Is Genesis 1 obsolete now that Genesis 2 is here?

scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Still using Victoria 4.2. Like to make the jump to Genesis.
Should I go for Genesis 2 and Victoria 6 or for Victoria 5?.
Is there a big difference between Genesis 1 and 2?.
Has anyone used both and could guide me on this issue please.
Thanks

Post edited by scottidog2 on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

A simple answer is no. Genesis and Genesis 2F are both available and both are free with DS 4.6. A spokesperson for DAZ 3D has stated in another thread in the Commons that there is no plan to lose either figure. Genesis 2F is simply an additional figure, not a replacement figure.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

Genesis 1 is still at the beginning (or between beginning and middle) of it's lifecycle a bit, is that correct to say that?

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I use both for different things.

If I need a more lifelike female model where the accuracy of the bending is going to be important I'll use Genesis 2 Female. I haven't bought V6 since I didn't think the skin texture or the morphs added enough to justify the cost for me. I did just buy the new Gia though because I'll get more use out of the added muscle morphs.

If I need a male character I obviously have to use Genesis or M4 right now so I tend to go with Genesis. I'll also use Genesis if I need a much more custom female character since I have a ton of morphs for that figure that allow me to tweak the look.

Since both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 Female are free if you're using DS 4.6 I suggest you grab them and play around. Genesis is far from obsolete though, people are still making new content for it and there is a ton of pre-existing content and with autofit you can use much of your V4 content on it as well.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

In addition to Sisca's good response, Genesis also has a load of creature-type morphs available. So yes, far from obsolete! Just like V4 (and even earlier) still have their uses.

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Thank You Sisca for your input. I always go for maximum realism as I am using the renders in my professional work.
    Looks like Genesis 2 and V6 is the way to go for my needs.
    From what Phil said earlier, Daz Studio 4.6 utilizes the full potential of Genesis.
    I'm waiting for the Production Build of Carrara 8.5 to be released soon (August?) so that it too can work well with Genesis.

edited December 1969

Thank You Sisca for your input. I always go for maximum realism as I am using the renders in my professional work.
    Looks like Genesis 2 and V6 is the way to go for my needs.
    From what Phil said earlier, Daz Studio 4.6 utilizes the full potential of Genesis.
    I'm waiting for the Production Build of Carrara 8.5 to be released soon (August?) so that it too can work well with Genesis.

You can get realism with Genesis 1. In fact with all of the morph packs I have available I can get a much more realistic character for certain character types. The big advantage that the G2F has is a much more realistic female shape and much smoother bending. Since G2F came out I've found myself playing with both that and Genesis 1 when creating a new character and using whichever lets me get the closest to what I picture the character looking like.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Please don't forget all of the amazing monsters that Genesis can be and/or become! With Genesis, your figure can start out a guy, morph into a werewolf, then a lumbering giant monstrosity, back down to a goblinoid, and finally a little girl, for example. I've figured out how to perform all of the texture swapping within Carrara, too - so the whole process can occur in real time. Maybe that many times will not be so fun... but you know what I mean.

I would like to guess, since you may still purchase Victoria, the original Millennium Woman, that none of DAZ3D released figures ever become extinct. And if you try some of those older figures - and really put some effort into bringing them up to date in appearance - you'll see why. DAZ figures have always been top-notch! That Zygote Dragon is still selling, I'd bet, too. It has a few texture packs and possibly some poses as well. I never worry with DAZ. If I want to buy it - I buy it knowing that it's good stuff. If I change my mind they give me satisfaction. There's definitely a reason behind my passion for this place!

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Here's a quote written by DarioFish, the modeler of the Alien Races I am a fan of:

First of all, Genesis 2 female and V6 are arrived, and they look great for creating new stunning female characetrs. I truly hope to see Genesis 2 male and M6 soon!
    I tried it and really liked it, and the AutoFit tool works well on it.
    Genesis 2 figures seem to be amazing for posing (the joints bend incredibly well) and creating detailed "gender specific" characters, but the first genesis remains the best choice for creating generic and extreme characters, like aliens, monsters and other types of creatures.
    Obviously I will support Genesis 2 figures with new morphs and characters, but I will continue to support Genesis too, because it's definitely most versatile.

One of his current projects is one of the best looking Cyborg's I have ever seen.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Well I just find the whole genesis thing darn confusing which has a lot to do with why I have nothing but the free base models.

Daz doesn't make it easy - didn't even realise there was Genesis 2 until sometime after it was released. I get so many Daz shopping emails(every day ?) I could easily have missed it.

But lets suppose I did make a transition -what shoulld I buy next.

