Background paper in Bryce 7.1 Pro

FhaloFhalo Posts: 42
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi

Is it possible to add my own background paper in Bryce?

EG Two-point perspective graph paper?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Be better if I moved your query to the Bryce forum, as Brycers rarely venture far from home. :roll:

• FhaloFhalo Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

Fhalo said:
    Hi

Not to my knowledge. There are 9 presets and you can change the colour.

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Fhalo said:
    Hi

2-point perspective as a background? Do you want the perspective changing with your view? If so, that's not a background. You're looking for a co-ordinate system that changes with your view.

If you're looking for a 2-point perspective system for your camera's POV only (not the director), that NEVER changes, let me know and I'll show you something.

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

What I usually do is create a flat plane mesh and apply a texture to it. Then place that mesh just behind my other objects. Wha-la instant reusable custom backgrounds.

edited May 2012

Thanks

yes, what I'm looking for a a grid. For example, the third, whereby I can position objects in the correct possition so that I can create the correct affect.

Hope this help.

Oroboros, what do you suggest?

I'll try both ideas.

Post edited by Fhalo on
  • lyntslynts Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

well in maya i create a cube then then assing image to the face im not sure how you do it in bryce

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Fhalo said:
    what I'm looking for [is] a grid. For example, the third, whereby I can position objects in the correct possition so that I can create the correct affect.

Oh ok, then screw my idea then.

Bryce already has an internal grid and a serviceable alignment system. Each grid point is at 20.48 BU. Using the drop-down menu under the Alignment tool, you can snap to this invisible grid (see attachment).

If you want to make the grid visible... You can't :( However, you can create some 3D crosshairs and perhaps that might help in modeling your scene:

Create a pyramid (least polys). Snap it to the grid. It should now be at 0, 20.48, 0.
    Edit attributes...
    Position: -102.4, 0, -102.4
    Size 0.01, 5.12, 0.01. Tick.

Copy, paste, rotate 90° about X. DO NOT DESELECT. Copy, paste, rotate 90° about Y.
    Select all pyramids, change their family color to a light grey, then group them.

Edit > Multi-Replicate... Use these numbers:
    Number: 9
    Offset: 0, 20.48, 0
    Rotate: 0, 0, 0
    Size: 100, 100, 100. Tick.

You should now have a column of 10 cross hairs (the first of which is deselected), each at 20.48 BU above the other.

Select ALL the groups.
    Edit > Multi-replicate...
    Offset: 20.48, 0, 0
    Size: 100, 100, 100. Tick.

You should now have a '2D Grid', a 10 x 10 set of crosshairs (the first column of which is deselected). See if you can figure out what's coming...

Select ALL the groups.
    Edit > Multi-replicate...
    Offset: 0, 0, 20.48
    Size: 100, 100, 100. Tick

You should now have a full 3D grid, above the horizon, at 20.48 BU increments, centered about origin, you can use for positioning. Finally...

Select all groups.
    Edit attributes.... Check 'Hidden' and 'Locked'. This will stop you from inadvertently selecting the grid when modeling, and will hide the grid when you render out the scene.

Notes:
    • Use the least number of pyramids you need as possible. The more objects you have, the slower Bryce's response time is.

• Don't "fill the world" with a grid, for the same reason. Rather, use a small grid you can move from place to place as you work on a scene. If you use grouping and families intelligently, a grid like the one I've outlined is very portable.

• If moving your grid, make sure it's snapped in place before locking it down. It's center should be a multiple of 20.48.
    • Bryce's internal grid can't be changed, but there's nothing stopping you from creating a grid that has better meaning for you. For instance, follow the steps above for a 10 BU grid rather than a 20.48 grid, or a 100 BU grid, if that's more useful to you. You'll lose the advantage of the Snap to Grid option in the Alignment tool, but perhaps you don't need it. Experimenting with the other Alignment tools might serve you nicely, whatever sized grid you make.

snap.png
    284 x 226 - 21K
    edited December 1969

Great!

Thanks for this.

I'll try the above method on my next tutorial (A sci fi scene)

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Just a thought , maybe this is what you want.

Cheers
    GG

S_shot.gif
    223 x 385 - 54K