Mephistopolis Noir, the all-new comic-book shader for DAZ|Studio! IN THE STORE NOW! [Commercial]

Comments

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I sent a PM over a week ago I believe but I never got an email.... :S

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

I sent a PM over a week ago I believe but I never got an email.... :S

Oh dear! I thought I'd sent it out, but I must have gotten distracted browsing your DA gallery...

Just a minute, and I'll shoot you the file.

edited December 1969

Have you gotten the email?

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    thanks Eustace!

THIS was something I was quite excited to discover how to do! This would be perfect to then take into photoshop and hand colour. I love that I can create a black and white linedrawing! Or you could just play with the contrast etc in PS and bring it out a bit more.

This was just from a few minutes of fiddling, so with a bit more experimentation, I might be able to get the eyes to come up with a bit more.

Size 450 x 960

(please click for better quality)

What figure & outfit are those? If it's all Commercial Use stuff, I can count this as the first Official Entry!

So far I've had seven or eight entrants volunteer: ten days left, ladies and gentlemen!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    thanks Eustace!

THIS was something I was quite excited to discover how to do! This would be perfect to then take into photoshop and hand colour. I love that I can create a black and white linedrawing! Or you could just play with the contrast etc in PS and bring it out a bit more.

This was just from a few minutes of fiddling, so with a bit more experimentation, I might be able to get the eyes to come up with a bit more.

Size 450 x 960

(please click for better quality)

What figure & outfit are those? If it's all Commercial Use stuff, I can count this as the first Official Entry!

So far I've had seven or eight entrants volunteer: ten days left, ladies and gentlemen!

The skirt is from a Val3dart outfit in the daz store, the hair is Deeta hair by AprilYSH, so yes, both commercial outfit. The shirt was a freebie by Aerysoul, but it's only a tank top that I can easily replace with another V4 singlet/tank top from my runtime (although I'll check the readme on it in case it allows commercial use)

As to how I did it: I did save it as a scene so I could go back and check. I used the News-Herald on everything. I turned the dots off, and had the B&W/Sepia turned down to either 10% or 0% (i'll have to go in a check), and I was playing a bit with the outline threshold.

I'll bring up the scene later on, and make note of the settings. I'm pretty sure I actually had no textures at all on the figure and outfit too, I think.

edited December 1969

I also fiddled about and got these, which I really like. I would take them into photoshop and try and bring out the eyes a little more, cos I couldn't for the life of me get her eyes a bit darker, but overall I was quite happy with these. Different lights bring different effects too, so I was experimenting with the uberenvironment, and then simply a couple of spotlights. This shader has come the absolute CLOSEST I've ever seen to getting the b&w line drawing look, and it's wonderful!

You can see the slight differences the lights make in each of the 3 images.

PS I think V4's eyebrows fell off somewhere. *laughs*

blackwhitetest_UB.jpg
    450 x 961 - 100K
    blackwhitetest_lights.jpg
    450 x 961 - 100K
    blackwhitetest_02.jpg
    450 x 961 - 99K
    edited December 1969

I like 'em a lot!

edited December 1969

thank you! so do i! *laughs*
    btw, that shirt allows commercial use, so you can use that pic however you want. :D
    Now, back to playing and trying some comic book looks.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited June 2013

Does this mean my stuff doesn't qualify =(( :((

The textures and assets used in the renders all come from the Daz Store:

Supersuit (NightWatch, Fury, Titan)
    Supersuit Hero pack (NightWatch, Fury, Titan)
    Shadowcaster's Spell Ribbons (Fury)
    Noveau Vignette (NightWatch)
    HS PowerUp (Fury)
    Stalker Girl Guns for Genesis (Justice and Vengeance)
    Stalker Girl Pants for Genesis (Justice and Vengeance)
    Stalker Girl Boots for Genesis (Justice and Vengeance)
    Bad Guy for Genesis (Vengeance's top) (Justice and Vengeance)
    Fire and Smoke for Daz Studio (Muzzle flash) (Justice and Vengeance)
    Colonel Chaos (Justice and Vengeance)
    Mac 10 Submachine Gun (Justice and Vengeance)
    Parkside Tube Station (Justice and Vengeance)
    Vandalized Tube Station (Justice and Vengeance)
    Urban Sprawl 2 (Titan)
    Flyer Jacket for M4 and V4 (Romance Comics)
    Aussie Girl (Romance Comics)
    Bridge of Cheirocrates (Romance Comics)
    Cheirocrates (Romance Comics)

I thought they'd be covered by the Daz EULA:

E. TERMS OF USE. User may (i) access, use, copy and modify the Content in the creation and presentation of animations and renderings, and (ii) incorporate two dimensional images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects) derived from the Content in other works and publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense such combined works; provided that User may not in any case: (a) separately publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any Content or any part thereof; or (b) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense renderings, animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any Content, or any part thereof, or any substantially similar version of the Content can be separately exported, or extracted into any re-distributable form or format. Subject to the foregoing limitations, and the rights, if any, of third parties in or to the objects represented by the Content, User may copy, distribute, and/or sell User’s animations and 2-D renderings derived from the Content. All other rights with respect to the Content and their use are reserved by DAZ and its PAs.

</3</q>

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited June 2013

jakiblue said:
    As to how I did it: I did save it as a scene so I could go back and check. I used the News-Herald on everything. I turned the dots off, and had the B&W/Sepia turned down to either 10% or 0% (i'll have to go in a check), and I was playing a bit with the outline threshold.

I'll bring up the scene later on, and make note of the settings. I'm pretty sure I actually had no textures at all on the figure and outfit too, I think.

