DSON Importer for Poser (1.1.0.18) General Release, Now Available!

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited October 2013 in Poser Discussion

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the General Release version of DSON Importer for Poser version 1.1.0.18!

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 1.1.0.18 version resolves several issues and implements many improvements since the 1.0.0.56 General Release. All new downloads of the DSON Importer for Poser product (SKU: 14897) will be of this version. A Change Log with additional information can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site.

General Release version (1.1.0.18) highlights are:

1) Added support for the OpenSubdiv Catmark subdivision algorithm
2) Added support for OpenSubdiv subdivision edge and/or vertex weights/creasing
3) Added support for Hierarchical Pose Presets
4) Added support for non-normalized TriAx Weighted figures

Has the Genesis Starter Essentials content been updated?

YES, the Genesis Starter Essentials content that is provided with the product has been updated.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DSON Importer for Poser product to your account, you can locate it within the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "DSON Importer for Poser" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the "Download" button next to the file(s) you wish to download and install.

If you have NOT previously added the DSON Importer for Poser product to your account, simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here. Within the User Guide section, you will find information relating to:

- Installation and Requirements
- Using the DSON Importer for Poser
- Converting Content for use with the DSON Importer for Poser

Post edited by DAZ_Brian on

Comments

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

Would you please make an on off switch for DSON. I think that would be useful in poser.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Would you please make an on off switch for DSON. I think that would be useful in poser.

Since it is only running when you are using DSON Content, what do you see as a reason for this?
  • McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited June 2013

Have there been any negative issues with DSON and Poser 10/PP 2014?

ALSO: I installed the 32 bit DSON for P9. I wonder if DSON should be completely uninstalled first, then the new 64 bit DSON installed for/to PP2014 x64? Well, I won't be using P9 or PPro7 much any more. PP2014 meets all the needs I've had for all previous versions. So I will uninstall the old DSON. Just wondering IF we *could* keep both 32 and 64 bit versions installed to the respective 32 and 64 bit installations of P9 and PP2014?

Post edited by McGrandpa on
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    Not that we have been able to determine.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Spooky!

• fesfes Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

This new Dson importer seems to have broken in Poser Pro 2014. I select a new character and nothing shows up. Opening up a file with a Genesis character now offsets all the texture files!!!!

****EDIT - Okey dokey, my mistake. I moved a folder by mistake from my Library which I've now put back and all is ok. DAZ's new Install Manager updated and started putting files in the wrong place. So clearly Dson was looking for something it couldn't find.

Silly me! Sorry.

Post edited by fes on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 1969

fes said:
    This new Dson importer seems to have broken in Poser Pro 2014. I select a new character and nothing shows up. Opening up a file with a Genesis character now offsets all the texture files!!!!

Are you sure you've added the folder to which you installed the DSON Core files to PoserPro 2014's list of external libraries?

• fesfes Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry bout that... my mistake. I moved a folder by mistake. I've made an edit to my post above. It's working now.

Cheers

edited December 1969

"Since it is only running when you are using DSON Content, what do you see as a reason for this?"
    In poser 2014 it is possible to use poser skinning and save a genesis as a poser Cr2. It obviously can't autofit more clothes but you can make all the clothes fit prior to saving and save them as well, say for a certain character. Then you can just use the character in poser. Problem is DSON keeps on slowing things down. I may want it on again when I get more clothes for the figure or want to make a new figure etc.
    So yes, there is a good reason for wanting the on off switch.

edited December 1969

esther said:
    "Since it is only running when you are using DSON Content, what do you see as a reason for this?"
    In poser 2014 it is possible to use poser skinning and save a genesis as a poser Cr2. It obviously can't autofit more clothes but you can make all the clothes fit prior to saving and save them as well, say for a certain character. Then you can just use the character in poser. Problem is DSON keeps on slowing things down. I may want it on again when I get more clothes for the figure or want to make a new figure etc.
    So yes, there is a good reason for wanting the on off switch.
    If you aren't using DSON figures, then DSON isn't slowing anything down. It is like saying you need to turn off Wardrobe Wizard when you are not using it.
    edited December 1969

that isn't true I think. the last time I tried poser skinning of a genesis figure and saved it, everytime I reposed I think dson ran anyway but wasn't needed. I think.

