Editing and saving jpg textures?

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello, I would like to open a few jpg textures, add text, for example to shirts. I am using corel draw and corel photo paint. I can get the editing done but when I go to save the jpg back as a new material, I can't get it to show in daz 4 pro. Any thoughts on what I am missing? or tutors you can point me too?

Thanks
Kimberly

Comments

• edited June 2012

Let's say you're working on a t-shirt:
    1. Edit the jpg and save it as a new file.
    2. Go to the Surfaces tab
    3. Select the shirt
    4. Click on the down-arrow to the left of "Diffuse Color"
    5. Select 'Browse...'
    6. Go to the new file and click 'Open'

Post edited by thinmick_3ecd3939f1 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Step two: After you have your texture on your item open the content folder with the original texture files. Now save a Material Preset to that folder.

From then on you can load your texture from the same folder with just a click.

That is File>Save As Material Preset and save to the location of your other textures for that item.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Thank you both very much. This is a huge help.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321
    edited December 1969

Always a good idea to save a copy of the original jpeg before any editing just in case.

edited December 1969

Always a good idea to save a copy of the original jpeg before any editing just in case.

I have been using corel draw since version 3 and learned that the hard way. LOL

edited December 1969

Oh my YES! Always use a copy of the original texture and be sure you use a different file name when you save the edited texture. That should have been pointed out at the very start. Sorry about that.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Part of the problem is that, for many years, us Poser and DAZ|Studio users have just said "the textures" to mean both the actual image files in the /Runtime/Textures/ folders — the ones you've just been editing — and the pose MATs/materials/D|S scripts in our runtime or content libraries which call up those image files. Not knowing the difference, or not realising which is meant, can and has led to great confusion at times, and not just among newcomers. It's just one of those weirdnesses of terminology, most people catch on fairly quickly... and then find lots more sophisticated ways to get all confused about this crazy 3D business... ;-)

edited July 2012

Jaderail said:
    Step two: After you have your texture on your item open the content folder with the original texture files. Now save a Material Preset to that folder.

From then on you can load your texture from the same folder with just a click.

That is File>Save As Material Preset and save to the location of your other textures for that item.

Hi, I followed your instructions and saved as a Material Preset in the texture file where I got the original texture and I can open that texture I made and use it just fine. But I can't get the example clickable image in the content library. Is there something I have to do beyond save as material preset to get the example image?

Plus in the folder when I go back into get the file for more editing it shows a lock in the texture image. No idea what that means.

Thank you
    Kimberly

Post edited by KimberSue on
    edited July 2012

When You save as Materal it will put the LOCK because it is now USED by DS in your saved preset. Just Load the jpg and edit, save with the same name and test your Preset and see if it updated. If it did not save a new Materal Preset with the same name and it should replace the older one.

For a thumbnail Render a 91x91 image, save as png, name it the same as your Preset. Example. Shirt1.dsb will get Shirt1.dsb.png. Place the image in the same folder as your preset file.
    Have fun with your work, I hope this helps.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    When You save as Materal it will put the LOCK because it is now USED by DS in your saved preset. Just Load the jpg and edit, save with the same name and test your Preset and see if it updated. If it did not save a new one with the same name and it should replace the older one.

For a thumbnail Render a 91x91 image, save as png, name it the same as your Preset. Example. Shirt1.dsb will get Shirt1.dsb.png.
    Have fun with your work, I hope this helps.

Thanks this is huge help. I need some K4 Halloween and fall clothing and enjoying making my own.

edited December 1969

I added a little bit to my last post, you might know the info I added but please check it just in case you need the tips.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I added a little bit to my last post, you might know the info I added but please check it just in case you need the tips.

I made my own folder in the texture folder and that seem to work perfect.