In V4 terms that would probably have been "morphs ++ " to give the figure more flexibility.

I really have no idea so any comments/advice will be absorbed, digested and referred to my wallet !!!

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited July 2013

0oseven said:
    Well I just find the whole genesis thing darn confusing which has a lot to do with why I have nothing but the free base models.

Daz doesn't make it easy - didn't even realise there was Genesis 2 until sometime after it was released. I get so many Daz shopping emails(every day ?) I could easily have missed it.

In V4 terms that would probably have been "morphs ++ " to give the figure more flexibility.

I really have no idea so any comments/advice will be absorbed, digested and referred to my wallet !!!

For G2F (genesis 2 female) there is the morphs bundle, wich would be the equivalent of the morphs++ :
    http://www.daz3d.com/people/genesis-2-female-morphs-bundle
    And then there is V6, the actual female character for G2F:
    http://www.daz3d.com/people/victoria-6

For Genesis:
    There are V5 and M5, the male and female characters for genesis. (They both use the same genesis as base)
    And the "morph++" would be:
    http://www.daz3d.com/people/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle
    There is also a muscularity bundle:
    http://www.daz3d.com/people/genesis-evolution-muscularity

EDIT:There are many more shpaes available for Genesis, like Hiro, Hitomi, Aiko , Teens,... and even V4 and 3 as well as the M4 and 3

Post edited by Elele on
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:

As mentioned above I'd go with the G2F morph bundle to start with (http://www.daz3d.com/morphs/genesis-2-female-morphs-bundle). If you have a lot of V4 stuff I'd also throw in V4 for G2F (http://www.daz3d.com/morphs/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female) so you can use your V4 UV maps and add V4 to autofit for clothing.

As for characters it really depends on what type of renders you're making. If you need caucasian supermodel types then V6 adds a nice skin texture as well as some extra morphs. If you're looking for the more muscular female then the new Gia is a very nice set of textures/morphs.

Personally, I tend to look at things like Zev0's morph packs (http://www.daz3d.com/zev0) before I go for actual characters since they offer me more versatility. When a new character comes out the first thing I look at is the skin texture. If that looks like something I might want I then look to see if it adds any new morphs that I might use. With the morph bundles, Zev0's extra morphs and the ability to use any of the V4/Genesis textures I've found that I can get the look I want from the base G2F. I did bite on Gia this week because I could use a coupon on it along with the new release pricing to save quite a bit and it added some nice muscle morphs along with a really nice skin texture as well as a couple of extra hair styles for G2F. I still don't own V6 and so far I haven't had a reason to buy her, maybe if someone comes out with a skin texture that I really like that requires the V6 map I'll have to bite.

edited July 2013

I can understand the frustrations of 0oseven. I'm just going for Genesis 2 and V6 so I will have V4.2 stuff on one side and V6 stuff on the other. I want to keep things from getting too confusing.

Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited December 1969

I can understand the frustrations of Elele. I'm just going for Genesis 2 and V6 so I will have V4.2 stuff on one side and V6 stuff on the other. I want to keep things from getting too confusing.

Huh? I have no frustrations :D
    I'm just listing the things you may find interesting. It all depends on what you want.
    I like V6, much improved over V5 in my opinion.

edited December 1969

Sorry Elele, I meant 0oseven.

edited December 1969

Elele said:
    I like V6, much improved over V5 in my opinion.
    I totally agree. From the shape to... the shape! V6 is one shapely figure! Yikes!
    I enjoy having the extra shaping power of the facial morphs that Thorne makes. I do need more expressions though.
  • en0ken0k Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

hi, i'm a newb. i'm a bit intimidated by all of the different versions.

purchased aiko3 because of the content for it.

thought about getting victoria 4.2 base (deviant bundle), but should i get victoria 5 or 6 instead?

thanks.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

i was working with V4.2 before too as i knew how to handle it on DS so i thought i would keep it and i still use V4.2 but when i switched to Genesis i thought why i didnt switched earlier as they are much easier to handle, the same is about V5.
    I also use V6 and Genesis 2 and they all are the same system but worth to get them all as there are some little differences.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

en0k said:
    hi, i'm a newb. i'm a bit intimidated by all of the different versions.

purchased aiko3 because of the content for it.

thought about getting victoria 4.2 base (deviant bundle), but should i get victoria 5 or 6 instead?

thanks.

V5 or 6 is better at the end as most of the cloth content for example can be fitted to them whats also a good point to Genesis models.
    If you have V4.2 u can only use V4.2 content for it.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

Personally I prefer Genesis, because of its better value than Genesis 2/V6. If you buy legacy shapes, and GenX to transfer morphs, you can use most generation 4 textures on Genesis, and there's SO much variety mixing and matching all the genesis shapes.

