Genesis to Genesis 2

leo04leo04 Posts: 305
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have a character based on the Genesis actor.

I now want to transfer this character, with all the physical characteristics of the original Genesis character to the new Genesis 2 actor.

I have no idea what to do to accomplish this task.

Can anyone help me with this?

I would need some in depth explanation as I am still new to using DAZ and don't know all the functions it has.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

At the moment Genesis 2 Female does not have all the morphs of Genesis 1, though people have figures out ways to transfer them here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093 . The GenX product, for transferring morphs, is going to be updated to handle Genesis to Genesis 2, but no ETA has been given yet. Texture use will depend on whjch UV Set you used - natively, G2F supports only the Victoria 5 and Genesis Female UV sets, though you can add the V4 set with the Victoria 4 for Geensis 2Female product or use the Map Transfer tool in DS to convert maps to a supported UV set.

• Ernesto BevierteErnesto Bevierte Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

At the moment Genesis 2 Female does not have all the morphs of Genesis 1

... so the 'Genesis 2 Female(s) Morphs Bundle' is an incomplete set of morphs?

Please pardon me but, despite the fact that I've been toying with DAZ products for years, there is much that I don't know. I was under the assumption that one of the features of the Genesis platform was that it would allow one to use V4 clothing on V5 or later characters. But, in seeking answers from DAZ, I got the following response:

"Genesis Evolution Morph Bundle is for Genesis 1 and V4/V5. The Genesis (Female 2 Morph Bundle) is for Genesis 2 and V6."

Does that mean that the upgrade from Genesis 1 to Genesis 2 breaks the continuum? V4 clothing will not work on V6 character?

Thanks in advance for the clarification,
    Ernesto

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

I meant that Genesis 2 female doesn't yet have equivalents for all the DAZ and third-party morph sets available for Genesis 1, since I didn't know which morph sets you has used for your character.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited June 2013

. so the ‘Genesis 2 Female(s) Morphs Bundle’ is an incomplete set of morphs?

Only in the sense that every morph bundle does not contain EVERY conceivable morph.

Does that mean that the upgrade from Genesis 1 to Genesis 2 breaks the continuum? V4 clothing will not work on V6 character?

If you purchase the V4 iconic shapes for Genesis 2, which I can't find a link to at the moment, it supplies a clone to the Autofit plugin, and you can use V4 clothing directly on Genesis 2. At the moment, Autofit only supports V4 clothing for Genesis (1) without the extra shapes

EDIT:

Sorry Richard - XPost..

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

... edit ...

Thanks in advance for the clarification,
    Ernesto

This product enables V4 clothing to fit Genesis 2: http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female

• leo04leo04 Posts: 305
    edited December 1969

At the moment Genesis 2 Female does not have all the morphs of Genesis 1, though people have figures out ways to transfer them here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093 . The GenX product, for transferring morphs, is going to be updated to handle Genesis to Genesis 2, but no ETA has been given yet. Texture use will depend on whjch UV Set you used - natively, G2F supports only the Victoria 5 and Genesis Female UV sets, though you can add the V4 set with the Victoria 4 for Geensis 2Female product or use the Map Transfer tool in DS to convert maps to a supported UV set.

Thank for this information I will look into the link you provided. I am new enough to not understand what you mean about the UV set...and how that works...can you shed any light...?

thanks

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Genesis (or any 3D model) is a set of points in 3 dimensions; the texture files are 2-dimensional images. The UVset tells DAZ Studio what point on the 2-dimensional image corresponds to each point on the 3-dimensional object. In the same way that making a flat map of the earth gives a distorted picture, a flat texture gets distorted when applied to the model. Since Genesis can have so many different shapes, it was created to be able to use different UVsets -- this way a shape like Anubis or Freak 5 can have a special UVset to minimize distortion. In order for Genesis 2 to use a texture correctly, it needs to know the correct UVset to use.

edited December 1969

Okay I guess I wasn't clear enough or didn't understand some of the replies.

I have a Genesis Character. I want to morph her onto a Genesis 2 character.

The physical person not the clothes or accessories. The body.

Does that help at all?
    Thanks

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It can only be done (Genesis 1 to Genesis 2) If the figure you made with Genesis 1 only uses morphs that the Genesis 2 also has. The morphs are those dials/sliders in the Shaping Tab or Parameters Tab. If you used sliders in your Genesis 1 figure that are not in the Genesis 2 figure you can not copy it from Genesis 1 to Genesis 2. The needed shapes must be in both figures before it can be done.

edited August 2013

leo said:
    I have a character based on the Genesis actor.

I now want to transfer this character, with all the physical characteristics of the original Genesis character to the new Genesis 2 actor.

I have no idea what to do to accomplish this task.

Can anyone help me with this?

I would need some in depth explanation as I am still new to using DAZ and don't know all the functions it has.

and ...

leo said:
    Okay I guess I wasn't clear enough or didn't understand some of the replies.

I have a Genesis Character. I want to morph her onto a Genesis 2 character.

The physical person not the clothes or accessories. The body.

Does that help at all?
    Thanks

Came back to revisit my post and see what replies there where.

Has there been anything new developed for my original quesiton?

Post edited by leo04 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

No.

Why not just 're-create' the character starting with Genesis 2?

edited December 1969

Wouldn't that require me coping all the settings under the shaping tab? Seems to me I should be able to copy those settings then paste them.

However I have yet to figure that out.

I also have specific patterns for face and skin textures to be used...some of which where developed for the Genesis V5 and Tori models.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited August 2013

Skin textures that use the V5 UVset will work with G2F.

As for parameter dials, if the internal name of the dials matches you may be able to copy them over that way.

ETA: but just because the dial has the same name doesn't mean it will look exactly the same.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • justin28justin28 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

I have a related but noob question:

how can I use Genesis 1 clothing / hair with Genesis 2 characters, and vice versa ?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Genesis 1 (original) clothing and hair can be used with Genesis 2 figures via the Autofit Plugin which comes free with DAZ Studio.

Going backwards (G2 to Genesis) is a different matter, and DAZ Studio does not have that capability.

Generation 4 clothing (V4, M4, Kids 4) can be Autofitted to Genesis, the result saved and then these can be Autofitted to Genesis 2, so it would be a two step process form Generation 4 to Genesis 2, but it can still be done.