exporting DAZ model into maya...

hotbaggyhotbaggy Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi all...
I'm in love with some of the DAZ 3D models and wud want to animate them in Maya(coz i feel at home with Maya animation).
The animation is my demo and not commercial purpose. So... i have a few questions here.

1) is it possible to export a model to maya for rigging???
all i need is just the model (no bones, morphs, animation, etc etc) in one single piece. I mean: the whole body as one mesh, hair as another piece and clothes as separate pieces.

2) can the mesh resolution be minimised???

3) and the most important of all.... is there a licence that allows this???

P.S : i tried exporting a model as obj... but its all come in pieces. i mean the whole form of the model is intact but, its not in one piece.

Can anyone help me with my questions???

Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,662
    edited December 1969

Well, you can try FBX - but what options did you use in the OBJ exporter?

As for license, as long as you are not distributing anything but renders (2D still images or animations) then DAZ doesn't care what unspeakable acts you perform on the items between installing and rendering.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

I did some exports from DS4 to maya via fbx. Genesis figure was exported in one piece, rigged with full skeleton that might be posed. If you do not need its rig I think you may build your own one. But I did no checks of morphs or clothes or else. I think it is possible to export hairs and clothes separately and morphs may be baked, too. Genesis lowest resolution is about 18-19k polygones if I'm not mistaken. If you have products of earlier than Genesis generations (other than textures) then every product contains base mesh in obj that used for cr2. Gen 4 and earlier product are usually heavy about polygon count.

• FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 881
    edited December 1969

I think the two important options for exporting to .obj are:
    -Ignore invisible nodes -Write groups (turn it off)

DS4 allows to set the mesh resolution under parameters/mesh resolution. I believe this takes for exports, not 100% sure about it though.
    That aside Maya has a poly reduction option, not perfect, but it works if you don`t overdo it, at least on characters.

• hotbaggyhotbaggy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, you can try FBX - but what options did you use in the OBJ exporter?

As for license, as long as you are not distributing anything but renders (2D still images or animations) then DAZ doesn't care what unspeakable acts you perform on the items between installing and rendering.

Hi Richard... Thank you for replying. You cleared my doubts over the license thing. And FBX worked. thanks a lot
    And for the obj export, i used the default options.

• hotbaggyhotbaggy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks coon and flip mode.... will try out your suggestions too.... thanks a lot for replying. :)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

If someone ever made a video of what an FBX exported Genesis looks like in Maya, I'd be very interested...

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited February 2013

From a discussion in the Carrara section of the forum, Genesis works well using FBX to export to Cinema 4D as well. I agree with Wancow, I would like to see either animations or stills of Genesis in Maya, C4D, or other programs.

Post edited by Zylox on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,761
    edited December 1969

Well there was this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eKjclohSQ

but it appears to have been abandonded

Cheers

edited December 1969

that is FLIPPING AMAZING!!! Am I to understand that with FBX, Genesis is FULLY functional in Maya???? WOW

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    that is FLIPPING AMAZING!!! Am I to understand that with FBX, Genesis is FULLY functional in Maya???? WOW

Curious as to why the excitement. Surely a homeless person as yourself (granted you still are) doesn't have access to $3,675 software, if so, please share how with the class so we can share in the excitement.

edited December 1969

true, I just think it's cool :) I keep thinking: Maybe someday...

Besides, I'm saving. I have a job and I don't pay rent :) (one of the advantages of being homeless is that you don't have to deal with that... Right now I'm saving to replace this machine, though. And the truth is this: I'm really happy with my current pipeline.

There is, however, this issue. If you're working on stuff that can be imported into something like Maya, it sure increases your value in the pipeline. :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info, saving here as well which is why i asked. Personally I dislike that DAZ assets came be imported easily into other apps, mostly because more times than not, it is for game use or other commercial use which leaves DAZ (or any content creator) out in the cold and ripped off..

edited December 1969

I hear you. But that's part of the danger of being in the consumer market. Comes with the territory, I'm afraid.

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Was there a resolution to the exporting, I am asking due to having an issue of my own when exporting from daz to maya
    I have an image to show what I am getting. Its like when imported the figure is stuck to the origin point by this extra item
    on the model, I am not sure if its from the export settings or the import settings. If someone else has had this issue
    and has resolved it please share. Here is the image

Daz_3d_Studio_export_isssue.jpg
    353 x 465 - 37K