Mephistopolis Noir, the all-new comic-book shader for DAZ|Studio! IN THE STORE NOW! [Commercial]

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited July 2013

Just a few more days, lasses and lads! This contest will close on the morning of 8 July --- that's next Monday!

Woman_in_a_Doorway_1.jpg
    451 x 618 - 310K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

i went a bit overboard with my picture... I hope it will be acceptable but it may have too much in it... T_T it was so much fun...

edited July 2013

Alright, yes, this one took me a few days because well... DS issues.

Anyway I'm very pleased with this, it shows, hopefully, that different effects are achievable with this plugin. What do you think?

Credits, all allowed for commercial use:
    Cherry for V4 by Addy - http://www.daz3d.com/cherry
    Trendy Baby top by Daz/Sarsa/Bobbie25 - http://www.daz3d.com/trendy-baby
    Bad Guy for Genesis pants and shoes by Smay - http://www.daz3d.com/bad-guy-for-genesis
    V4 classic-Ring Shoe Pack by Daz - http://www.daz3d.com/v4-classic-ring-shoe-pack
    Hair from Sheer and Sexy Bundle for V3 by Daz/Neftis3D/Jim Burton, Lourdes, Moyra - http://www.daz3d.com/sheer-and-sexy-bundle-for-v3
    Optitex free dynamic ruffle skirt (from their website)
    Used Fisty's Sparkle Shaders (velvet) - http://www.daz3d.com/sparkles-for-studio
    As well as Gemologica by Fisty/Marieah (on the Trendy top and optitex skirt and on the metal on the desk) http://www.daz3d.com/gemologica
    Setting (desk, chair, floor, books, glasses, pen, bookshelves) and pose from Late Nights at the Library, by Ironman13
    I also used Calida wood and marble shaders. for darker wood and shiny floor.

The Mephistopolis Noir for this image, is applied to a geo shell ON EVERTYHING YES EVERYTHING EVERY SINGLE BOOK EVERY SINGLE THING. :P

I like the effect!!!! :D
    Untouched Daz render.

ADaysWork_s.jpg
    1100 x 733 - 1M
    Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

You used it as a Geometry Shell shader? That's one I hadn't considered! Fine work!

edited December 1969

YES! I got to thinking, because sometimes in postwork I like to do a blend of a "realistic" shaded image, and a toon shader image, but using the shader on Geoshell (which i got the idea from BT's anime shaders on a geo shell) gives an excellent blend of the textures and shaders without needing any postwork! Granted it can be a killer to have erm... some several hundred geo shells in one scene (all those books!!!) T_T but it was worth it!

Feel free to use that image :)

edited December 1969

Heck, this is Miss Angie's best chowder: I want the recipe! (Pretty please?)

;)

edited July 2013

Recipe? chowder? I'm a shade confused....

For my image I modified the preset a bit, i thinned the outline, increased the dot percentage, and upped the color value; I tended to the outline being darker (the outline color always looks brighter in the render than it does as the 'real' color) and a middle color for the dots, if it was too dark it doesn't show up as strongly. I used mostly yellows on the books and wood, and everything else i matched the colors to the main color tone of the time it was overlaying; such as for the skin, a pale peach and pinkish dots, bright red on the hair, and so on. Also set the opacity of the geo shell to about 15-20% or even lower, you want the dots to show up but not want the geoshell to obscure the objects. I used a UE light at about 55% brightness, and two distant lights at 15% and 20%, mostly for a bit of specular and to help the shader stand out. Make the lights brighter and everything goes BOOM with shader effect. :) I kept it muted and mixed.

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

That's the chowder recipe I meant--- sorry for the wild metaphors. You don't mind if I include it, do you?

edited December 1969

I can send you the preset I saved, let me figure out how to do that and send it :) I saved it as a shader, but it really needs to be modified to match whatever its being layered over- you can see I used different colors and settings in my picture.

edited December 1969

I had to work this morning, so y'all got a few more hours grace. It is 1317 hrs (about quarter after one in the afternoon), Eastern Daylight Time, on 8 July, 2013. This contest is now closed. All further images posted will be considered NAEs and will not be entered into consideration for the store image gallery. You may continue to post them here, however, or on your own gallery sites at DA, RDNA, Rendo, or elsewhere. Thanks for playing and for the awesome images!

This one is for banditcameraman: I got it to render a 1000x1000 image in DS3, with all surfaces at DD of 1,000,000π (3,141,592.6 or so). Surprisingly fast render, actually.

Pi-M_Horse_Rider_#2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Great effect! what settings for that one?

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited July 2013

I had to work this morning, so y'all got a few more hours grace. It is 1317 hrs (about quarter after one in the afternoon), Eastern Daylight Time, on 8 July, 2013. This contest is now closed. All further images posted will be considered NAEs and will not be entered into consideration for the store image gallery. You may continue to post them here, however, or on your own gallery sites at DA, RDNA, Rendo, or elsewhere. Thanks for playing and for the awesome images!