edited December 1969

esther said:
    that isn't true I think. the last time I tried poser skinning of a genesis figure and saved it, everytime I reposed I think dson ran anyway but wasn't needed. I think.
    The functions only run when you call them by using a DSON figure. (Like Genesis, Genesis 2, or the Mil Horse 2.) If you are using Poser Content it not only doesn't run, it can't run, unless you specifically call it from your poser content, and you would have to manually add the lines required.
    edited December 1969

Just a quick note for a little thing to pay close attention to when installing DSON:
    SO FAR, the installer has offered me Poser Pro 2012 for the default installation path.
    I've never had PP2012 at all. Only P9 and now PP2014. I paid only cursory attention
    to that and found it wasn't in PP2014. Exploring a little bit showed me a PP2012 folder
    and only the uninstall info and data file for DSON. Re-running the installer asked to
    uninstall the old, then install the new (yes). I then made sure to manually select the
    PP2014 folder and DSON is present and working.
    Just a little thing to keep in mind is all! ;-)

• mitch_67e7b90918mitch_67e7b90918 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:

ALSO: I installed the 32 bit DSON for P9. I wonder if DSON should be completely uninstalled first, then the new 64 bit DSON installed for/to PP2014 x64? Well, I won't be using P9 or PPro7 much any more. PP2014 meets all the needs I've had for all previous versions. So I will uninstall the old DSON. Just wondering IF we *could* keep both 32 and 64 bit versions installed to the respective 32 and 64 bit installations of P9 and PP2014?

I could not get IK on legs to work to use Genesis in Poser Pro 2014 in order to do a walk simulation. Read online that DSON does not support IK for Poser. Has this show stopper been fixed for Genesis 2? Or, am I doing something wrong?

edited June 2013

Snork Y2K said:
    McGrandpa said:

I could not get IK on legs to work to use Genesis in Poser Pro 2014 in order to do a walk simulation. Read online that DSON does not support IK for Poser. Has this show stopper been fixed for Genesis 2? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Oh I wouldn't call that a show stopper, as I don't use IK. Not an animator. So I can't answer that question at all. Sorry.
    PS- I'm delighted that IK is now defaulted to OFF with Figures!

McG.

Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I just installed the newest version of DSON and I get this error, I have also installed Genesis 2 and have the original Genesis files too.

I am on Mac Snow Leopard and I am not a newbie Poser user. I am using Poser Pro 2012 and I have all service updates.

This error killed Poser immediately. Help is appreciated!

Screen_shot_2013-06-22_at_2.13_.09_AM_.png
    399 x 298 - 46K
    edited December 1969

I'm on a mac and it works fine for me. well when I say fine I mean it works but is actually too slow to be useable for me because it is not native to poser. even turning subd to zero doesn't speed it up much. everytime I pose my figure it takes forever for a little dson script to run. And loading clothes takes ages.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

I wish daz would make some sort of native poser V6 - even if it didn't have all the functionality of genesis, I would probably be happy.

• TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    I'm on a mac and it works fine for me. well when I say fine I mean it works but is actually too slow to be useable for me because it is not native to poser. even turning subd to zero doesn't speed it up much. everytime I pose my figure it takes forever for a little dson script to run. And loading clothes takes ages.
    Love esther

I have uninstalled and everything. It worked fine until now, when I updated it.

• edited December 1969

Is there any trick to be aware of if I want to have DSON working for two versions of Poser both running on the same Windows 7 PC? I have been using Poser 9 with DSON happily but sidegraded to poser 10 and like I did with previous version changes I would like to keep both versions working for a while until I'm sure Poser 10 is happy and I'm happy with it.
    I figure I should just go through the install process as I did with poser 9 but:
    -I want to make sure in doing so the installer is unlikely to do something to break DSON imported functionality in Poser 9.
    -I maintain a seperate runtime for all my DSON imported content and if at all possible would like to share it between the two versions of Poser, like I would for any other runtime collection before.
    -Thanks