Genesis 2 is a more detailed barbie, but she lacks the versatility of Genesis, can't use most of the textures, can't use the same morphs, and clothes have to be autofitted and there's no autofit "fix" for it yet like SickleYield made for Genesis.

When you buy something for genesis, you have tons of value- the clothes will fit ALL the genesis shapes, and will mix and match, and textures can mix and match (for exampel, body texture from V4, eyes from V5, eye reflection from hitomi). Morphs are mixed and matched- use some freak or heroic morphs to make a 'Gai' for V5. Make a more androgenous male shape. Make a child, or a baby. Make a hulk, make an animal, make a minotaur, make a fish person, make a bird.... All in genesis. If I buy a Horse head shape for Genesis, i automatically have a horse head shape for Male, female, and child Genesis. It's fitting the whole gene pool. However if you get the same shape for genesis 2, your'e stuck in one gender, and age range. Every potential for Genesis 2 is halved or more.

Don't get me wrong, Genesis 2 is a lovely female figure. But I'd rather have potential and endless possibility over a slightly more detailed female shape. SO I keep passing over the Genesis 2 stuff in the store and I'm sticking to Genesis. Genesis is still NEW after all. There's not half enough for genesis that is out. if i want a female only shape there's V4 or .... dare I say it? Dawn. ;)

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited August 2013

chohole said:
    A simple answer is no. Genesis and Genesis 2F are both available and both are free with DS 4.6. A spokesperson for DAZ 3D has stated in another thread in the Commons that there is no plan to lose either figure. Genesis 2F is simply an additional figure, not a replacement figure.

Where are they hiding? Do they have aliases? I'm a DAZ noob so ... should I re-download and re-install DZ 4.6? And if so - is the SN included in the DL for activation? I'd rather NOT have to go through that process again.

Post edited by Elowan on
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:
    chohole said:

Where are they hiding? Do they have aliases? I'm a DAZ noob so ... should I re-download and re-install DZ 4.6? And if so - is the SN included in the DL for activation? I'd rather NOT have to go through that process again.

Starter essentials and starter essentials 2 are found here if you check your product libary, and should also be avialable to download through DIM

gen_starter_2_copy.jpg
    703 x 450 - 244K
  • ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

TYVM for the links. Will install the essentials et al and hopefully won't have to re-install DAZ 4.6.

[Just had to unplug the kitchen drain pipes. A fitting end (hopefully) to a less than stellar day.]

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Personally I prefer Genesis, because of its better value than Genesis 2/V6. If you buy legacy shapes, and GenX to transfer morphs, you can use most generation 4 textures on Genesis, and there's SO much variety mixing and matching all the genesis shapes.

Genesis 2 is a more detailed barbie, but she lacks the versatility of Genesis, can't use most of the textures, can't use the same morphs, and clothes have to be autofitted and there's no autofit "fix" for it yet like SickleYield made for Genesis.

When you buy something for genesis, you have tons of value- the clothes will fit ALL the genesis shapes, and will mix and match, and textures can mix and match (for exampel, body texture from V4, eyes from V5, eye reflection from hitomi). Morphs are mixed and matched- use some freak or heroic morphs to make a 'Gai' for V5. Make a more androgenous male shape. Make a child, or a baby. Make a hulk, make an animal, make a minotaur, make a fish person, make a bird.... All in genesis. If I buy a Horse head shape for Genesis, i automatically have a horse head shape for Male, female, and child Genesis. It's fitting the whole gene pool. However if you get the same shape for genesis 2, your'e stuck in one gender, and age range. Every potential for Genesis 2 is halved or more.

Don't get me wrong, Genesis 2 is a lovely female figure. But I'd rather have potential and endless possibility over a slightly more detailed female shape. SO I keep passing over the Genesis 2 stuff in the store and I'm sticking to Genesis. Genesis is still NEW after all. There's not half enough for genesis that is out. if i want a female only shape there's V4 or .... dare I say it? Dawn. ;)

Well said...I also prefer Genesis 1 as it is more versatile and gives value for money.
    edited December 1969

Dunno if I can agree with that. It all depends on what you want. If you are looking to create human females, V6 will be better value IMO.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Elele said:
    Dunno if I can agree with that. It all depends on what you want. If you are looking to create human females, V6 will be better value IMO.
    If you're only going to do renders of females and nothing else...yeah sure. As I tend to prefer a bit of variety in my renders, male, female and child and don't want to have to buy separate morphs, clothing and textures it works out as more value to go with Gen1. Each to their own...
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I see no reason both do not have value, Genesis 1 for it's full morphing ability. Need a monster do it, need crowd filler dial them. Need a Female as a close up Running from a Monster? G2F and it's morphing for a good looking female. I'm looking forward to G2M also for that very same reason.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    any chance of a linkie pwease cho?
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    chohole said:
    any chance of a linkie pwease cho?

