How do I make the store show me only PC installer files?

Voodoo128Voodoo128 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Please assist, I think I've either gone blind , looking in the wrong place or the feature is just not there. But how do I hide the Mac installers in the store like I was able to in the old store?

Thank you

Comments

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No you have not gone blind. That feature is no longer available. :(
    I'd love to have that one back, along with one that would weed out all the Daz Studio files I don't need. It can get very confusing trying to find all the files you need for your particular software/OS.
    Oh well....

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D is switching to zip files, so there won't be separate PC and Mac downloads.

• Voodoo128Voodoo128 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Does that mean they are updating all the old installers to use ZIPs as well? I have over ahem.... well lets not go there.... but lets say I have WAY too much content, if I have to go through Mac and PC installers for download resets it's somewhat of a pain.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited June 2012

As cinaira pointed out, the feature is not currently available, but it might be worth picking it up as a wider point as there have been a bunch of similar questions over the past few weeks. I don't work for DAZ, but looking the store implementation from the IT side, not just the customer side, it's clear that a lot of the implications of changing the store just aren't obvious to people who don't have the IT perspective and it might help to lay them out.

The old DAZ store was very heavily customized to suit our needs, in fact, as I understand it, the entire store was developed in-house, which is almost unheard of. The reasons for replacing it as unmaintainable are undoubtedly sound, I've been responsible for maintaining an obsolete, extremely complex programme with no support and it was a nightmare, software like that reaches the point that the slightest change risks bringing the whole house of cards crashing down around your ears.

So the old store had to go, and the only reasonable way to replace it is with a commercially available package, as then the vendor is responsible for maintenance over the longer term even if DAZ handle the day to day stuff in house. That's a plus point, it means we get a reliable store once the initial teething problems have been dealt with (I think they should have been dealt with better, but that's beside the point). The downside is we get a generic replacement, that doesn't include customized options like only showing one or the other of the PC and MAC files, and a lot of features of the old store would count as customized. It's possible DAZ will eventually customize the new store to provide this feature or that feature, but they need to crawl before they can run, so don't hold your breath waiting for them any time soon - though DAZ-soon might well apply!

Some features of the old store we may never get back, if I was in charge of the implementation of the new store I'd certainly be arguing for the minimum level of customization possible, because the less customization the more reliable the store will be. That may sound harsh, but ultimately people (us!) will adapt to the new store, adapting the new store to the people may be less wise and ultimately make the store more unreliable/less easily updateable, which is where we came in!

Post edited by DWG on
    edited December 1969

Voodoo128 said:
    Does that mean they are updating all the old installers to use ZIPs as well? I have over ahem.... well lets not go there.... but lets say I have WAY too much content, if I have to go through Mac and PC installers for download resets it's somewhat of a pain.

Yes, in fact many of the older products are already available as Zips -- they've set the Zips live for products that have old Mac installers which don't work on current Macs.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Yeah, many of the old items I bought recently (old as in several years old - things for V3, A3, H3) were already ZIPs. But all the new things I bought were still EXE files. I would have thought that since they claim they are changing to ZIP files, they would start packaging especially the NEW content in ZIPs. But no, all new releases I have seen so far are EXEs. The logic of this escapes me. They will have to change them to ZIP files later after all, so why not spare the hard work and release them as ZIPs right away?

edited December 1969

As I understand it, they wanted to wait until the Install Manager was ready before switching everything to Zips, but they wanted to get the Zips out for older products that won't install on current Macs.