A (very) newbie question about .obj files

sinfanysinfany Posts: 190
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi, at the risk of posing what could be a ridiculous question.... is there a way to make an object (ie. red flower from the Object Library) and save it as an Obj. file to use in DS (without the background)? I'm looking for a way to add some props to my DS scenes without a lot of post-work in Photoshop.

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

I'm not quite sure what you mean - you can certainly export OBJ from DS.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Yes, there are several ways of doing that.

First, you choose the object you want from the preset library and add it to a blank Bryce scene.
    Then select the object and from the 'File' menu choose 'Export Object'
    In the window that opens, choose to save as .obj file from the drop down options and give it a name.

Then import into Daz Studio in the norrnal way as any other obj file.

The other way is to use the Daz Bridge but someone else will have to explain that as I don't use Daz Studio and therefore have no use of the Bridge for exchanging content between the two applications.

Hope this helps.

• sinfanysinfany Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the confusion. I meant saving an object (flower) in Bryce to use in DS. I'd have to save the Obj on the MacBook and open it on the iMac where I have DS. It will be great when I have everything in one place!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Since this is in the Bryce section I am guessing you mean save as an OBJ from Bryce to use in Daz Studio? Yes this can be done but it does depend on how the Bryce object is made.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

It could also brought over to Studio via the Bridge. Either way, the materials in Bryce are not fully compatible with the shaders in Studio. It needs some tweaking.

edited December 1969

I'm just trying it with the red flower and even though the process completed correctly, there was nothing to import (I use Poser so I tried to import it into Poser).

It seems that the way the flower is made is not immediately ready for export.
    You will have to ungroup the object and select each individual mesh and make it 'Positive' in the [A]ttibutes menu.
    After you've done that, select all the mesh parts and re-group them then [C]onvert the resulting boolean to a mesh.
    Then it should export correctly. I've just done this and successfully imported it into Poser.

Bear in mind that the export process also generates an .mtl file and picture files of any material on the object, so best to save it into it's own folder that you create specially for it. And as Horo says, the materials will most likely not map into the resulting .obj file in Daz Studio as the mapping modes aren't entirely compatible, so some adjustment will be necessary.

• LearstangLearstang Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Is it my imagination, or is Bryce 7.1 Pro incapable of importing .obj objects? It doesn't appear in the list of downloadable file types on my version of Bryce.

Best Regards,

Jason

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bryce can import .obj:

btyce_imports_obj.jpg
    1294 x 836 - 510K
    edited December 1969

Are you importing it as a file and not an object?

Best Regards,

Jason

edited December 1969

learstang said:
    Are you importing it as a file and not an object?

Best Regards,

Jason

Yes, to import an .obj, you use the file menu 'Import Object' option.
    If you are trying to import an object directly into the pre set library, it has to be an .obp

edited December 1969

Attached are the error message I get when I first try to import an object, then the list of object files I can actually import. It's much smaller than the one in the other post here.

Best Regards,

Jason

DAZ_Import_Files_List.jpg
    578 x 339 - 92K
    DAZ_Error_Message.jpg
    560 x 220 - 32K
    edited December 1969

Could you tell us what actual version of Bryce you're running?

It should be 7.1.0.109

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Very strange because all versions of Bryce have been able to import .obj files. Right back to Bryce 2

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Very strange because all versions of Bryce have been able to import .obj files. Right back to Bryce 2

Yes, that's what I thought too.
    Was asking on the very remote off chance that a not fully functional Beta version had escaped.

edited December 1969

Could you tell us what actual version of Bryce you're running?

It should be 7.1.0.109

That's what it appears to be; I'm trying to re-install but running into some problems doing that! Strange indeed. Hopefully if I re-install, that will take care of it. I haven't had any problem importing .obj files until this version (I can still create them). Thanks all for the help!

Best Regards,

Jason

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The missing .dll that it says it can't find is a Bryce 5 .dll

Did you by chance install Br 7 on top of Bryce 5.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited July 2013

When you have problems with installing/uninstalling an application i can recommend you Revo Uninstaller Pro .With this unistaller you can uninstall buggy application with missing/corrupted uninstalers even by force by locating/pointing to the main .exe file.It removes all the left over registry tree related keys even related folders (be careful not to delete your setup/installer file by mistake :D>). This Revo can uninstall even buggy Adobe photoshop with thousands of registry entries.The only thing Revo couldn't remove properly from my pc was an Open Office Org 3.3 with another OOO version 3.4 installed over (a free .org application similar to Microsoft Office) which uses Java due to java routine call conflict between Java 6.22/33 of the OOO 3.3 and the latest Java 7 version of the OOO 3.4 and a missing openofficeorg33.msi.
    At least Revo shows related folders and i had to delete them manually.

Now i learnt my lesson, for editing XML files from games to create mods (i.e Caesar IV), Notepad++ is enough/great for my needs hehe , no need an O.O.O 3.4 for some stupid XML files :).

After this a registry scan/defragment for missing/invalid keys would be great too.
    Some people recommend CCleaner but i don't know that.

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Cris and all for the help! I've uninstalled everything, then re-installed Bryce and it imported an .obj file without any problems. If I have any further questions, I will post them here. Again, thank you all for the help!

Best Regards,

Jason

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

A better idea to uninstalling this type software, if it's running correctly, is to slightly rename it and let the new software installer install the new software. This way you still have the older software and the newer software. I've done this twice now and two older versions of Bryce and Bryce 7.1 Pro.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

Or keep it and install the new version in another folder. My motto is, never replace a working piece of software. Once you're happy and don't think you'll need the previous version, that would be the moment to uninstall it.