What's with the name 'Bryce'?

K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi, fellas. New here (though I've been at the Commons quite often). Been playing with Bryce a little over the last few months. Real fascinating program. Am pretty excited at the prospect of creating some really great landscapes with this. (Good tutorials on creating nice skies and clouds seem hard to find, though... David Brinnen's one is too fast...)

There's just one thing that intrigues me. Why the name 'Bryce'? Why not John or Harry or Rodriguez? Is there some special reason? :)

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2012

If wikipedia is right the name comes from Bryce Canyon.

stolen quote

The name is taken from Bryce Canyon—a rugged region with many of the same landscapes that were first simulated with the software.[4]

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Where is this Bryce Canyon?

And one wonders in turn how Bryce Canyon got its name... :-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

I always think of Bryce Courtney the Australian Author though I KNOW there is no connection.
    if they called it Freddy it would still be the same program.
    but then I think of Carrara on the Gold coast in Queensland instead of a region in Italy
    Daz Studio is Shaz's boyfriend's hairdressing salon,
    Hexagon is a six person boi band that plays at the local pub!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bryce Canyon, as it happens, is in Utah, and was named after a Mormon pioneer.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,105
    edited December 1969

I'm not entirely certain why Bryce was named Bryce. At the beginning, there was Benoit Mandelbrot who started the fractal business. One of his students was Ken Musgrave and he applied the fractals to landscapes. Eric Wenger learned from Musgrave and wrote a 3D landscaper for himself. Kai Krause joined in and Bryce 1 was born. I think since all began with fractal landscapes and the Bryce Canyon is a good example for that, that name was choosen for the program. Bryce 1 came out in July 1994 for the Mac.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited June 2012

It was named after Bryce Canyon, iirc... it was Kai Krause who came up with the name. Kai was also the one who designed the Poser interface and came up with some very interesting photoshop plugins that Corel later bought, which included one of the first morphing programs (morph your face with your pet's, etc...) Kai was in love with the rock formations, colors and play of light in the canyon and thought it was fitting for the name of software used to build landscapes.

Bryce_Canyon.jpg
    600 x 450 - 91K
    Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    Hi, fellas. New here (though I've been at the Commons quite often). Been playing with Bryce a little over the last few months. Real fascinating program. Am pretty excited at the prospect of creating some really great landscapes with this. (Good tutorials on creating nice skies and clouds seem hard to find, though... David Brinnen's one is too fast...)

If it is the first one DAZ uploaded then blame DAZ since it was not a tutorial in the first place - it was a technical demonstration for the steering committee.

Try these two for more gentle pacing.

http://vimeo.com/21208056
    http://vimeo.com/21211529

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:

If it is the first one DAZ uploaded then blame DAZ since it was not a tutorial in the first place - it was a technical demonstration for the steering committee.

Try these two for more gentle pacing.

http://vimeo.com/21208056
    http://vimeo.com/21211529

Thank you :)

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Thanks from me, too! Can't wait to create some majestic skies with big marshmallow clouds in them!

Fascinating how much history there can be in the mere name of a piece of software. Really picked up a few things today...

I always think of Bryce Courtney the Australian Author though I KNOW there is no connection.
    if they called it Freddy it would still be the same program.
    but then I think of Carrara on the Gold coast in Queensland instead of a region in Italy
    Daz Studio is Shaz's boyfriend's hairdressing salon,
    Hexagon is a six person boi band that plays at the local pub!

I'd prefer to think of Hexagon as a New-Age soloist who plays futuristic space music using complex synthesizers. ;-)

Wendy's got a fertile imagination. :lol: