Safe to remove PS version of files?

jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I do not have poser nor do I really plan on getting it anytime soon. So in the interest of saving disk space on my portable drive, would it be bad if I "uninstalled" the PS version of content via the DIM? Mind you I would not be uninstalling all of them just the ones that have more than one installer (a DS and a PS version). Or do the DAZ files rely on the poser files in those cases?

I ask because in the DIM I have the "DAZ Studio 4.5+" and "Poser9+" filters turned on. Also, Do I need to have the poser filter turned on if I only use Daz?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Answer to the 2nd question is no. IF you only use DS then set DIM to filter by the DS version you use and it will only install the files you need.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that. As far as the first question is concerned; basically what I am planning on doing is using the "Installed" tab in the DIM and looking for installers that have separate installers clearly marked for instance; "Modern Bed 1 DS" and "Modern Bed 2 Ps". What I was going to do was uninstall "Modern Bed 1 Ps" Do you think it would cause a problem while using the DS versions?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That one I can't help you with, as I don't actually use DS, but I will see if I can find someone who can help you.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,504
    edited December 1969

The easiest things to find and uninstall are those named Poser CF (which are Genesis based stuff for DSON Poser), those you don't need.

For example Modern Bed 1, the DS installer has .dsf files which seems to contain the actual Geometry and textures while older non .dsf items has the Geometry and the textures in the PS installer and the DS installer is just DS material settings.

It's not always clear, but if the size of the installer files are almost the same you can probably safely remove the PS install.

I hope thins helps.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

1 - Have the Installed tab showing
    2 - Use the pulldown in the Filter box to filter by Tags > Content > DS4.5+. That gives you everything you want to keep.
    3 - Tick the Products box to select them all.
    4 - Click the X to clear the Filter box.
    5 - Right-click on one of the products and choose "Invert Selection". Now everything that's NOT for DS4.5+ is selected.
    6 - You can change the Sort Order to "Selected First" to review the items. For example, if you installed software with DIM it will be among the selected items. If there's nothing besides DS4.5+ content you want to keep, you can skip this step.
    7 - Click the "Start Queue" button to uninstall all the selected items.

If you're handy with regular expressions, you can write a custom filter to do steps 2-5 in one step, but this way will work with just the default filters.

uninstall_non-DS.jpg
    561 x 571 - 130K
  • jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

Wow Mike, that was ingenious! Ran into a little snafu though... when I use the pull down menu in the filter box I only have "Save Filter" or "Manage Filters". When I open manage filters it takes me to an empty explorer window. :-S

I did manage a work-around though... select all > right-click on any installer > go to deselect installed > DS 4.5+

Thanks for your help and the trick to view by selected helped too as I am now realizing their are some products that have additional materials in mc6 format that I want to keep like the dinner food(s).

I have done regex in PHP before but I am not that good with them.

edited December 1969

XiMiX said:
    Wow Mike, that was ingenious! Ran into a little snafu though... when I use the pull down menu in the filter box I only have "Save Filter" or "Manage Filters". When I open manage filters it takes me to an empty explorer window. :-S

I did manage a work-around though... select all > right-click on any installer > go to deselect installed > DS 4.5+

Thanks for your help and the trick to view by selected helped too as I am now realizing their are some products that have additional materials in mc6 format that I want to keep like the dinner food(s).

I have done regex in PHP before but I am not that good with them.

There should be an item "Install Manager Default Filters" -- that gives you presets to filter by date, tags, etc.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

XiMiX, if you only use DS, why do you want to keep mc6 files? I didn't think DS could use those. Please explain how you use them.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    XiMiX, if you only use DS, why do you want to keep mc6 files? I didn't think DS could use those. Please explain how you use them.

DS4 sees .mc6 files, the same way as .pz2, no shader nodes.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation. If a product comes with only Poser MATs, is there a reason to use mc6 instead of pz2 in DAZ Studio?