2 basic questions about lighting

openlearneropenlearner Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

1) Whenever I add a new light so I can have more than one light, it just replaces my existing light rather than giving me an additional light. This is even if my existing light is not selected at the time I add the new light via the Lights & Cameras pane. How can I have more than one light?

2) With even one light right in front of the character, the preview shows the lighting effects fine but no matter how I move the light around, the render with 3Delight always results in nearly no lighting, an entirely dark character. Is this is a common newbie problem with lighting? Is it not enough to place a light in front of the character and expect to see a result? I'm coming from Blender where this is the normal expectation.

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

1) Whenever I add a new light so I can have more than one light, it just replaces my existing light rather than giving me an additional light. This is even if my existing light is not selected at the time I add the new light via the Lights & Cameras pane. How can I have more than one light?

2) With even one light right in front of the character, the preview shows the lighting effects fine but no matter how I move the light around, the render with 3Delight always results in nearly no lighting, an entirely dark character. Is this is a common newbie problem with lighting? Is it not enough to place a light in front of the character and expect to see a result? I'm coming from Blender where this is the normal expectation.

Try this for me-
    Make sure you are in Perspective View.
    To add a new light, go up to Create>New Spotlight (let's just use that one as an example) then select PERSPECTIVE VIEW.
    Does your view of the scene appear brighter? (Because the default light when adding one is white, 255/255/255 and 100% intensity.) Anything happen?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Adding a EXTRA light is Always done From Create Menu. If done any other way the Default is to REPLACE all lights with the New one. If you wish to ADD a Preset Light you Right click and Merge or it also will replace all other lights.

• openlearneropenlearner Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, issues resolved.

• openlearneropenlearner Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone, issues resolved!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Also, you can hold down ctrl (cmd on a Mac) when double-clicking the light preset and choose to Add the lights rather than replacing the lights, or to replace only certain lights.