ISO... Birth Control Glasses/Geek Glasses

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I need heavy black-framed glasses. The type the military issues and the kind that cut the number of foreign born births by our optically challenged troops down by half at least in all the theaters America operated.

As a bonus, if there are some that have a little piece of tape in the middle, that is just gravy.

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Wow..."birth control glasses"? Could that be any more offensive?

I would look for glasses that have the shape you want, then just color them black using the Diffuse color. The tape you could probably add using a Photoshop brush on the texture/template.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Wow..."birth control glasses"? Could that be any more offensive?

..always. :)

I would look for glasses that have the shape you want, then just color them black using the Diffuse color. The tape you could probably add using a Photoshop brush on the texture/template.

The problem is they are a particular shape. Let me see if I can find some pics.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Wow…“birth control glasses”? Could that be any more offensive?

I believe it is a military term sort of. Dated a guy in the national guard once who called his military issue glasses that.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

If you wear glasses, you get issued BCGs at boot camp. You weren't allowed to wear your own pair until you graduate. It was an ugly piece of plastic that all of a sudden became fashionable. Kind of like bell bottoms, it just never goes away.

BTW, I've been looking for a pair for the longest time, the only set that comes close is ironman13's set, it even comes with braces, I certainly hope she remakes it for genesis.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/i13-accessories-braces-and-glasses/90720

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

I believe it is a military term sort of. Dated a guy in the national guard once who called his military issue glasses that.

Doesn't make it any less offensive, but thanks for explaining the origin. Hope you're able to find what you're looking for.
  • mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

You might try these: Nerd Glasses (comes with tape) or Hipster Glasses (no tape.)

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

I expect it's a slang term for those ugly glasses, and not any official terminology or policy.

As a geek, I swear to you that I have NEVER worn tape on my glasses, and always have gone with wire frame, not plastic. Of course, I've never been in the military. hehe

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

Doesn't make it any less offensive, but thanks for explaining the origin. Hope you're able to find what you're looking for.

That's actually the milder of the two terms I've heard used for military issue eyewear. They're also commonly referred to as RPGs - "Rape Prevention Glasses".

I'm sorry, you probably didn't need to know that. 8-/

• edited December 1969

Ironman13 made a nice set. cant recall off hand what the name was. It is over at renderosity

sdads.jpg
    811 x 630 - 119K
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited July 2013

I usually call them grandmother glasses because my grandmother had thick-framed glasses like that (only not black) and I always remember her a bit when I see something similar.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Ironman's glasses are nearly as opaque as mine! (My real glasses, that is.)

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

For a wide variety of glasses you might also check out Spex (http://www.daz3d.com/spex-for-genesis). I'm pretty sure there are a set of plastic frames in there - meant to be more like Ray Bans I think but change the color of the lens and you should be fine.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    For a wide variety of glasses you might also check out Spex (http://www.daz3d.com/spex-for-genesis). I'm pretty sure there are a set of plastic frames in there - meant to be more like Ray Bans I think but change the color of the lens and you should be fine.

We called them birth control glasses in the Navy, as well. SPEX base glasses are this sort of style, but I also include a preset called "Marvin" which is the typical "nerd" glasses, complete with tape on the bridge.