BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ♦♦♦♦♦.SUMMER EDITION ♦♦♦♦♦ "Beatiing the Heat" ~~~~~ WIP THREAD

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited July 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Fourth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "Beating the Heat"

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before transferring the render to the actual Contest thread for judging.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the June Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the July contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th August Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

This in addition to the $20 DAZ 3D gift certificate will be given to the person whose render is selected as the best, $10 for 2nd Place and $5 for 3rd place that I have already been offering

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

ok I will go first here is this babies idea of beating the heat with moms help......Thanks to Spacebones for the great water objects!!!

beat_the_heat3.jpg
    1288 x 643 - 685K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Trish: Love it.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss I can hardly wait to see yours!!

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I've a question about the contest renders. How much importing from DAZ or elsewhere are we allowed to do? I ask because I see all these wonderful renders with animals, people, etc., and unless I've really missed something, you can't do those without an import.

Is it the final render that matters? Should the final render contain a certain percentage that's all Bryce?

I have an idea I'd like to do for this month, but it will require some work in Daz imported to Bryce. If I'm even capable (and at this point I doubt it) of accomplishing what I am thinking.

thanks.

edited December 1969

In the rules above it states that imported content is allowed but it must be rendered in Bryce.......

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, as Trish say imported Content is allowed, but it must be obviously a Bryce render, by which I mean a Bryce setting, sky etc.

I have also said that the winner of each challenge can add specific rules if they like, when they choose the theme for the next challenge, so it is possible that someone will set a challenge which says "No imports" in the future.

The idea of a challenge is that it is other forum members challenging you to do things.

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Thanks you two, just wanted to make sure I fully understood. Now to work!

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

When the summer heat gets oppressive, the Cows like nothing better than to wait until after dark and jump out of the tallest tree into the lake!

I used to do it myself in The Old Days. Good to see The Cows carrying on the tradition (even if the splash is a fractal I exported as a 3D Model and gave a watery look to!) (In fact, I hadn't opened Bryce in so long I just wanted to see how this fractal would look) (One thing led to another, and this is what happened) (May as well post it here!) (MOOO!!) (I like paranthesis!).

moo-splash.jpg
    1434 x 735 - 344K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss I can hardly wait to see yours!!

Ah, well, the expectation is kind of you but I don't think I'm going to enter anything. In fact I haven't done anything with Bryce for several weeks now. And I don't know when I will.

edited December 1969

Oh Guss don't say that. We all love seeing what you come up with.

edited July 2013

oh whoops, froum going squiffy again when posting. I loved your entry for the last one.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Beating the summer heat...for me anyway...usually involves a coooool Coke...aaahhh...followed by a nice glass (or several glasses..hic) of red wine (:)). But, otherwise, a nice cool breeze will also do.

As I couldn’t really represent a breeze, I thought its effects on objects (like towels – created in Sculptris) might suit. Have to admit I don’t like the clouds and sky. Tried several changes in this area, but it affected the lighting, shadows etc.,. (there's proabaly a way around this, but I don't have enough Bryce experience) In the end, abandoned it, and went with what worked. Oh, and took the yacht out (;))

Title: “Summer Breeze”

Jay
    Ps. Love the humorous approach in both submissions above by bullit and socratease (;)) Mine’s too serious in comparison!

summer-breeze.jpg
    1200 x 650 - 824K
    edited December 1969

Jay; really like the modeling job and the foam on the water is good...I do agree about the sky though....maybe someone will be along in a bit for suggestions in that area

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I just plugged in my air conditioner yesterday for the first time this year. I hate AC, it gives me a headache. But I set it to 87 degrees and it's still kicking on a lot!

It kills the humidity in this room though. I'd be afraid to run my computers much the way it's been getting out here!

Jamahoney said:
    Beating the summer heat...for me anyway...usually involves a coooool Coke...aaahhh...followed by a nice glass (or several glasses..hic) of red wine (:)). But, otherwise, a nice cool breeze will also do.

As I couldn’t really represent a breeze, I thought its effects on objects (like towels – created in Sculptris) might suit. Have to admit I don’t like the clouds and sky. Tried several changes in this area, but it affected the lighting, shadows etc.,. (there's proabaly a way around this, but I don't have enough Bryce experience) In the end, abandoned it, and went with what worked. Oh, and took the yacht out (;))

Title: “Summer Breeze”

Jay
    Ps. Love the humorous approach in both submissions above by bullit and socratease (;)) Mine’s too serious in comparison!

Serious?

In a render?

That's an interesting concept.

I'll have to pretend I want to think about the possibility of contemplating maybe including a trace of that concept in my Art one day.

Nah.

Nevermind.

It's against my Religion.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2013

Here's my initial idea for this month's theme.

