Do these new items don't come with metadata?

grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
edited June 2012 in The Commons

I just bought and downloaded the following:

--Beautiful Black HairStyles,

--Night Watcher,

--Boudoir Bliss for Genesis Female,

--Moyras Lingerie Boutique Honeymoon

--Steam Aircraft Dragon,

But not one of them had come with a Metadata. (At least the Metadata failed to show up in my download items)

Should there be Metadata with these?

Post edited by grpruett on

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    My understanding is that metadata is being baked into the newer installers and the standalone ZIP files. In fact, I think it was like that before, but they produced a separate file for folks who had not downloaded it when it contained metadata. Or something.

So...if you're not seeing them in Smart Content, then you should ping back about that. Otherwise, yeah it's intended to be like that. :)

-- Morgan

• grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

I am seeing it in the smart content. I guess I should have looked before I posted this message.

thanks

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

It always has been in the main file. The extra metadata files they have with most items now are simply that - extra. My understanding is that it's separate so that if something in the metadata's updated, you just need the new metadata file. I don't quite understand the logic behind it, but that's nothing new :)

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

...My understanding is that it's separate so that if something in the metadata's updated, you just need the new metadata file. I don't quite understand the logic behind it, but that's nothing new :)

Some products have fairly large installers, over 100 MB in size. If the only thing being updated is the metadata, it's faster to download the seperate metadata installer than to re-download the main installer.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited June 2012

...My understanding is that it's separate so that if something in the metadata's updated, you just need the new metadata file. I don't quite understand the logic behind it, but that's nothing new :)

Some products have fairly large installers, over 100 MB in size. If the only thing being updated is the metadata, it's faster to download the seperate metadata installer than to re-download the main installer.

That part makes sense :). The thing that doesn't is that they have both the product (containing the metadata) AND the separate metadata, even though it's the original release and both are the same. And I suspect if they do update the metadata and you reset your product, you'll get both again. I find that repetitive and confusing. If they want to have the metadata separate,for ease of reload, why not just have it separate, and NOT in with the product as well?

So now, I don't even look at the separate metadata, which could be a problem if they HAD updated it before I bought it, and I have the wrong metadata in the main download..

And none of this is documented anywhere officially, so most people have no clue about it..

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on