Steam Aircraft Dragon

grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
edited June 2012 in The Commons

In the daz site image the craft has a vertical and horizontal stabilizer, but when i load it in the scene it doesn't. is this correct?

Post edited by grpruett on

Comments

• chriscoxchriscox Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

The tail and rudders show up when I load it in Poser. Not sure why there are missing in D/S

• grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Okay, it works in my Poser program too. I created an object file for it and I was able to drag it into DAZ studio whole as an object file.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Just a thought - DAZ issued a stealth update to version 1.1. I don't know what changed from 1.0. I haven't installed it yet. If you have version 1.0, you could reset it and download again. Maybe your problem has been fixed.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited June 2012

So you all actually paid $99.95 for this steam Aircraft Dragon? I mean that's what I'm seeing as the price and that's the price that shows in my cart. Nor do I see anything on the page indicating it's free or cheaper if you buy another product like Daz did with the Fight Club Boxing shoes. Surely it's a mistake, far better products have been released for way less.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • edited December 1969

So you all actually paid $99.95 for this steam Aircraft Dragon? I mean that's what I'm seeing as the price and that's the price that shows in my cart. Nor do I see anything on the page indicating it's free or cheaper if you buy another product like Daz did with the Fight Club Boxing shoes. Surely it's a mistake, far better products have been released for way less.

Apparently it's supposed to be a Platinum Club freebie, and it's priced so high so no one else will buy it. I swear there was a thread about that, but I can't find it now...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You mean this thread? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2982/

Yes it is a PC Freebe. I'm 100% sure the price will be normal after the PC give away ends. That's the end of July.

edited December 1969

The DAZ store has started a new PC Perk for the members because the new store took away some PC features. The Monthly Free item is the new Perk. Untill the item can only be free to PC members and not to other DAZ members you will see HUGE prices on those items. I'm sure a store update will be coded to fix the need for this very soon. ;-P As in DAZ SOON! LOL!!

• edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Bless you, good sir. Exactly that thread.

edited December 1969

ThinMick said:

Bless you, good sir. Exactly that thread.You are more than Welcome, happy to be useful.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

chriscox said:
    The tail and rudders show up when I load it in Poser. Not sure why there are missing in D/S

every thing is in 1.0 and show up in DS 4 for me

edited December 1969

I got version 1.1 in my download and it also has the missing sections in DS4. The broke item in Poser issue could be the reason for the updated files as stated before.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

ThinMick said:

Apparently it's supposed to be a Platinum Club freebie, and it's priced so high so no one else will buy it. I swear there was a thread about that, but I can't find it now...

Ah okay, that makes sense. I wish Daz would just put, "available to PC members only at this time" rather then some riddiculous price. I would think that would have a better chance of encouraging new membership rather then hoping someone interested also see's a forum thread explaining things. I mean if I'm a new customer chances are I'm not getting a newsletter that might clue me in, there's also a good chance I'm not active in the forums yet, so I'd see that price and think "Holy Cow! These people are crazy if they think I'm going to pay $100 for that. This place is too rich for my blood, maybe I should shop elsewhere?"

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    chriscox said:

every thing is in 1.0 and show up in DS 4 for me

1_steam_dragon.jpg
    800 x 800 - 282K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,195
    edited December 1969

Which version of DS are those of you with missing tails using? There's an entry in the changelog for 4.5 about fixing a bug with geometry belonging to the root node, so it's possible that the current 4.5 beta version has an issue there that will be fixed in the enxt RC (or the release version, whichever comes next).

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I am on the last official release of DS4, not the 4.5RC betas. The entire object loads. However, only some of the morph controls work. E.g., the propeller and wheels spin, but the tail/rudder adjustment does nothing.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

ThinMick said:

Ah okay, that makes sense. I wish Daz would just put, "available to PC members only at this time" rather then some riddiculous price. I would think that would have a better chance of encouraging new membership rather then hoping someone interested also see's a forum thread explaining things. I mean if I'm a new customer chances are I'm not getting a newsletter that might clue me in, there's also a good chance I'm not active in the forums yet, so I'd see that price and think "Holy Cow! These people are crazy if they think I'm going to pay $100 for that. This place is too rich for my blood, maybe I should shop elsewhere?"

I speculate that the new store is not yet able to make a product only available for purchase by the PC club, and that it's one of many things in the list of "stuff that needs to be done to fix the store."

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited June 2012

ThinMick said:

I speculate that the new store is not yet able to make a product only available for purchase by the PC club, and that it's one of many things in the list of "stuff that needs to be done to fix the store."

I'm thinking they hope a few idiots buy it at that price to make up for it being free.

Post edited by ledhead on
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Studio I'm using is 4.5.0.49 Pro Edition version

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone...