The background is a 360° photo just mapped onto a cylinder (to aid the reflections as well as to provide the background) as opposed to an HDRI dome. The lighting comes from the Bryce sun and Beverly Hill HDRI. The stuff on the table are Brycified (materials changed to Bryce procedural mats) and slightly modified freebie models from the internet. The only post work (apart from changing the finished HDR from 32 bit to 8 bit) is adding the advert headline and my signature. Rendered at 16RPP with MRD at 6 and TIR at 6 (to help with the glass). TA with scattering correction and soft shadows. Total render time a touch less than 3 hours.

IcedDrink.jpg
    1000 x 495 - 372K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

The background is a 360° photo just mapped onto a cylinder (to aid the reflections as well as to provide the background) as opposed to an HDRI dome. The lighting comes from the Bryce sun and Beverly Hill HDRI. The stuff on the table are Brycified (materials changed to Bryce procedural mats) and slightly modified freebie models from the internet. The only post work (apart from changing the finished HDR from 32 bit to 8 bit) is adding the advert headline and my signature. Rendered at 16RPP with MRD at 6 and TIR at 6 (to help with the glass). TA with scattering correction and soft shadows. Total render time a touch less than 3 hours.

I love it

edited December 1969

Savage; Amazing!! I think you have a winner here

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited July 2013

One minor critique, the color of the Jack Daniels in the bottle seems a bit greenish to me. What's in the glass seems okay but a bit light but that could just be from melted ice or something it's mixed with. All in all though Jack Daniels should be a bit more amber in color (see attachment). Other then that though great picture, I feel cooler already. :)

jackdaniels-main_Full.jpg
    600 x 400 - 52K
    Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

One minor critique, the color of the Jack Daniels in the bottle seems a bit greenish to me.

Yes, I agree... I think that the blue sky behind the bottle has made it go greenish... I'll compensate for that and re-render it next chance I get.
    I also think that the table could do with some more stuff on it but I don't know what yet... Initially I thought about a pair of sunglasses.
    edited December 1969

Well I've altered the colour of the bottle now... A have also used the same amended material in the poured drink for consistency.
    I also took some of the yellow colour out of the background to make the feature foreground stand out a bit more.

IcedDrink2.jpg
    1000 x 495 - 381K
    edited December 1969

Now that JD does look drinkable now. :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

I may have missed something Dave, -- why are the shadows on the table in one direction and the palm trees in the opposite direction.

edited December 1969

No you haven't missed much mermaid... It's because I couldn't get the person who took the photo I've used as a background to retake it when the sun was in the right direction to exactly match the ideal lighting setup for my foreground. [insert cheeky grin emoticon]...

But between other things I'm on with at the moment, I am also trying to alter the lighting to try and find a setup where the light matches better. In the photo, the sun is actually directly overhead, the shadows looking like they're coming at the camera is down to the trees leaning slightly.

I think the solution may be to set up a radial light in roughly the same position as where the sun would be in the photograph background and set its influence to only affect the table top. Then it's light will reduce the shadows behind my objects to virtually nothing and introduce shadows in the correct place to match the background, and all without it affecting the lighting which is at present lighting up the actual objects... I hope.

Of course adding a radial light will also increase the render time considerably so it may take a while to get around to that part.

edited December 1969

I may be stupid, but could you just copy the background in a paint program and reverse it,so the shadows go the same way.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well I've altered the colour of the bottle now... A have also used the same amended material in the poured drink for consistency.
    I also took some of the yellow colour out of the background to make the feature foreground stand out a bit more.

Much better although now with the color on the JD improved the kind of washed out appearance of the lemon slice seems more noticeable.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I may be stupid, but could you just copy the background in a paint program and reverse it,so the shadows go the same way.

You can make them go left to right doing it that way but not front to back.
    edited December 1969

Much better although now with the color on the JD improved the kind of washed out appearance of the lemon slice seems more noticeable.

Hopefully that'll get sorted out when I do the final tweaks to the lighting.
    The problem is that a lemon slice is semi transparent in the segments and I'm using a short cut of just applying a photo to a 2D disc so can't get the absolute correct effect. Again it may be that I have to apply a yellow light just to the slice to try and saturate it's colour more.
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Brilliant image. Though the last time I tasted JD it reminded me of the warning label on paint thinner cans.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Okay, was able to change the sky...simply by creating a huge, flat-faced mirror to hide all the grey clouds (from the horizon upwards). Tilting the mirror forward by ~ 30 degrees, it now is reflecting the aquamarine colour of the water (some transparency applied to the mirror to leave some grey sky come through).

Added in some islands, too, for extra depth, and, finally, softened the shadows. Mirror reflections etc., caused the render time to up several times the previous. In the end, work looks better, I think, and it’s got a more balmy, Caribbean look to it.

Yeah...Jack Daniels really is a gorgeous whisky...and packs a punch, too. But damn, it's dear ~ Euro 28.00 over here (about Dollars 36.00).

Jay

summerbreeze2.jpg
    1200 x 647 - 859K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Brilliant image. Though the last time I tasted JD it reminded me of the warning label on paint thinner cans.

I've never tasted it... I've been teetotal all of my adult life. :-D