Post Your Space Scenes

nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just trying to get the best and close to realism space scenes I can. I had to retexture my space ships using the Steel shader so I could get them to look as close to real as I possibly could.

Frigates on a mission.

Comments

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Battlestar Ouroboros cruising thru space.

ouroboros_v2_-_Steel_-_04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 77K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Nice work! I should try and find (and resurrect) my space tips and tricks thread. There was a lot of good info in there.

Here's one I did for the thread.

ringed-planet-possible-fina.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited August 2013

Great scene! A lot to see.

Nice work! I should try and find (and resurrect) my space tips and tricks thread.

I did a search for space tips tricks, didn't see a thread. Point me to it when you get a chance, please.

Update: OK, I found it by scrolling thru your post list:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13170/

The search feature on this forum is definitely broken. Better to use Google for the search: tips tricks space site:daz3d.com/forums

Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited December 1969

I found it in Google. Probably at the same time you found the link scrolling through my posts. ;-)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13170/

Holly has an extremely helpful tutorial on making a sun. Even if you never make a sun model, the knowledge you can gain about the Texture room is invaluable!

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I'll second the request for the space tips!

Not sure if it is all that realistic, but I recently did an animation recreating the Apollo 17 launch from the moon. Link is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_dY5vPk3g

Apollo_17_launch.PNG
    932 x 523 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Hey, it's a decent animation.

I took some time to create a few myself, but haven't done much in that department because of the time it has taken me to re-texture my models. I get a lot of models that are from vendors like Richard Jeferies that need textures,

edited December 1969

That is pretty good. You got the look right for the lift off with the particles. The only thing you may want to do is somehow add noise and imperfections to the video.

edited December 1969

Here's an extremely rough cut sample of some shots I'm working on for a longer animation. It's really rough at the moment, but I like some of the more iconic shots and may re-render a couple other shots to better match the look.
    http://youtu.be/iS-sNje4k0o

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited December 1969

This is so bizarre. I'm rendering a space sequence as we speak! :)

edited December 1969

It's experimental. You know how the first Star Wars movie opens with that super long shot of the star destroyer passing over? Well this is sort of like that, but a few seconds in, Rosie comes slamming up to the camera and stays in the camera's view for the remainder. She's in one of her fighter crafts. A Needle Starship that I bought before petipet called himself petipet, but was called geekatplay. I think I own all of the petipet air craft now - that big Vimana Flying Machine was missing from my collection for some crazy reason until just recently. NBow that I have it I'm asking myself why I waited. Thing is just cool! The flyby large craft is a slightly modified HMS Fairborne by Philip Drawbridge. I don't have his Fast Attack craft, and don't recall knowing that his Sub-Mariner was a Carrara model. Gonna have to get those - just 'cause I like Drawbridgep models. The Derstroyer HMS August was my first drawbridgep purchase. Then came the super-killer Deep Space Heavy Cruiser... Oh... man I love that one! The others in his collection are Bryce models. If I ever do get Bryce up and running and find that I enjoy using it, I'll buy those too.

