Any Carrara Bryce users here?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
edited July 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Hi, just to let you know if you have Carrara in your tool box as well as Bryce then we have our second monthly challenge in the Carrara forum running at the moment.

The prizes are pretty neat.

As well as DAZ, DimensionTheory is this month's sponsor!

The link is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24644/

I hope you don't mind me posting this here. I watch the Bryce community with envy and would love the Carrara community to have that same "well met friend" feel about it.

If you decide to participate we'd love to have you in the challenge. You could think of your participation as a chance to lure Carrara users back to Bryce - rather than vica versa .

:) (smiley here)

EDIt. maybe we (ie Pam) could organise an inter software challenge ;)

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I would love to but I am not allowed. Hope it goes well. Good luck

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

head wax said:
    Hi, just to let you know if you have Carrara in your tool box as well as Bryce then we have our second monthly challenge in the Carrara forum running at the moment.

The prizes are pretty neat.

As well as DAZ, DimensionTheory is this month's sponsor!

The link is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24644/

I hope you don't mind me posting this here. I watch the Bryce community with envy and would love the Carrara community to have that same "well met friend" feel about it.

If you decide to participate we'd love to have you in the challenge. You could think of your participation as a chance to lure Carrara users back to Bryce - rather than vica versa .

:) (smiley here)

EDIt. maybe we (ie Pam) could organise an inter software challenge ;)

That really sounds like fun. Lets give it a while, till we get our respective software specific challenges really established and then we can talk again.

I would love to but I am not allowed. Hope it goes well. Good luck

Pete, the thing you are talking about doesn't apply to all contests and challenges, only the ones where the CVs are co-opted in as judges. And even then the Bryce community thinks it is unfair that judges can't enter, which is why we have started having a "blind" judging thread with no names attached to the images for the judges, and had a vote which resulted in a consensus saying that judges should be allowed to enter, but couldn't vote for themselves.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Best to stay out of them all if you ask me. But thanks chohole for that which wasn't lost on me weeks ago. ;)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@head wax - thank you for the invitation. I have had purchased Carrara from 3 up to 8.0 but it is too complicated for a simpleton like me. The only thing I really could make work - sort of - was IBL and the tree lab, which is wonderful.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited July 2013

thanks Szark, Chohole and Horo :)
    for getting back so quickly!

I thought Richard Carter could be interested as well?

Horo said:
    @head wax - thank you for the invitation. I have had purchased Carrara from 3 up to 8.0 but it is too complicated for a simpleton like me. The only thing I really could make work - sort of - was IBL and the tree lab, which is wonderful.

Heh, that's funny I have your excellent dvd's and need to work through them but I couldn't get my head around Bryce. smiley here

In Carrara there are just a few tricks - DAZ gives you 20 percent ambient by default - it needs to be set a zero .
    For aligning objects select one and then the other then hit ctrl k and a window pops up
    A lot of objects and figures come in with their hotpoints askew, - which makes it hard to work with so you need to centre the hotpoint.
    Poser objects and Daz meshes etc come in with really high highlight which needs to be set to less than 10 percent in most cases in the shader room.

That's all you need to know about Carrara, the rest is easy peasy (another smiley here)

cheers from here :)
    !

edited July 2013

head wax said:
    I thought Richard Carter could be interested as well?!
    Yup, Rashad might be a candidate but he's quite busy at the time.

Heh, that's funny I have your excellent dvd's and need to work through them but I couldn't get my head around Bryce. smiley here!

Thank you! I had a slow start at Bryce, too - until it occurred to me that it is some sort of an adventure game. Just click on everything and see where that gets you. It's fun.
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'm pretty much MIA lately and it really gets on my nerves. I've hardly managed to render anything in Bryce and even less in Carrara. But hopefully that will change soon. I'm due for some vacation time.

Carrara is a splendid application, there is so much that I love about it. I wish there was a Bridge connecting the two applications. A user could build and construct models in Carrara and effortlessly send them to Bryce over the bridge and vice-versa. That would give Bryce users access to that ridiculously good plant generator and would give Carrara users access to Bryce's atmospherics. It would be sweet indeed. I'd even pay for it as a separate plug-in if it were possible.

