Help OGU v3 - Object Grouping Utility for Windows

grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
edited June 2013 in The Commons

I just bought the product, and I went to the product library and click on it, and it doesn't give me an option to download it.

How do I down load 'OGU v3 - Object Grouping Utility for Windows'?

Post edited by grpruett on

Comments

• grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

I found where to download a demo, but the demo won't let me register it or activate it.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

If you downloaded the "fully functional" demo, then that's the software. According to the product page:

Registration Required:

This product requires registration with Winterbrose using Purchase Code issued by DAZ 3D for your purchase.

Check in the download file you got to see if there's a ReadMe or some other text file that gives you instructions on how to get in touch with Winterbrose so you can get it registered with her.

edited December 1969

Thanks, but I did all of that. I just sent the Winterbrose site an email, asking how to register my copy.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

OK, I hope you get a quick response. ~smile~

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

Where would this program be useful?

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The product page states it regroups your wavefront object files and makes them more efficient (read smaller). I have no idea how it does that and given Poser's occasionally fussy reaction to groups and internal naming I don't think I'd want to mess with any of my geometry files.

It can do batch work as well.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    The product page states it regroups your wavefront object files and makes them more efficient (read smaller). I have no idea how it does that and given Poser's occasionally fussy reaction to groups and internal naming I don't think I'd want to mess with any of my geometry files.

It can do batch work as well.

Thanks, I have already read the product description and even tried the demo though. In the manual it says:

"OGU is an advanced object grouping utility that Imports a 3D Model in the
    Wavefront Object (OBJ) file format and Exports an equivalent OBJ file with
    all the polygonal face/surface entries organized by Groups and Materials.
    Most 3D software handles the face/surface entries haphazardly and even
    though the object seems unaffected, it creates a nightmare for any manual
    modifications or searches through these portions of the OBJ file.
    After processing, there is only one reference to each Material per Group in
    the OBJ file making texture changes in as little as one find and replace."

So it seems to be useful for working with textures, but I wonder in in which context?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

I don't have this tool, but I think what it is probably doing is organising the order in which polygons are declared (which is not the same as vertex order, and doesn't break morph compatibility) so that all the polygons belong to one group are listed, then all in the next group and so on. Within each group of polygons all the polygons belong to a single material are listed, then all those belonging to the next material and so on. Since each switch of group or material takes a line of the file, and requires the name of the group or material, that saves a bit of space and should save a bit of processing. It also means that there should be fewer instances of each name, if for some reason you want to use search-and-replace in a text editor to change the names.

edited December 1969

OK, thanks. Any examples of where one might want to change the names? Is to something you'd do often when creating content, or crreating new textures for an item, for example?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Is it right to assume this is a method of automating what you can do with polygon group editor in DS?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Is it right to assume this is a method of automating what you can do with polygon group editor in DS?

No, the Polygon Group Editor controls which groups and materials (and DS regions) a polygon belongs to, but it doesn't control how that information is written to an OBJ file.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    OK, thanks. Any examples of where one might want to change the names? Is to something you'd do often when creating content, or crreating new textures for an item, for example?

Hard to say - I would edit the names in DS or in a modeller, but for some purposes that might not be suitable. There were problems, some time back, with disorganised group statements and either Poser itself or one of the utilities for Poser, and at one stage Hexagon was writing huge files because of the very inefficiently organised layout. I'm not sure what current issues this will address, though.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

No, the Polygon Group Editor controls which groups and materials (and DS regions) a polygon belongs to, but it doesn't control how that information is written to an OBJ file.
    Ah. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:

Hard to say - I would edit the names in DS or in a modeller, but for some purposes that might not be suitable. There were problems, some time back, with disorganised group statements and either Poser itself or one of the utilities for Poser, and at one stage Hexagon was writing huge files because of the very inefficiently organised layout. I'm not sure what current issues this will address, though.

OK. Still puzzled about where to use this but I guess I'll know the day I'll need it.

edited December 1969

I got it because I had created a few of my own props from a large number of primitive objects (cubes, spheres, plane, ect.) and I was hoping I can find the correct primitive better when I want to add an image to it.

edited December 1969

I got it because I had created a few of my own props from a large number of primitive objects (cubes, spheres, plane, ect.) and I was hoping I can find the correct primitive better when I want to add an image to it.

OK, thanks!

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

I bought this in hopes it would be a tool to either auto group (?) or provide a tool for redefining poly groups. NO Its not. Its also not optimizing the order of vertices declaration per group. It MERELY RESORTS the GROUPS so that the OBJ file is easier to edit or faster for a 3d program to parse. I am really suspect about any performance gains or any benefit of this product. The ZERO refund policy makes it warm and fuzzy. Also I see that the developer shlocked this app every where yet evidence of benignity or demonstrable use case where something that was slow/incompatible/broke is now fast/working/fixed. The only references to performance tests are on the timing of app processing itself - like I was impressed that it took almost no time to do almost nothing.

On the bright side, it pushed my cart over the $30 so I could take advantage of a coupon... so the glass in not half empty
    ...although the wallet is