This is what I have found testing 14364_SteamAircraftDragon_v1.1_dpc

DS 1.5 Bld1 32bit - loads and works as expected

DS 3.1.2.32 32bit - loads and works as expected

Poser 7 32bit - loads and works as expected

PoserPro2012 32bit - loads and works as expected

DS 4.0.3.47 32bit - loads all geometry and bones but the geometry references for the tail and rudder bones are missing. The bones move as they should with the parameter sliders but have no effect on the geometry. I copied the figure into the Figure Setup pane and found that the references for the geometry were listed as 'none' for the tail and rudder bones. I did the same in DS 3 and the geometry references are listed correctly for the tail and rudder. I even went so far as to export a new .cr2 from DS 3 and open in DS 4 and it still did not list the geometry for the tail and rudder.

DS 4.5.0.49 32bit - loads all bones. loads geometry minus the tail and rudder. I checked the Polygon Group Editor and the face and surface groups for the tail and rudder list 0 faces. The bones are present and work as expected with the parameter sliders but have no effect on the geometry since it is not there.

I read through the .cr2 file in a text editor and could not find anything wrong in any of the tail and rudder groups. I could have missed something but I don't know what, since the .cr2 works in all the other versions.

If I were to take a guess, I would think it is probably a bug in DS4 and DS4.5, but then why doesn't it happen with other bone nodes in the hierarchy, or other .cr2's, or even other .cr2's that have the same bone hierarchy structure? :blank:

I don't know... maybe someone will be able to figure this one out... I'm baffled... :roll:

I did however manage to re-rig it in the Skeleton Setup pane and every thing worked as it should. But I forgot to export the .cr2 before closing DS4 so I couldn't retest it. ..DHOH... :shut:

I may try it again this weekend.

edited December 1969

Search the OBJ file for the group names - search for g followed by a space - and then paste the lines for the missing parts. DS4 did have a problem with mesh belonging to multiple groups, but that was fixed and most content is working correctly so this must be something more complex. You could also import the OBJ into the Figure Setup pane and see what groups are listed.

edited December 1969

OK, I've just done that and it looks as if the groups have both the actual group name and the name appended to Frame, with the compound name first. I suspect that that's throwing out the fix for multiple group names on a single line.

Search the OBJ file for

g FrameTail Tail

and replace it with

g Tail

Similarly, replace

g FrameRudders Rudders

with

g Rudders

and it should load correctly.

edited June 2012

Here's a work-around if you have Poser that is capable of spawning props.

While using my Poser program, i Spawn tail and rudder props and saved the props to a folder. Since DAZ still has the rudder and tail names in the scene tab, I load the newly created props within the scene and parent the tail prop to the tail within the scene and then parent the rudder prop to the rudder with the scene. I created spin propeller props as well.

Once that is done, everything works as normal.

Post edited by grpruett on
    edited December 1969

from Richard Haseltine
    Search the OBJ file for the group names - search for g followed by a space - and then paste the lines for the missing parts. DS4 did have a problem with mesh belonging to multiple groups, but that was fixed and most content is working correctly so this must be something more complex. You could also import the OBJ into the Figure Setup pane and see what groups are listed.

OK, I've just done that and it looks as if the groups have both the actual group name and the name appended to Frame, with the compound name first. I suspect that that's throwing out the fix for multiple group names on a single line.

Oooh.... I didn't even think to check the OBJ... :shut: :red:

Thanks Richard :cheese: and I did notice that those groups came in with the double names and I don't think they were listed that way in the .cr2, can't remember right now, and I forgot all about that grouping issue in DS4.

Again Thank You, Thank You... I knew I missed something and figured you would catch it.... I'll try it out when I get home from work tonite :-)

edited December 1969

Search the OBJ file for

g FrameTail Tail

and replace it with

g Tail

Similarly, replace

g FrameRudders Rudders

with

g Rudders

and it should load correctly.

Can you give me a clue in where to look for g FrameTail Tail and g FrameRudders Rudders? I'm just finding Dragon.obj within the Geometries folder.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Open that Dragon.obj with a text editor. what you're looking for is inside that file.

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Open that Dragon.obj with a text editor. what you're looking for is inside that file.

Cheers,

Cliff

Found it. Thanks.

Is there a fix for the spin propellers?

edited December 1969

What was the problem with the propellers? The spin control seems to be working, at least at a quick test.

edited December 1969

When I click on the Spin Propellers, the Propellers seem to vanish completely. Here's a image of it.

screenshot.jpg
    800 x 800 - 143K
    edited December 1969

Definitely not seeing that, and the only edits I made were the two to the OBJ mentioned above.

edited June 2012

This is in 4.5 ? That's very odd... in all my tests I ran through each of the controls both at the root and at the bone levels and that never occured.

I won't be able to test it though for another 7 hours until I get home from work.

Very strange....

ETA: I just remembered, but I don't know if it makes any difference, there are some hidden bones, Hatch1, Hatch2 and if I remember correctly a second Propeller bone. It's a disc on each engine behind the propellers. You can see them if you switch the view to wire-shaded. But again I don't know if that is what is causing your missing propellers.

Post edited by niccipb on