Here's hoping!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    head wax said:
    I thought Richard Carter could be interested as well?!
    Yup, Rashad might be a candidate but he's quite busy at the time.

Heh, that's funny I have your excellent dvd's and need to work through them but I couldn't get my head around Bryce. smiley here!

Thank you! I had a slow start at Bryce, too - until it occurred to me that it is some sort of an adventure game. Just click on everything and see where that gets you. It's fun.

Heh : ) That is my theory, the clicking on everything button. My other favourite is the up and down keys, sometimes they don't do anything but it's fun pressing them : )

edited December 1969

Yeah, I'm pretty much MIA lately and it really gets on my nerves. I've hardly managed to render anything in Bryce and even less in Carrara. But hopefully that will change soon. I'm due for some vacation time.

Carrara is a splendid application, there is so much that I love about it. I wish there was a Bridge connecting the two applications. A user could build and construct models in Carrara and effortlessly send them to Bryce over the bridge and vice-versa. That would give Bryce users access to that ridiculously good plant generator and would give Carrara users access to Bryce's atmospherics. It would be sweet indeed. I'd even pay for it as a separate plug-in if it were possible.

Here's hoping!

Yes it's a great idea. Would be grande if Daz made all their software talk seamlessly.
    Can't help thinking it isn't going to happen.
    Can't blame Daz for making as much money as possible on content sales.
    It's just bad for some of us who like to get to grips with an application rather than stock up our virtual wardrobes.
    Now let's see I reckon I have about ninety different swords - not that I am complaining but I can only use one sword at a time to kill the eight different types of dragons I have (the other hand, the one without the sword is on my hip, striking a "pose"....)

Good luck with your MIA. : )
    And thanks for replying too.

cheers from Oz : )

edited December 1969

Our voting thread for the Carrara Challenge Number 2 is open at the moment.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25907/

Feel free to come and cast a vote or make a comment.

cheers from here :)

edited September 2013

Hi, thank you to those Bryce users with brilliant charm taste and not to mention good looks and intelligence who were kind enough to vote in our last Carrara challenge :)

Well we have voting open for the next one Paradise Lost and Found.
    You are very welcome to cast a vote if you like.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28208/

PS we have kidnapped chohole and are holding her for ransom till she learns the Carrara interface :)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited September 2013

I have wondered where she has been.......How much is the ransom????? she does and is needed here!!!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

I have wondered where she has been.......How much is the ransom????? she does and is needed here!!!!

ah we are holding her for ransom until Bryce Users reveal the real secret of how they make their beautiful landscapes :)

edited December 1969

Hi just to let you know we are voting in the latest Carrara Challenge and we would love to have you participate in the voting - as we know all Bryce users have style and good taste :)

link is here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33072/P30/

thanks for your kindness :)

cheers

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    - as we know all Bryce users have style and good taste :)

I couldn't resist after reading the above ...
    edited December 1969

thanks for that Horo :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2013

I would vote, but as I am now the official Carrara moderator I don't want to be seen to favour anyone, so have restrained myself so far. It is difficult enough for a Brycer to be accepted as the Carrara mod, although I do keep trying to see what I can do with Carrara.

I know Moderation is a team decision, but we do all have our our special forums to keep an eye on.

BTW Andrew I did manage to render a Howie Faukes scene, The one that came with the Carrara content.

snow_scene.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 441K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I would vote, but as I am now the official Carrara moderator I don't want to be seen to favour anyone, so have restrained myself so far. It is difficult enough for a Brycer to be accepted as the Carrara mod, although I do keep trying to see what I can do with Carrara.

I know Moderation is a team decision, but we do all have our our special forums to keep an eye on.

BTW Andrew I did manage to render a Howie Faukes scene, The one that came with the Carrara content.

wonderful work chohole :) I think we can officially dub you an honourary Carraraite because you have rendered a Faukes scene :)! Welcome to the crew! Now you can vote anon by sending evil a PM,. He won't tell us who you voted for, honest.... ;) !