First impressions of Dawn?.....V4 is safe.

edited August 2013 in The Commons

I spent a few hours yesterday playing with Dawn (stop smirking...:-)
and don't see what the fuss is all about. She's got shoulders like a linebacker, her butt is ridiculous and her waist/hip bends funny.
On top of that she's ugly. I've got a small fortune in V4 clothes and figures and despite having done this stuff for a few years now am nowhere near the limits of the figure. With all of her add-ons, improvements and morphs, Vicky4 is still the top model.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Don't like her? Don't use her.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2013

and don't see what the fuss is all about. She's got shoulders like a linebacker, her butt is ridiculous and her waist/hip bends funny.
    On top of that she's ugly. I've got a small fortune in V4 clothes and figures and despite having done this stuff for a few years now am nowhere near the limits of the figure. With all of her add-ons, improvements and morphs, Vicky4 is still the top model.

thanks for sharing :) Opinions are good.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for sharing :) Opinions are good.

More information is better ;-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEIiKM4WOw the Daz Gulz can take her! :snake:

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited August 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEIiKM4WOw the Daz Gulz can take her! :snake:

hahaha That's funny.

I'm surprised that this thread didn't get deleted yet. Are we safe to talk about her? >.>

Post edited by Zenrel on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Choice is always a good thing, but the content for Dawn is already showing a heavy apartheid in favour of Poser users, so she'll be good for the folk that refuse to use the DSON Importer.

Dawn isn't a bad figure, and while there's Crossdresser support, you're starting from scratch when it comes to skin textures, morphs etc.

I'm already a G2F/V6/Gia user, so on a personal level, I'm struggling to see what she offers that I can't already do better with what I've got... That said, no harm in having a new toy to play with from time to time even if Genesis & Genesis 2 are still my go-to figures.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited August 2013

Dawn isn't any worse than G2F, at my opinion and she has more advanced - or versatile at least - rigging than V4 had. Her default shape isn't conventionally prettified into this ever-slender build which is the same approach as Gia uses although Gia is more muscular by default. I like the more athletic feel of her and I certainly like her face more than V4 default, and I especially like that her default skin isn't another pale as milk Caucasian. Right now there are few products available for her to show how variable she could be (no main morphpack, for example, just basic, although this is big marketing mistake at my opinion). She'd definitely benefit from a couple JCMs on back of collar bends - just like default V4 would, btw - but saying that she is worse than V4 who had like what, 8 years (?) of developments and addons that include fixes to most glaring problems, wouldn't be proper way to compare them. Everything is subjective, surely, but I remember that V4 was bashed at the launch too, so no surprise here - all figures are bashed on launch there and here.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:
    I'm surprised that this thread didn't get deleted yet. Are we safe to talk about her? >.>

Talking about the figure appears to be permitted but mentioning other content marketplaces by name is not -- or maybe it's just the one website in particular.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

talkie but no linkie.

I just DLed the free base to have a peek, intrigued. But I am on a no buy splurge or is that anti-splurge. humm anyway I haven't got V6, I have invested a lot of money in to Genesis to start buying in to other figures when I am saving like mad for a new PC. I look at it this way (pulls funny face) that competion is good for the market, it pushes the boundries. From what I have seen and heard V6 was in response to Dawn's arrival. If that is true and from the renders I have seen of V6 I would say that proves my point. V6 looks pretty damm good to me but again I stress I haven't got V6 to see for myself. I have messed about with Genesis 2 to see what it can do and I did find improvemet in movement and posing over Genesis. I think what peeves me the most is how V6 was released. In my mind DAZ3D should have made a statement when V6 was released explaining why and what the future holds for Genesis and Genesis 2. I think that a lone could have helped quench a lot of fires.

