An odd request...

Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay, so by now it's probably no secret I'm working on a post-apocalyptic comic as part of a personal project. One of the necessities of having an endworld comic is tinned goods. Anyone who has played Fallout knows that if anything is going to survive past the end of humanity it's going to be all of the tinned goodies loaded with enough preservatives to last until the next millenium.

So, lacking a can of my own I created one, nicely detailed with a separate material for the label so it can be hidden. And I have the intent of adding it to my growing list of freebies on ShareCG. With that said, one of the things I'm having difficulty finding are detailed label textures. I can take photos of my own cans and use those just fine, but there's a bit of a catch in that they're all British and my comic is based in America.

With that said, does anyone have any images of tin labels or knows a good source? Doing a websearch for tin labels netted me about two hundred results full of Campbell's soup, following on from the popular art piece. And while I'm sure it's a fine soup, it wouldn't make much sense if it were the only food source to survive the apocalypse...

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

Your probably going to have to create your own brand label. Most PA's do that. That way to don't run into any possibilities of copyright violations.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Your probably going to have to create your own brand label. Most PA's do that. That way to don't run into any possibilities of copyright violations.

In most cases though they're at least based off existing designs with brand names subtly changed.
  • SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I'd try a Google or Bing image search for specific product labels. You might also go to corporate websites for companies like Kraft of General Foods to get images of their logos.

If you have a specific type of product that you're looking for I'd be glad to give you some US product names to look for and if I have them in my pantry I could get you some pictures of their labels. No promises on that though as we don't have a lot of canned goods.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    I'd try a Google or Bing image search for specific product labels. You might also go to corporate websites for companies like Kraft of General Foods to get images of their logos.

If you have a specific type of product that you're looking for I'd be glad to give you some US product names to look for and if I have them in my pantry I could get you some pictures of their labels. No promises on that though as we don't have a lot of canned goods.

Would propose that as well, e.g. a google image search for

US "can label"

already gets you at least some examples, probably 75% tuna and soup ;) ... but well. Not that high resolution images, but they can probably at least aid with regards to design.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited July 2013

HeraldOfFire, while it would be more effort to do, I'd also suggest to make your own. Not only it will prevent trademark violations, but what Fallout would be without a bottle of glowing Nuka-Cola? ;)
    I mean, your own labels will add some authenticity to your world. Also labels aren't that hard to create especially if you do a 'subtle change' variation. You can use some free stock photos or clipart too.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Is this for a model texture or render?... if it's just for a render check out label on my Zombie Chow can:
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/56135/gallery/11/Poser/Zombie-Chow-Canned-Zombie-food
    If you are creating a texture... it's really not that hard... either pull a label from a can and scan or photograph it... or just create a couple of generic logos, ingredient lists, bar code and nutrition facts... make them on a separate layer in photoshop and create a background base label as the base template, you can mix and match images of food taken from various sources to create assorted types and styles of canned chow.
    When I made my Zombie Chow can I realized nobody would every really read the can's label, but I still went and made it readable because it was more about the laughs, and the promo ad than the model, but in general like in most video game models I think its the 3-4 foot rule... is it going to really be necessary to be viewed closer than that?

X2700_ZombieChow_VT.jpg
    1200 x 539 - 268K
    ZombieChow2w.jpg
    1200 x 827 - 281K
    ZombieChow1w.jpg
    1200 x 920 - 234K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

It's actually really quite fun to make up promo imagery, logos and labels. It's entirely your own and you can specifically make what you need. Not to mention its as high resolution as you want it to be. I've seen a few post apocalyptic and lost story films, most tend to remove labels all together or the labels are so worn out that you can't even work out what is in the can without opening it. Again, they avoid brands because of copyright / trade marks.

Personally, I would make up my own original brands/logos/labels (do my research too) and create 3 types of cans : labeled and good condition, rusted and worn out label and finally well rusted and no label.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Let's just say that attempts to create my own were less than up to standard. I'm far better at manipulating existing images than I am at creating my own from scratch, which is just one of the many reasons I don't do this sort of thing professionally. Another reason is that I was rather hoping to quickly get a decent number of 'supplies' without needing to spend a great deal of time on manually creating textures for everything. The can itself was less than an hours work.

Still, if it comes to it I will do what I must and consider it a future investment should I need them later on. I do want them at least somewhat detailed since hunting for food will be a key survival aspect.

Is this for a model texture or render?... if it's just for a render check out label on my Zombie Chow can

I have to admit, that's pretty funny, though that particular brand probably wouldn't sell well in this universe due to a lack of zombies, no matter how many mad scientists recommend them.
  • simulacraftsimulacraft Posts: 9
    edited July 2013

That's a nice looking can you modeled. I would go with generic labels, since I'm sure all well-intentioned survivalists will have purchased less costly products to save for the important things. Like Spam - you will most likely need spam to survive.

spamimages.jpg
    240 x 180 - 13K
    sweetpeasjpg.jpg
    287 x 175 - 5K
    Post edited by simulacraft on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...and Trekkie Girrrrl has a Spam can Freebie.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

There is a sharecg beer can prop that has a pretty good beer label

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Link?

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:

Link?

http://www.sharecg.com/v/18196/

The texture is in the comments

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:

Link?

http://www.sharecg.com/v/18196/

The texture is in the comments

TYVM! Very useful. Appreciate it muchly (and the beer ain't bad either.)

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited July 2013

I love lordvicore's Zombie Chow, I eat it often, and like the prop too. Anyway here is a label I made with it. I will share if lordvicore does not mind as I used his nutrition label.

beans_from_zombie_chow.png
    1192 x 826 - 606K
    Post edited by Skelch on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Sure... that is fine... The beans have a whole brain and 1mg of plutonium in them? Mmmmmmmm.
    I suppose that is better than that pork-like substance in most pork and beans.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...I take it that is the minimum RDA of Plutonium allowed by the FDA.

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

The plutonium does not come in the home style. The Martha's Bakers choice backed beans has the plutonium. here is the file http://webpages.charter.net/catscan/zombiecan.zip