Ugh, now he asks, Was more than 3 weeks ago, I can't remember where things are that was posted only a day or 2 ago. :roll:

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well 3 weeks ago, yes I saw that one and it fell short of the info I was after and I thought a more indepth answer was recently posted...so no biggie.

edited August 2013

With all of the amazing new products coming available for Genesis 1, I can see that this wonderful figure has made its place in the stream of how things shall be! Yaaaay! Well, I actually had that good feeling all along. DAZ3D had just made a major shapes release of several 'Monstrosities" just before the release of Genesis 2 Female. I love those big bad monsters! I am also equally as pumped about Genesis 2! I'm the sort of content user (needer) that prefers a good selection. Genesis is a huge selection, but Genesis 2 is so heroic. Gia is one bad chick! Girl 6 is gorgeous - well, so is Girl 5, 4 and the original "The Girl". I own and love them all. Well, I will be owning G6 as soon as they launch her... she's the hottest 'The Girl' yet! Did you see those PC sneak peeks? Yikes! Ouch!

Ringo keeping up with the shaders ensures that we can have professional grade shaders for these wonderful figure shapes, and he's agreed to make any of them that we need - so if you have a favorite that you're waiting for, I'd suggest giving him a nudge in any of the open threads he has in here, rather than a PM, so that others with the same need can cast their vote along with you.

I know that I've been all over the place talking like this, but I feel that it's an important discovery that I'd like the whole world to know:
    DAZ 3D has easy, step by step instructions for helping anyone whom may want to make something, anything, for Genesis using the great tools they've given us by allowing all of us to download a free copy of Daz Studio Pro, which includes hundreds of dollars worth of incredible Content Creation Tools (CCT). The stuff I've been reading pertains to making conforming clothing, etc., and the guide claims to be a W.I.P., but is excellent at explaining what needs to be done to actually complete the process from start to finish. It even offers a texture that you can apply to your models to assist in appropriate UV Map production - which DAZ 3D takes very seriously.

After seeing, over the years, how helpful DAZ is at helping us all to better ourselves in any avenue of Digital Art, is it any wonder that I get a bit overly upset when I see conspiracy theories revolving against them? They give more than I give back to them, that's for sure. Which is part of my reason for coming into this forum as often as I can, and helping out in any way that I can. I do it for DAZ, which, since you're likely logged in as you're reading this, means you, too! Digital Art Zone in 3 Dimensions (DAZ 3D) is a place of sharing. The small amounts of money that it costs to buy anything that's for sale at this place is tiny compared to what it takes to produce such things - and that is not entirely true at all of the places where we spend our hard earned money.

Okay... off on a tangent again, eh, Dartan?

Alright. Well I can truly and honestly predict that Genesis 1 is here to stay. And with DAZ's help, we can all do anything we are willing to do to make it work exactly as we need it to. The amazing talents of the DAZ 3D Software Development Team have taken Daz Studio to heights we'd never have imagined back when they were readying to release version 1.0 back in the day. Carrara has expanded into being the perfect suite of features needed to create stunning animations, renders, web graphics, simulations... a complete authoring suite, as they call it, which it is! Please try not to read into personal negativity too deeply, nor should we ever dismiss it as irrelevant. Such is why I like to do my best to quell any sort of conundrum that might occur - no matter what someone might be trying to do with the incredibly amazing Carrara. But if there might be something that you just cannot do in Carrara, it might not be that it is undo-able in Carrara, and it certainly does not mean that DAZ 3D is trying to keep you from doing it... but if we work together in a manner that inspires art, not fueling harmful emotion, it is likely that, one way or another, we WILL find a solution! ;)

Thank you very much,
    this has been a gleeful writing session caused mostly in part by the tingling feeling that I get after holding my baby Granddaughter. Carrara makes me very happy when I use it - which is very often, and partially why I've always been so painfully joyous in the past. Well I'm about to open Carrara for the first time today, and I'm already feeling this good...
    Maybe I should stay away from the forum for a little while! ;)
    Dartanbeck:
    your overly satisfied customer guy and published artist

Post edited by Dartanbeck on