I was going to do this shot (the one I'm rendering now) with Rosie in her Thunderbike by Kibaretto. That's one heck of an attack craft. Very maneuverable with unbeatable acceleration capabilities that most humans can't stomach. The needle was already set up and ready to go - so since my current Carrara play time is limited, I chose this sporty little rig! It is... the Needle reminds me of the really cool racetrack-only sports cars of the 50's and 60's. Vettes and Jaguar, Mercedes... AC Cobra... that cool tiny cockpit with the long, sporting front jam packed with absolute horsepower! General Grievous from Star Wars The Clone Wars has a ship a lot like the Needle. Well, here it is, if you'd like to see the product. I'll name a few more favorites in my petipet collection as well:
    Aircraft Needle (I guess it isn't really even a starship - but that's what I use it for)
    Starship Harpoon - This is the one Rosie took to TheAntFarm's Techno Station in my earlier sample video. I love this ship!
    I guess I don't have The Zeppelin Star yet. When I'm done typing, I shall rectify that. One cool thing about being a PC member. If I got $2, I can buy cool petipet ships!
    The amazing Starship Sky-Hammer
    Steam Dragon I love this, too. And I have a special purpose for this baby.
    Aircraft Condor reminds me of the Flight Vehicle Construction Set - but that I don't have to put together. Cool ship nonetheless.
    Starship Stingray was also going to be used in this shot - but I've decided that I want to make my own textures for it first. Love the shape and versatility of this cool ship.
    Air Car Jumper is another that has escaped my grasp so far. I'll likely add this one soon - as I begin busying my Sci Fi city scene again. I have a lot - but when I look around today - I realize that there's no such thing as too much variety in personal transportation vehicles in a city.
    I was totally tickled pink when he released the Nomad Module!!! Any Star Wars fan has to have one of these!!!
    I bought the Drone Wasp just recently - also for filling Sci Fi Cities - but finding out that this little baby can fulfill many a role! Glad to have it aboard!
    I've already mentioned the Vimana Flying Machine which might just make for the perfect Bad Guy car! I can just see it... that retro escape with the evil, maniacal laughter: "...and I will R U L E the World!"
    And then, just the other day, I've finally bought the Starship Piranha, which rounds out my current petipet Starship collection. Of course I've also got the really cool city and many of his excellent cars and most everything that he sells, for that matter. Great models at a great price is hard for me to pass up - trying to fill a whole movie full of assets in my short, human lifespan.

Sorry for going on so... Just felt it hit the right topic - got me in the mood to share what I've got going on up my sleeve as for the "play" side of Carrara. I could really go off on Sci Fi sets that I've been buying too... but I've typed enough for now. Since I cannot type - it takes me forever to say all of this. So.... we'll talk to you later.

edited December 1969

pnewhook said:
    I'll second the request for the space tips!

Not sure if it is all that realistic, but I recently did an animation recreating the Apollo 17 launch from the moon. Link is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_dY5vPk3g

Very decent! Love it!
    If my animation turns out, I'll post it up. I'm utilizing the Gamma Correction = 2.2 Technique brought to us by Phil Wilkes. I actually just wanted to test it out, and was amazed at the difference it gave my scene. But what was really strange - and I just cannot understand it - but it turned on the render speed! Man! I doubt it's like this across the board - but for this scene, I turned on Ambient Occlusion Only, under Indirect Lighting, instead of going Full Indirect, and left the Sky Light unchecked. Set the Gamma Correction to 2.2 and ran a test. I couldn't believe how much faster it rendered than when the setting were the same, but without any indirect lighting calculations, and no Gamma correction. Otherwise the same. Odd... wouldn't you say? But it made my HMS Fairborne flyby really look nice! It's like adding a bunch of life to the steel construction. Can't wait to see how the whole nine second animation renders out.
    edited December 1969

Here's an extremely rough cut sample of some shots I'm working on for a longer animation. It's really rough at the moment, but I like some of the more iconic shots and may re-render a couple other shots to better match the look.
    So, is that the actual soundtrack theme from that movie? Just asking. I like it.
    Speaking of liking it...
    Dude, I love what you've got going on, here! Sweet!!! Keep going! I want to see MORE!
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited August 2013

Hi move along, there's nothing to see here.

Here's something silly I made a few years ago, mid 2009

The only space scenes are at the beginning.
    You can see why I gave up animation. I just don't have the patience to line things up or reshoot them,

I modelled and rigged and textured all the objects in the video,
    Even the ewocly thingies.

http://youtu.be/4EefRx8lGrE

You can see why I gave up animation. :)
    Oh I already said that.
    But seriously, I now know that with care Carrara could have done a great job of this.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Zim 6

8_0513.jpg
    1441 x 627 - 242K
    edited December 1969

laughing - head wax that was some thing else - love the models

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Zim 6

wow, WOW, that's a beautiful work bigh!

