are heavily customized to suit my workflow.

Newer version do not preclude the use of older versions. Especially if you use certain python scripts that have not be updated for the newer versions of Python used in P9/Pro2012.

• GonfalonGonfalon Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Poser 7.

You can install Poser Pro 2010 and still run Poser 7 on the same computer (as long as you install them in different directories) and link to your existing libraries from within Poser Pro 2010. PP2010 is much faster than Poser 7 especially if you have a 64bit computer. It also has IDL and some other enhancements.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited July 2012

I can add that Pro crashes vastly less often than 8 (I haven't had 7 for a while). I kept them both, so that I can develop products with P8 compatibility but test and promo render in Pro (since Renderosity tests in Pro).

Most of the Poser market has just refused to switch to weight mapping at this point, because it requires purchase of P9+ and it's easier and cheaper for them to buy joint fixits for V4 and M4 and keep using large existing runtimes. There's still a huge, thriving market in joint-falloff .cr2 clothes at Renderosity. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was at RDNA as well.

Post edited by SickleYield on