This one is for banditcameraman: I got it to render a 1000x1000 image in DS3, with all surfaces at DD of 1,000,000π (3,141,592.6 or so). Surprisingly fast render, actually.

O.M.G! 0_0

I love the stippling effect ! I'm with Alia; any other settings, please :D

EDIT: PS. Does that mean if our entries are in the running we can't post it to dA or elsewhere?

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

The Mephistopolis Noir for this image, is applied to a geo shell ON EVERTYHING YES EVERYTHING EVERY SINGLE BOOK EVERY SINGLE THING. :P

I like the effect!!!! :D
    Untouched Daz render.

This is awesome <3 I love me a good Noir :D Gotta try this technique and genre =)</p>

edited July 2013

Great effect! what settings for that one?

I was trying to see if adjusting the width had any effect on the pattern (not for constant heights, just as I'd suspected earlier), and I was trying to get the moiré into overdrive. So I picked a nice irrational number, pi, and multiplied it by 1,000,000 (the DD limits have to be turned off) to apply to all surfaces. I must say, the noise graininess really does help it along. Most other settings are the 20th C. defaults. (Do not, EVER, render anything with any amount of Reflection Strength in an empty scene... I was waiting for hours on the horse's corneas before I cancelled and reduced that parameter to 0.0% for a re-render.)

So again: DD @ 1M π, Y=1000 pixels.

Pi-M_Horse_Rider_#3.jpg
    607 x 1000 - 654K
    Pi-M_Horse_Rider_#1.jpg
    772 x 1000 - 654K
    edited December 1969

EDIT: PS. Does that mean if our entries are in the running we can't post it to dA or elsewhere?

Only the accepted entries: please withhold those, outside of their appearance in this thread, until after the product is in (or at least, accepted by) the store here at DAZ3D. I don't want the package to look like I'd merely been harvesting other folks' galleries, of course.

edited December 1969

I can send you the preset I saved, let me figure out how to do that and send it :) I saved it as a shader, but it really needs to be modified to match whatever its being layered over- you can see I used different colors and settings in my picture.
    I'd love it! Thanks!

I may have to include a set of GeoShell presets in the final product as well...

edited December 1969

Only the accepted entries: please withhold those, outside of their appearance in this thread, until after the product is in (or at least, accepted by) the store here at DAZ3D. I don't want the package to look like I'd merely been harvesting other folks' galleries, of course.

Understood and I totally agree :D

edited December 1969

I may have to include a set of GeoShell presets in the final product as well...

Yes please! =P~

edited December 1969

Eustace I sent a PM to you earlier with the preset I saved, did you get it??

edited December 1969

Eustace I sent a PM to you earlier with the preset I saved, did you get it??

No, but thanks for trying, anyway. I should have enough to go on from the recipe formula you posted.

I don't think files PM very well: I haven't been able to, anyway...

edited December 1969

Bummer, you really need to be able to get PM's, is your inbox full by chance? please check :( I'll resend my message

edited December 1969

It's not full, I just didn't get the first one at all. The second one had the thumbnail but no preset.

edited July 2013

Thanks for trying again-- I see the file, but the board won't let me DL it. Just ZIP it and email, I suppose.

As to the purchase question: the shaders you have are yours to keep and to play with. The base shader files will need very minor adjustments before going into the store, like converting the DSAs to DSBs if they'll still work that way, and so forth (and making certain they're not trailing any textures they oughtn't). But the node structure is set. The product in the store will be the same one you've got in that respect, but with a brightly-colored documentation file and several folders of presets. That's the "discounted product" I referred to in the first post.

edited December 1969

That's very cool... i'll send you an email, sorry that its not working with the PM >_< crazyness
    crazy, like me several days on soooooooooooooooooooooo little sleep :D

edited December 1969

Eustace you'll have to send me your email address, its not in your readme and I don't have it ... or did I miss something?

edited December 1969

Sent a PM.

edited December 1969

Replied :)

edited December 1969

Replied :)

Yes, thank you! Sorry I hadn't got back to you earlier. This is great!
    edited December 1969

YES! I got to thinking, because sometimes in postwork I like to do a blend of a "realistic" shaded image, and a toon shader image, but using the shader on Geoshell (which i got the idea from BT's anime shaders on a geo shell) gives an excellent blend of the textures and shaders without needing any postwork! Granted it can be a killer to have erm... some several hundred geo shells in one scene (all those books!!!) T_T but it was worth it!

Feel free to use that image :)

You don't mind my quoting you in the documentation, do you?

;-)

edited December 1969

Found an error in the Depth Cue coding while setting up the documentation: if you have a copy, expect an update this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.