New Users Contest - June 2013

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited August 2013 in New User Contests and Events

New User's Contest - June 2013

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and FeralFey

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Reaction and Interaction"

This month’s contest is designed to help you when posing 2 figures in a scene and have them reacting with each other

This may sound a simple concept, but it can be difficult to get a believable interaction between 2 (or more) figures. You need to take into consideration not only the way the figures are placed physically and how they are posed, but also to remember things like body language and eye contact.

Intent: A render with two figures interacting with each other.

THis can be two human figures or two animal or non human figures, or even one of each, the choice is yours, as is the choice of how they are reacting, it can be a friendly scene, an action scene, a love scene (within TOS limits of course) or even a fight scene:- whatever takes your fancy.

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need

FeralFey may also pop in from time to time to give you any hints and tips you may need..

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread :Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD. People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

We would like to thank FeralFey who has graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest They will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s contest. To view some of FeralFey's items please see their store front here FeralFey's store
Closing Date: June 30th 2013

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

This is my first entry into a contest. This is titled Girl & Horse and was created in DAZ3D 4.6.

Girl_Horse.jpg
    634 x 356 - 58K
  • DigitalMirrorsDigitalMirrors Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Feline Horseplay

Daz 4.6
    Daz Horse 2 - Millenium Cat - House Mouse
    Barn Yard - Skydome
    UberEnvironment2 - 2 Spotlights - direction light

HCM.jpg
    800 x 600 - 267K
    Post edited by DigitalMirrors on
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited June 2013

Alright, going to leave it at this :) My very first contest entry ever.

Made in Daz 4.6.

Titile: "Please"

Please_Take_2_1i_-_final.jpg
    618 x 800 - 110K
    Post edited by mori_mann on
  • PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

A less friendly interaction :

'Last day in the arena'

Last_Day_in_the_Arena.jpg
    1650 x 1050 - 852K
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

Treasure of my Heart

Him: "You are the treasure of my heart beautiful, will you be mine?"

Her: "I am already yours silly, I've always been"

treasureofmyheart.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 684K
  • GallCommTVGallCommTV Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Hey you two, hit the sack. Lights out in five minutes.

Oasis_by_night.jpg
    1514 x 884 - 358K
  • FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,888
    edited December 1969

Wow! There are some genuinely nice renders going on in here. It's great to see people working on two figure interactions. Sometimes it's these multiple figure interactions that are the hardest to get just "so" because you have to be aware of where the meshes might intersect and the spatial relationship between your models, but, when you put the time and effort into doing interaction poses, it really pays off.

One tip I recommend when I'm working with two models in close proximity, for example hand holding, While in the perspective view camera active, I select a part of the hand and then aim the camera on that bone by clicking on the squared corners around the plus sign button (on the upper right of the scene) with my right mouse button. This will zoom the camera in closer so that I can see what's going on.

Next I swivel the camera so that it's inside the mesh of one of the figures I'm working with. If the mesh of the other figure is poking through, I back off the "offending" mesh by double clicking it and then manually changing the rotation numbers, rather than relying on the dial. The dial is great for moving the bone for gross distances, but for the finer detail required of interactive poses, it's best to change the rotations in smaller increments and entering the numbers in the space is the best way to do this.

Now, for parts of the body where there is more flesh, you can get away with a little poke-through. Areas like the pads of the fingertips, the pad of the thumb, the fleshy part between the thumb and the index finger, and the heel of the palm. But generally, you want to make sure that there isn't any poke-through over all. The reasons for this are a)bony parts don't moosh (< a highly technical term *smile*) as they're too rigid and b) some models, like Genesis and some of Genesis' clothes, have smoothing turned on at a higher rate and any poke through of one model on another becomes amplified.

And since I'm talking about holding hands, I'd like to highlight carola.ottoson's entry, "Treasure of My Heart". She (pardon, if I'm making an assumption on your gender) did a nice job. Notice how the fingers interlace in a romantic and evocative manner? There is a definite interconnection going on there, as well as the obvious eye contact.

***Disclaimer*** Just because I'm pointing out this image, it does not diminish anyone else's entry. There are many fine entries, all demonstrating different aspects of posing for interactions. I hope to sneak in some more time and make more comments, hopefully highlighting other images. Now it's time for me to crawl back into my hole and work on some more pose sets. Lol. Keep up the good work everyone!

