crazy file names!

johnnvjohnnv Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am currently running explorer 9 on windows 7 and this is what I get when I purchase any products from the store. The download file name I got after ordering a product was this: MC42NzA3NjMwMCAxMzQwNDg3NcxMjAOMDgyODUyMDM2zOtg1MTMxMDE,/. After numerous emails to DAZ and half a dozen phone calls I'm told they are having issues with Windows 7.
Anybody else?

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Try using something other than Internet Exploder for the downloads. Several people have reported problems with IE and downloads, which diminish when using FF or Chrome.

Kendall

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Note that you can install an alternative browser and use it for this without having to make it your default, if you prefer IE.

• sc1969sc1969 Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'm having the same issues today.

edited December 1969

Just a data point. I've downloaded many files today without issue using FireFox 12, Chrome, and Konqueror (KDE Browser).

Kendall

PS: The error message at the end of the archive has changed.

edited December 1969

Awesome - now all I have to do is download another browser to access the site here? Well Done Daz.:down:

edited December 1969

sc1969 said:
    Awesome - now all I have to do is download another browser to access the site here? Well Done Daz.:down:

Or look at it this way... a good reason to use a non-broken browser. There's always an upside. :-)

Kendall

edited December 1969

Installation of an alternative browser to use with one website that doesn't work with IE.?

Waiter - Can I have my reality check?

edited December 1969

sc1969 said:
    Installation of an alternative browser to use with one website that doesn't work with IE.?

Ummm. Not quite. Type "sites incompatible with IE" into google and set the time for the last month. Look at the pages upon pages of IE failures for just that one phrase.

Your computer is capable of using more than one tool to do the job. If one tool is incapable of doing the job, use a tool for that job that works. Use IE where it works, don't where it doesn't. Why limit yourself due to someone else's limitations? Simple as 1,2,3.

Kendall

edited December 1969

sc1969 said:

Ummm. Not quite. Type "sites incompatible with IE" into google and set the time for the last month. Look at the pages upon pages of IE failures for just that one phrase.

Your computer is capable of using more than one tool to do the job. If one tool is incapable of doing the job, use a tool for that job that works. Use IE where it works, don't where it doesn't. Why limit yourself due to someone else's limitations? Simple as 1,2,3.
    Kendall

There may be millions for all I know or care - the thing that I want to know is - What part of IE is broken so that it now can't use the download features on the Daz website?

I have the latest IE 9 according to Winodws update - I can't update to anything later which seems to be working for *some* people according to the store issues sticky.

I personally dont use any other sites that dont work with IE9 right now - if I did then I guess it would be something I'd be complaining to them about too.

I'm prepared to log a bug with Microsoft for this - IF someone can tell me what the problem is. Otherwise I'll assume it's a coding issue with the web site. (eg .. using something that doesn't support all browsers and wasn't tested with IE9(

edited December 1969

sc1969 said:
    sc1969 said:

Kendall

There may be millions for all I know or care - the thing that I want to know is - What part of IE is broken so that it now can't use the download features on the Daz website?

I have the latest IE 9 according to Winodws update - I can't update to anything later which seems to be working for *some* people according to the store issues sticky.

I personally dont use any other sites that dont work with IE9 right now - if I did then I guess it would be something I'd be complaining to them about too.

I'm prepared to log a bug with Microsoft for this - IF someone can tell me what the problem is. Otherwise I'll assume it's a coding issue with the web site. (eg .. using something that doesn't support all browsers and wasn't tested with IE9(

Yes, there is a problem with the website -- Yes, there are problems with IE in general. However, the problem for you is that IE won't download your files correctly in your environment. Another free tool will. Why limit yourself due to either Magento's or Microsoft's problems? If you are not out monetarily and it "fixes" your problem right now, why not do what is necessary now to get back to what you want to do? When/if IE starts working for you as expected, then start using it again.

Really... why waste your time penalizing yourself due to something that you can remedy right now? Sure, report the bug to all parties and let them sort it out, but to hold off on doing what you want/need to do over a single tool? Life is too short. If your current hammer is too big to fit into the gap and hit the nail, put it aside and use a smaller hammer to drive that nail.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall - I'm on track - I have the files I want - I have a Macintosh which works just fine.

With respect, I get what you're saying and have worked in IT long enough to know that there are "work-arounds" for most problems - this one may cost me $0 because I can install another piece of software on my primary machine. But it changes the way I have to do things and adds an additional piece of software that I need to keep up to date, patched and secure.

I dont mind if they say - yeah, its something introduced when blah-tweet was updated and we will fix it, - so far that I can tell they've only recommended using a different browser (and not said it's a work around until they fix the site.)

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

You DO realize that you will almost NEVER get any kind of response from DAZ in the forums, right?