WIP thread New Users Contest - July 2013

NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
edited August 2013 in New User Contests and Events

New User's Contest - July 2013

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and 3djoji

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Fun in the Sun"

This month’s contest is just about having some fun rendering time

Looking to practice all that you have learnt over the last while, this month's contest is just about having some fun with your rendering. Let yourself go and dive in to the depths of your runtime, and sea what you can come up with!

Intent: Try using your own lights, shaders and poses where you can, to show us what you can do.

This can be any type of scene that you want, as long as it falls under the heading of "Fun in the Sun". Of course it needs to be within TOS as well.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread :Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

We would like to thank 3djoji who has graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest They will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s contest. To view some of 3djoji's items please see their store front here

Closing Date: July 31th 2013

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Just in case we need this

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

I probably sound silly, and the answer is most probably there I just don't see it *smiles* But, I am a little unsure about this part

Intent: Try using your own lights, shaders and poses where you can, to show us what you can do.

As for Lights I assume (hopefully rightfully so) that you mean setting up our own light set with Ue, distant, spot, point etc etc. Insted of using lightsets that comes with different buildings/sets. If my assumption (darn I hate that word, always spells it wrong and have to change it) is wrong, let me know *grins*

When it comes to Poses, I hope that it means tweaking poses instead of using them straight out of the box. Cause I must admit I have no idea how to actually create a pose from scratch.

And lastly, Shaders. This is what causes me the most unsure feeling. I get a feeling that you mena us to use shaders we have made ourselves? And I honestly have no idea where to even start that. I did try once to follow a shader guide found here.. uhm, not sure if it was on the forum or in the store. But that guide was old, and in the end didn't actually work either despite that I followed it to the point. I think it might have been made for a earlier version of DAZ. Back to topic, if our own shaders mean to use shaders like Velvety Goodness, Peacock shaders, magical Granite etc I am not worried. But the whole.. making our own shaders is, well.. something I do want to learn but experience with that out of date guide (and not having found a up to date guide) makes me quite wary I must admit *smiles*

Anyhow, other than those concerns I look forward to put my mind into this months contest *smiles* I have learnt so much from these two contests I've been part of already, so really looking forward to this too *grins*

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Also, is this a Poses, Lights AND Shaders thing, or a Poses, Lights AND/OR shaders thing? Because shaders frighten me even out of the box, not to mention diy...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It is a make the best render you can with what you know type contest. Just enjoy yourself and have fun.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited December 1969

Here's the thread that will help you with shaders. I might take a crack at it, don't mind sharing the research!
    Cathie
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22154/

edited December 1969

Thanks Novica, it was the tutorial foudn here http://www.daz3d.com/shader-mixer-tutorial-i that I used and that did not work out at all *sad smiley* Had forgotten the other links, going to take a loo kat them but I think that is a bit too advanced for me, we will see *smiles*

edited July 2013

Basic Shaders like Fabricate and others are different things than the Shader Mixer. But if you can do Shader Mixer then do, if you can use store bought Shaders then do, if you can use free Shaders then do.

This is all about FUN in the SUN and what you can do with what you know. And if you need help getting the render idea done, ask for help. This one covers anything you might enjoy doing as long as it fits the theme.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) that means I don't have to fight with making shaders, if I manage to make them I've learnt something new if not I can rely on my trusted bought shaders from the store *smiles*

edited July 2013

Remember folks the PART that matters is USE your own IF YOU CAN. It does not say YOU MUST! Heck it does not even say you must use anything other than what you know and can do. Need a pose from a set use it, need to use textures you bought use them, just show the best you can do and have fun.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Sorry my intro was not quite clear enough but yes when I say using shaders I am more talking about replacing the textures on props scenery and outfits to make them look different,

And with the poses if you don't think you can make them from scratch adapt ones you have I do it all the time but try to change enough so that we are not sure of the pose set if that is possible while still giving the pose that you want.

Like Frank said this month while practising skills the biggest part is just to have some Fun.

edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Like Frank said this month while practising skills the biggest part is just to have some Fun.
    Jader reaches up, takes wig off to show his Bald Wizard Club blue skinned chrome dome,"Do I look like a fizzgig to you?"
    edited July 2013

Jaderail said:
    NeilV 1 said:
    Jader reaches up, takes wig off to show his Bald Wizard Club blue skinned chrome dome,"Do I look like a fizzgig to you?"

OK maybe it was Jaderail who said it (sorry Jaderail)

Post edited by NeilV_1 on
    edited December 1969

*laughs hysterically* sorry guys, but at interplay was just too fun *giggles*

I tend to change poses around, it's part of the fun *grins* sometimes only small tweaks, but it's even funnier to tweak them a lot *goes to plan*

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Wow, I love creating new poses, so if I only can get the renders done in time, the competition looks perfect for me! :D Shaders are okay too. I don't consider myself skilled in the matter, but they somehow... work. I don't know how do they do that, but they look very nice - and I only fiddle with colours and hues.

edited December 1969

Well, I was curious about the shader aspect. Apparently you can't just make a graphic (like in photo paint) and apply it to the surface. (where you browse and select image for diffuse) I get the popup that says
    tdlmake:error while making texture file
    and (my file name) not found (in shader 'dzplastic' on object '')

It applies and shows up in viewport, but renders black. Guess it meant what it says, lol

edited December 1969

What File type was it?