Also bear in mind the old adage fo pleasing everyone all the time...it just won't happen ever.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited August 2013

who is Dawn? where? all links to "it" are removed

whats going on?

p.s.
    about v4 vs. non-v4 - imho, genesis with genx is the option. while genesis 2 is pretty useless (how much made for it yet? 2-3 things? lol) imho, genesis' blending of shaped and autofit are win , imho

p.s.s.

but mentioning other content marketplaces

eh??? but i always see mentioning of RS and R-DNA here

Post edited by akmerlow on
    edited December 1969

Direct link could be considered a promotion but if you Google "The Dawn of New Era DS Poser" forth link would be the link to facebook page of the company that makes her and from that name you can find a site.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I have Aiko3 and she is my primary figure. Yes I have the rest of the Gen3 line plus the Gen4 models along with Genesis and Genesis 2 female. But I dont use the rest except for once in a blue moon. I dont buy much anymore, I am happy and content with what I have but when I do buy, its either non figure stuff, older Gen3 stuff or something like shoes, boots or hair that I can fit to Aiko3. So am I going to check out Dawn? No. I already decided that I am not going to bother with a figure that will get played with for about 5min and then laid to rest, never to be used again.

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited August 2013

I got the starter bundle and some other morphs and so far I like her because she doesn't look like a model. It should have better morphs at launch instead of starter version for more in depth customization. As Kattey mentioned, she have that athletic type of look.

She does bend a bit weird after I try making some poses. Probably I got used to G2F lol.

I'll welcome her to her new friends. I hope they don't kill each other like that video that Wendy posted earlier haha.

Post edited by Zenrel on
    edited December 1969

2 Kattey

thanks
    took a look - can't see any "revolution"
    also, "xxx for Dawn" now will spam markets and steal attention

p.s.

yes aiko 3 is alive and - sadly - genx aiko 3 has problems

edited August 2013

akmerlow said:
    2 Kattey

thanks
    took a look - can't see any "revolution"

She isn't - she is on par with G2F with some improvements here, some flaws there, and she uses same technology at least in DS. But, on another hand, she never claimed to be a revolution, unlike G2F did with its flimsy "gender-specifics" explanations. And Poser users in general seem to get a better deal than DS users with her what can't be said for G2F.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

akmerlow said:
    who is Dawn? where? all links to "it" are removed

whats going on?

p.s.
    about v4 vs. non-v4 - imho, genesis with genx is the option. while genesis 2 is pretty useless (how much made for it yet? 2-3 things? lol) imho, genesis' blending of shaped and autofit are win , imho

p.s.s.

but mentioning other content marketplaces

eh??? but i always see mentioning of RS and R-DNA here

Check out the two sites whose name we dare not mention for fear of being struck down by a lightning bolt. Dawn has infested both.

Personally, I already have V4, V5 and V6. I also have a thing about dressing them in ankle-length fantasy and historical gowns. When Dawn acquires a few of these, I will take a look at her but not until then.

edited December 1969

And what about "creating slender woman with petite breasts"? While V4 things had success with that (in both all those NPM for breasts and overall figure proportions), in G2F, for example, though having "small breast" shape parametre BUT can't find any good for overall figure - "THIN" shape just make g2f look anorexic =(

Anyway when i'm thinking about "in what G2F is better" for me it's about..belly )

edited August 2013

Check out the two sites whose name we dare not mention for fear of being struck down by a lightning bolt. Dawn has infested both.
    Aw, c'mon, give her her release spotlight :)

When Dawn acquires a few of these, I will take a look at her but not until then.

I don't know about historical but Mec4D is making something very nice for her with some long skirt-like things, you might want to check out ZBrush forum on HW.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Its only a mass product release at the other stores for the same figure. We will see how long that lasts compared to the regular output of V4 items.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

*snipped*

I have just mentioned Renderosity in another thread, and I saw no lightning bolt :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    *snipped*

I have just mentioned Renderosity in another thread, and I saw no lightning bolt :coolsmirk:

Sheesh, woman - give the generator time to charge will you? Kids today, always wanting their lightning bolts NOW!