Thank you so much for the tip, jakiblue =) I love the line drawing effect :D

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited June 2013

Does this mean my stuff doesn't qualify =(( :((

They can qualify if you like: it was just unclear if these were intended simply as practice renders or not.

I'm withdrawing the Maximum Size requirement: on consideration, 500 pixels is rather small so I am lifting the size restrictions.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

They can qualify if you like: it was just unclear if these were intended simply as practice renders or not.

I'm withdrawing the Maximum Size requirement: on consideration, 500 pixels is rather small so I am lifting the size restrictions.

Yay! Of course I do *happy dance* My fault for calling them test renders (which they were since I'm a 3Delight noob =P XD )

I'll tweak the ones that need fixing and email the lot when I'm done =)

edited December 1969

Sent 4 over :D

edited December 1969

Got 'em, banditcameraman! Thanks!

Just a warning: if you do not sign your work, a signature will be applied on your behalf. So if you want anything special besides "Courtesy of Yourself" or "© 2013, by Yourself in DAZ|Studio 3.1", go ahead and put it in before you send it. Thanks!

edited December 1969

do you want us to email you our images? Sorry, I thought we were just posting them here. :D

edited December 1969

Got 'em, banditcameraman! Thanks!

Just a warning: if you do not sign your work, a signature will be applied on your behalf. So if you want anything special besides "Courtesy of Yourself" or "© 2013, by Yourself in DAZ|Studio 3.1", go ahead and put it in before you send it. Thanks!

Ack! Will apply a signature and resend it =P XD

edited June 2013

jakiblue said:
    do you want us to email you our images? Sorry, I thought we were just posting them here. :D
    Either one is fine.

That's all right. As long as credit can be given where it's due. Might even be easier, for those who've already submitted unsigned entries, to make a GIF or PNG signature and just post it here: I'll stick it on your pictures for you if you'd like. No skin off my back.
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Either one is fine.

That's all right. As long as credit can be given where it's due. Might even be easier, for those who've already submitted unsigned entries, to make a GIF or PNG signature and just post it here: I'll stick it on your pictures for you if you'd like. No skin off my back.

Sent you a PM here =)

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Eustace,
    This post and the following 2 are my entries. They are all 1000 pixs wide and I have compressed them to meet the requirements of the forum. If you decide to use any of them then I can e-mail you the less compressed file version. I did two sets where the scene is the same but I used each of the presets on them. I thought it would be kind of neat to show people what each of the main presets do to the same scene. My idea would be to take the two images and make an image showing them side by side for comparison. I used the default settings except for around the eyes of the characters. For those areas I changed the sepia color to black and upped the dots to 120. I just thought the default settings did not get enough detail in the final render. I just used the work light in DAZ no other lights. I have also listed the products that I used in case you want to refer to them. Hope this is enough info. All of the products are allowed for commercial use. Don't use or use anyway you want to, Eustace. Good luck!

Joker M3 Enbi - Evening Suit by Hisayan.
    Joker Kurt Hair by DAZ 3D Neftis3D.
    Joker City by adamthwaites.
    Joker ep-card by aemi1970.
    Joker M3 Troubled Clown Morph and Texture by Joequick.
    M3 Michael 3.0 Base by DAZ 3D.

Joker-News.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 475K
    edited December 1969

This is the next set:

Contemplation 19th Century Accessory Pack for Michael 3.0 by DAZ 3D Lourdes.
    Contemplation 19th Century Suit Pack for Michael 3.0 by DAZ 3D Lourdes.
    Contemplation Aredhel (Elf) Hair by 3D Universe.
    Contemplation Crypta Sepultus by DAZ 3D Jack Tomalin.
    Contemplation MegaGoth: Classic Goth by Sparky.

Contemplation-20th.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 478K
    Comtemplation-News.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 474K
    edited December 1969

The last set:

Prince Flock 3D Model by Forester.
    Prince Millennium Horse Bundle by DAZ 3D.
    Prince M3 Normans Outfit by Lourdes Mercado.
    Prince Mongloids Nitro Pony Armor 1 by Mongloid.
    Prince Sky dome by glaseye.
    Prince Downy Oak by Xfrog. 2nd row 3 column

Prince-News.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 470K
    Prince-20th.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 499K
    edited December 1969

The Joker looks good, but I'll have to call it NAE (Commercial properties). The others are entered. Thanks!

edited December 1969

The Joker looks good, but I'll have to call it NAE (Commercial properties). The others are entered. Thanks!

Your welcome Eustace.

edited June 2013

Great renders, jakiblue and Dollygirl! =)

@Eustace at the risk of sounding like a complete n00b, what's NAE =P XD

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

oooooooo Dollygirl, they look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited December 1969

Eustace, I'm confusing myself (always happens). Which ones of mine do you consider official entries? The black and white line ones? Or the first ones, with the girl in the superhero suit?

I don't know where I am!!!

*laughs*

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited June 2013

Finally got a chance to play some more. :)
    News-Herald on Sci-Fi Corridor and 20th Century on G2F and Anime Sci-Fi Outfit.

G2FSciFiNews20th.jpg
    1000 x 1333 - 2M
    Post edited by SassyWench on
    edited December 1969

@banditcameraman "NAE" is short for "Not An Entry". And thank you for the compliment.

Thanks jakiblue. I am afraid you might have to wait until Monday for an answer to your question. Eustace does not frequent the forums on Sunday but he will be back on Monday.

edited June 2013

D'oh! You're very welcome and thanks for explaining it Dollygirl XD

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Eustace, I'm confusing myself (always happens). Which ones of mine do you consider official entries? The black and white line ones? Or the first ones, with the girl in the superhero suit?

I don't know where I am!!!

*laughs*

Either or both: let's see the superhero without that railing across the knees.... ;)
This discussion has been closed.