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited July 2013

This is what I have so far. The render is taken by 3Delight (the size of the image will be fixed for the final render) and about to try Luxrender.

I know the background isn't the greatest quality, but I'm willingly to learn how to create my own beach.

Used mixed shader on the Frisbee and one set of bikini, so far.

Critique away! *smile*

Having_fun!_1.0_.png
    1024 x 576 - 1M
    Post edited by Zenrel on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    What File type was it?

it's a jpg- I am in the middle of reading a tutorial and using the shader mixer, will keep you posted. I'm determined to master this, whether I even enter the contest or not.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

WIP - fun in the sun
    bring my ice tea please

wip_-_fun_in_the_sun.jpg
    978 x 734 - 389K
    edited December 1969

LOL- I've been watching too many horror movies. The first thing I thought was, "Uh oh...where's the piranhas???" Very nice WIP. And you know I have tease you.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Well, I was curious about the shader aspect. Apparently you can't just make a graphic (like in photo paint) and apply it to the surface. (where you browse and select image for diffuse) I get the popup that says
    tdlmake:error while making texture file
    and (my file name) not found (in shader 'dzplastic' on object '')

It applies and shows up in viewport, but renders black. Guess it meant what it says, lol

You should not have problems. I simply browse for a JPG or PNG I like and then apply it. Nothing wrong happens.

edited December 1969

See the thread on Shader Mixer- I definitely have errors on the CMYK as it is only taking RGB. It is a studio glitch- I have used images (CMYK) images many times in Diffuse channel for surfaces. SIGH.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25090/

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Title: Headed to the Beach W.I.P.

This is what I have so far for the July contest. I posed the figures from scratch (no use of poses) and I textured just about everything in sight. I have not applied any lights yet. It was rendered using 2 daylights so I could see what I was doing.

Before I go any farther I just wanted some opinions on the posing, scene, or anything else that is glaringly obvious to you but not to me.

Thanks in advance.

Headed_to_the_Beach_1.jpg
    400 x 400 - 117K
    edited December 1969

Wonderful setup!
    Okay, first impression- I would tuck the ball into the woman's stomach- if she's holding it, it probably wouldn't be out in the air like that, and second, it would put more attention on the child in the car. (Although it does draw your eye out.) Even if she is JUST grabbing the ball, tucking it in would give more "space" to the scene and the child would get more attention.

I adore the detail of the man's hand holding the cooler handle, VERY nice touch! Just a thought. Now if this were my setup- I'd have the lighting coming from OUR view- so it can shine in the car and light up the child more. Or our view just a bit to the side, so you can get some nice shadows to add "oomph." I really like this one- nice going! (and ignore everything I said if you like it the way it is. It's just how I would do it. *smile*)
    Cathie

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi all

Kismet: my 2 cents: the trunk door frames greatly the scene, keep that as the top reference for the final framing - good one. About the composition, all looks good but there is one main drawback imho, and that is to have several characters giving their back to the camera. In photography, television, filming etc. all scenes are composed trying to have all people facing the camera. Here the man loading the car can't be reposed, since it gives sense to the scene, but the girl with the ball (also with Novica's suggested tweaks) might be made looking at the man, so she would be at least giving her side to the camera instead of her back (i'm mostly talking of her head).
    Finally, a wider angle lens would allow you to get closer into the scene possibly cutting off the right side wall and beach-chair that are 'distracting' as they look now... besides, since they are loading the car to leave, an open beach chair is a bit odd; if you still want to include it in the scene, you might use it folded and maybe put it as a ramp between the ground and the trunk as if waiting to be collocated inside; this would also enhance eye catching and pull spectators' aim right into the scene.

edited December 1969

Thanks Novica & Kesh. Those are great suggestions. I was up quite late getting the poses to the stage they are. ( Probably should not have been working on it when I was so tired :) ) There were many details that bugged me and I know it still needed work. It is not even close to being a finished product. But, being a newbie, and not having a great deal of experience in real life photographing people, I figured it was time for some help.

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

Title: Karma

I used:
    Render: 3Delight
    Lights: 2 spotlights and 1 environment light

What do you guys think so far? Any adjustments needed?

Life_is_unfair.png
    1229 x 692 - 1M
  • Dave_5690Dave_5690 Posts: 19
    edited July 2013

I took "Fun in the Sun" literally. Suggestions?

sun.jpg
    800 x 800 - 486K
    Post edited by Dave_5690 on
    edited December 1969

@dave

That is such a cool idea. I like it.