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Is there any trick to be aware of if I want to have DSON working for two versions of Poser both running on the same Windows 7 PC? I have been using Poser 9 with DSON happily but sidegraded to poser 10 and like I did with previous version changes I would like to keep both versions working for a while until I'm sure Poser 10 is happy and I'm happy with it.
    I figure I should just go through the install process as I did with poser 9 but:
    -I want to make sure in doing so the installer is unlikely to do something to break DSON imported functionality in Poser 9.
    -I maintain a seperate runtime for all my DSON imported content and if at all possible would like to share it between the two versions of Poser, like I would for any other runtime collection before.
    -Thanks

Just add the runtime you're using in Poser 9 to Poser 10 -- you don't need to duplicate the content.

• edited December 1969

How wonderfully simple. great, thanks!

• Alt260Alt260 Posts: 25
    edited January 2014

Hi, I have a little issue when I load Genesis or Genesis 2 in Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1, if I move the arms up the torso mess up.
    In Daz 4.6 all work well but when I use DSON for Poser Pro 2012 I am geting this issues.
    How could I fix that??
    All ready try to reinstall all but still fail.
    Thank you,

In Image,
    Left = Genesis
    Right = Genesis 2

The new update version have fix this issue:
    DSON Importer for Poser 1.1.1.39 Win64.exe

DSON_IssuesB.png
    714 x 818 - 153K
    Post edited by Alt260 on
  • Casina_Casina_ Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

genesis ik chains:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67133/

• Alt260Alt260 Posts: 25
    edited August 2013

No, it is not the ik chains, I download it to try but still same issue with the torso mesh when moving one or two arms up.

It look more to me as a Daz morph that DSON do not transfert to Poser. Or a weight map issue.

In Daz 4.6 if you move the arms up, you will notice a small delay before the morph load to the figure, and before it load in Daz you will see it like this with the same torso mesh mess up.

Thank's for your answer Casina_,

Post edited by Alt260 on
  • QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Love esther

I'm on windows 7 and I have Poser 9, all updates. I did get DSON to work although in the end it absolutely killed my machine. It didn't crash the program but everything came to a standstill. Hopefully, this version will work just a little bit better.

In the end I hope to use it for the Gen 3 legacy figures but it's a pricey to buy four four add-ons.

Still, Genesis is the future of DAZ, I hope I can get on board before they come out with Genesis 3.

edited December 1969

so, maybe I didn't explain my question about an on off switch for dson.
    Gen 2 for example can be converted in poser pro 2014 using poser skinning so I could make a character using genesis, morph it the way I want and save it as a Cr2 and not need DSON anymore for that particular character anymore. It's a new poser pro 2014 feature. However unfortunately dson still runs when I repose the figure.
    I'm not sure you understood the problem DAZSpookey. That's why I want an on-off switch for dson.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    I wish daz would make some sort of native poser V6 - even if it didn't have all the functionality of genesis, I would probably be happy.

Then PAs would have to make separate versions of their clothing for both Poser and DAZ since the rigging would have to be different. Besides, you were having problems with the load times. I don't think others are. I didn't have problems on my older, slower computer or my new, faster one.

Did you ever get that sorted out, by the way?

edited December 1969

Hi, yes, separate clothes rigging I think is what is happening with Dawn isn't it? Also poser has a fitting room that works quite well so maybe clothes wouldn't be such an issue.

Anyway getting back to the question of poser in genesis, everytime I use a genesis figure with clothes conformed and I change pose, I see this little dson window running and slowing things down. It's just too slow on my computer to be useable, and yet I can have lots of V4s and M4s in a scene quite happily so I don't think it is my computer being overly slow. If i was making art pictures with a single poser person in a portrait then i think it would be useable, but I mostly use poser for my comic where I try to make lots of posing changes with lots of figures in a scene, so sadly I don't think genesis is going to be an option for me in poser.

Well if DAZ would make an DSON on off switch it would be handy I think.

Love esther

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

There's a setting in the DSON Importer preferences that you can turn off that might help speed it up, butI forget what it's called. It stops DSON from showing the processes going on while it loads.