(glad you like watching poor old r2d2 getting spliced, bent, exploded and crushed and fried :) )

edited August 2013

The Derstroyer HMS August was my first drawbridgep purchase.

I bought that one just to see what the modeler did to get the engine exhausts. My budget has me purchasing cheap untextured ships these days though. :)

Oh… man I love that one! The others in his collection are Bryce models. If I ever do get Bryce up and running and find that I enjoy using it, I’ll buy those too.

I have Bryce models, too. I can never get into Bryce, I have tried several times. It's sad reeally, as I think Bryce can do some really great renders.

I'm utilizing the Gamma Correction = 2.2 Technique brought to us by Phil Wilkes.

Gamma correction for a space scene? I am interested to see how this turns out, too.

Most everyone here is talking about animation, I feel like I am stuck in 2002. LOL!

Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited December 1969

Rough cut? Man, that would be like the cream of the crop for me if it was my render.

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you go over to Renderosity, you can check out my gallery there and get a big dose of space scenes.

I started compiling the list of tricks I've cooked up for space scenes and actually started writing it all down. When it got to be 10 pages long, I decided that maybe I should break it up a bit. The section on building star fields was a few pages in itself. That didn't start to cover planets, nebula, individual stars and sun effects.

I FINALLY figured a way to have a star field in a scene with a bi-gradient in the backdrop for GI lighting and black space (that took forever to cheat that one out). Now I can do full animations in one single render with a full blown star field and GI. No more rendering the backdrop separate.

My biggest issue is if I were to crunch together such a tutorial (written tutorial), the question is how to present it? I would prefer c3dexpo again. What other options are practical?

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

That's so funny. I spent last night trying to render a decent looking animated black hole!
    Looks great!
    edited December 1969

Kixum said:
    If you go over to Renderosity, you can check out my gallery there and get a big dose of space scenes.

Hi Kixum,

Yes, I have followed your tutorial for the planet, didn't exactly look like what you showed, but close enough. Thanks for that.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hi move along, there's nothing to see here.

Here's something silly I made a few years ago, mid 2009

The only space scenes are at the beginning.
    You can see why I gave up animation. I just don't have the patience to line things up or reshoot them,

I modelled and rigged and textured all the objects in the video,
    Even the ewocly thingies.

http://youtu.be/4EefRx8lGrE

You can see why I gave up animation. :)
    Oh I already said that.
    But seriously, I now know that with care Carrara could have done a great job of this.

Wendy would be proud! :lol:
    edited December 1969

pnewhook said:

That's so funny. I spent last night trying to render a decent looking animated black hole!
    Looks great!

I put the model on ShareCG. It uses a video file in a self contained Carrara scene. Try it out if you wish!
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/38141/view/5/3D-Model/Black-Hole-scene

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Zim 6

Love the landscape bigh!

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    laughing - head wax that was some thing else - love the models
    Poor R2!!! Thank the force for Roy, eh? Damn he's fast!
    edited August 2013

Wow, that truly is a great image, bigh!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys - happy you like it !
    :-)

edited December 1969

Wow, that truly is a great image, bigh!
    here's my failed animation clip - but it taught me what I needed to know. I can't get over the speed of the render, though. Under three seconds per frame on average! :ahhh:

Try this fire and ditch the prop fire:
    http://carraracafe.com/forum-3?cid=25&show=432

It's what I used in my video. I loaded it and duplicated it, then promoted each duplicate to a master. Then I shuffled each one on the first frame to look a bit different.

For added heat, I put a bulb inside each fire (the fire is set to not cast shadows or receive shadows) and then adjusted the color of the light to match the flames. I also enabled the light sphere and enabled the realistic option. You'll need to adjust the size and intensity of the sphere effect based on the scale of the flame. I also added a lens flare and dialed back the size and intensity a bit.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Zim 6

Absolutely stunning!

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

It does not look like a rough cut at all.

This is a great animation and the music adds a fantastic element to the “story”.

Well done!