• Dave_5690Dave_5690 Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Troll Queen

trollqueen2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 372K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited June 2013

created with Daz3D 4.5

"Arise, my minion!"

Witch2.jpg
    533 x 799 - 207K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
  • keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is my entry, started as a 'test' for the new genesis 2 posing features.

Title: "Busted!"
    The little rascal found a good place to peek at the three acrobats in a training session... but he didn't realize the window is a two-way viewpoint!

All hand posed and rendered in poser, since my 32bit rig couldn't cope with the scene in daz studio (memory overflow galore...)

bustedfinal.jpg
    800 x 504 - 152K
    edited June 2013

Created with Daz3D 4.5

"Knife Fight"

fight2.jpg
    533 x 799 - 263K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

See You Later?

Daz 4.6

See_You_Later.jpg
    400 x 400 - 116K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2013

Title: "I Missed You."

Edit: Skies are "Incoming Storm" from Skull Cove, my own lightset (not Skull Cove's), Victoria 5 character, and Millennium Subdragon.
    Created With Daz 4.6, Postwork Corel Photo Paint

cassinidragonBkgrnd10USESML.jpg
    800 x 576 - 237K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2013

Unconditional Friends

DMR Ellas Quest, Millennium Subdragon, V5 character different arm pose and lighting, DOF.
    Created With Daz 4.6, Postwork Corel Photo Paint

cassinidragonBkgrnd14bSmlUse.jpg
    800 x 610 - 288K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Dude, the other left.

DAZ Studio 4.6
    Two Blank Boi's (each with their own texture), 3-D-C's Freebie Scifi Corridor Set, and Hero FX
    UberEnvironment2 and 3 Distant lights.

Dude,_the_other_left_2_FINAL_3_by_NV_Oracle.jpg
    800 x 600 - 268K
  • eposiceposic Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I'm so new to the DAZ community, I haven't even read all of the posts for new users yet, but I wanted to enter this contest anyway. Would have liked to post this to the WIP thread for comments, but got started on it late and now I'm out of time.

Title: I Never Said You Had to Fly

Rendering Software: DAZ Studio 4.6
    Postwork Software: Serif PhotoPlus X5

Girl_and_Piglet.jpg
    800 x 444 - 147K
  • HitManWAHitManWA Posts: 152
    edited June 2013

Title: Slamming the Competition!
    Daz 4.6

MMA1stContest.jpg
    800 x 600 - 398K
    Post edited by HitManWA on
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited June 2013

A most common situation: he took the wrong exit from the "highway", and she starts to tell him off...

Title: "That ain't no Mars!"
    Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro

That_aint_no_Mars_C.jpg
    800 x 450 - 301K
    Post edited by Arnold C on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

This contest is now closed. Good luck everyone

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited July 2013

Winners are:

1st - Last Day in the Arena by peter.schelfhout
    2nd - Feline Horseplay by LisaDM
    HM - Busted by Kesh

Congratulation to everyone. Will the winners please contact me by PM and give me your email attached to your DAZ account and a link to 1 product of choice (Excluding Bundles) from FeralFey's store http://www.daz3d.com/feralfey. The email is needed to add your prizes to your account.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

Grats all ! *happy smile*

edited December 1969

Wow, thank you!! And congrats to LisaDM and Kesh!

Peter.

edited December 1969

Good job, and congratz!

edited December 1969

And thanks to Feralfey for giving away these cool prizes!! ;)

Peter.

edited December 1969

Well done folks! The poses were exceptional. (And Lisa, you know I love your horse, lol!)
    Cathie

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you!

And my congrats to all the posters :)

Loved the horse and kitten one in particular.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to everyone who entered.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree

Congrats to everyone who entered.

This was a difficult contest to judge, a very tight vote from the judges.

Everyone was a winner really, and you all worked so hard. Well done all of you :)

edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners.

I would like to thank everyone who posted helpful comments. I learned so much participating in this contest and am preparing my entry for July's contest.

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Absolutely, congratulations to the winners and everyone who entered.