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    *snipped*

Sheesh, woman - give the generator time to charge will you? Kids today, always wanting their lightning bolts NOW!

But I want it nooooooooooooooooooooow!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited August 2013

Frankly, I had high hopes for Dawn.
    DAZ really burned my biscuits with all that G2 nonsense.
    It is a deep burn too. You can can file it down with a butter knife, drown it in said butter and call it toast.
    Nope.
    I no longer purchase G1 or G2. Why bother?

That being said, after looking at a dozen pieces of wardrobe and seeing the words: "Poser only" "Poser 9" "Poser hates you" "Vote for Poser" "etc"
    I am afraid I don't see much support for Dawn from me either.

The good news is, I have saved so much money I'm buying a house boat!

*sails away*

Post edited by Ippotamus on
    edited August 2013

Ippotamus said:

That being said, after looking at a dozen pieces of wardrobe and seeing the words: "Poser only" "Poser 9" "Poser hates you" "Vote for Poser" "etc"

Actually I just fit 100% Poser outfit to Dawn (Xurge's Rogue) without going through any refit/transfer options. You put it into Poser-mapped runtime and load as usual. It pops up an autofit panel but you just select None and None, and it fits it to Dawn. Later you can just resave it as a figure if you don't want to go through this process again.
    Dynamic clothes won't work this way, surely, but they never did for DS users.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I downloaded her. . I neither like nor dislike dawn. I am sort of saturated with the female form with the release of g2, and she's okay but nothing great.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2013

Far more impressed with Dawn than G1,G2 though the first and last are still a WIP. The development team is comprised of names you probably heard if you were using Studio back in the day and they are listening to their customers and I think it's a step in the right direction.
    V4 has had several years of vendors building a library of textures, morphs and accessories for her, Dawn has been out for less than 24 hours.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Ippotamus said:

Actually I just fit 100% Poser outfit to Dawn (Xurge's Rogue) without going through any refit/transfer options. You put it into Poser-mapped runtime and load as usual. It pops up an autofit panel but you just select None and None, and it fits it to Dawn. Later you can just resave it as a figure if you don't want to go through this process again.
    Dynamic clothes won't work this way, surely, but they never did for DS users.

Yes, I understand that some items will work.
    Unfortunately some items will not work.
    Or will need levels of tweaking that I am not interested in pursuing. It is one of the same reasons I loath Genesis 2.
    And for all the goodwill this all started with, it seems many people are simply not interested in supporting DAZ Studio at all.
    And hey, that is ok. Total freedom of choice.
    But until there is a universal return policy, I'm not sifting through the piles.

I think the primary developers had their heart in the right place.
    But the 3rd party developers/sites have spoken loud and quite clear.
    Business as usual.

edited December 1969

And here I was thinking what would happen if morph creators would give her more morphs. I made a quick morph transfer of some Genesis morphs to Dawn to fill some gaps but mostly used Basics, Alexis and RawArt's Minimorphs. She wears some both her own (Poser version of Xurge's Rogue for her) and Genesis outfits (latter is yet another quick transfer thing).

I don't know if she is pretty or not as my views on female prettiness tend to be quite different but saying that she can't anything else than athletic isn't correct either.

DawnisStillLittle.jpg
    638 x 880 - 95K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2013

When I 1st loaded her I thought in the words of Miss Swan "She looka lika man" Nothing I really need at this point. Deleted from my Runtime unless some goodies & freebies for DS pop up down the road.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited August 2013

Personally, I already have V4, V5 and V6. I also have a thing about dressing them in ankle-length fantasy and historical gowns. When Dawn acquires a few of these, I will take a look at her but not until then.

She had both of those on day-of-launch, just not at her home website. Google "Vienna for Dawn" or "Wedding Day for Dawn"...

(What? The wedding dress is historical - it's from last year! Well, at least it's ankle-length.)

Post edited by robkelk on