How to decrease frame rates?

Hello.

I have started using a few animation products in Daz3D Studio 4. Most of the animation products are available at 30FPS (probably the industry standard). However my laptop (on which I work) is not very powerful, and rendering a video at 30FPS takes a lot of time. So I would like to set them at 15-20FPS.

My question is: how can I decrease the frame rate of the animation poses?
I believe that directly changing the FPS value (default 30) in the 'Timeline' tab would lengthen the animation pose (which I don't want), won't it?

I am a bit new to Daz, so please help me.

Regards.

Post edited by gdebojyoti.mail_9a41a001e9 on

Comments

• edited December 1969

Bottom right corner of the timeline.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

medhue said:

correct - will not lengthen the animation

• edited December 1969

bigh said:
    medhue said:

correct - will not lengthen the animation

lol, sorry, yeah, it won't change the total time, but the keyframe will move to area not on actual frames. If you change the FPS, then the only way to get to the keyframe, if you want to edit it, is to use the next keyframe buttons.

• edited June 2012

Thanks a lot. It worked.. :)

By the way, what is the minimum number of frames that one should use per second?

I mean what is the use of higher frame rates if the human eye cannot distinguish more than 12 image frames per second? Isn't 15FPS enough?

• edited June 2012

By the way, what is the minimum number of frames that one should use per second?

I mean what is the use of higher frame rates if the human eye cannot distinguish more than 12 image frames per second? Isn't 15FPS enough?

In my opinion, it depends on the animation. If the animation has alot of fast movement, then you will lose alot by lowering the framerate. If the motion has very little movement, like an idle stand, then you can get away with as little as you want. It's all about how fast the movement is. Oh, and as far as I know, the average person's visible FPS range is closer to 24, but like I said, if there is nothing but slow movements, then you can get away with far less. 24-30 FPS should really be only for things like dancing, fighting, running and maybe walking.

Again, just my opinion.

Post edited by omedhue_196e22b81c on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

medhue said:

In my opinion, it depends on the animation. If the animation has alot of fast movement, then you will lose alot by lowering the framerate. If the motion has very little movement, like an idle stand, then you can get away with as little as you want. It's all about how fast the movement is. Oh, and as far as I know, the average person's visible FPS range is closer to 24, but like I said, if there is nothing but slow movements, then you can get away with far less. 24-30 FPS should really be only for things like dancing, fighting, running and maybe walking.

Again, just my opinion.

agree - nice teach

• edited June 2012

Thanks bigh!

1 thing to consider when you are creating a scene is the animation, especially if you are trying to cut rendering time. If you have a scene with really slow movement and really fast movement, you might consider breaking the scene up into 2 scenes or 2 renders, 1 for the slow part and 1 for the fast part.

For me, this can get tricky when you want 1 camera for the whole thing, but I've found that you can easily put the renders together seamlessly in most video editors.

Post edited by omedhue_196e22b81c on
  • edited June 2012

Okay... :-)