Help needed with textures of Genesis from DS4.6 to Bryce 7.1

launoklaunok Posts: 782
edited June 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Dear all,

I have first posted my problem at Daz Studio discussion forum but after no responses I have decided to repost here since the problem is more related to Bryce than DS itself. Well, I hope someone will be able to advice me on why Genesis textures are not showing up correctly in Bryce this time as previously it worked! Actually I did not have the problem when exporting from DS4.5 as you will see in the render with text on. Funny thing, Genesis textures do export correctly when I open the character by itself in Bryce as per image shown below. But the problem occurs when I copy and pasted it to the full scene (same method which I have used before). The other characters on the full scene was done from exporting from DS4.5 - Genesis lady pushing pram, Genesis male driving the 1951 Cruiser Trike and the Kids 4 boy in front. You will notice that all the textures worked perfectly then!!

But recently I have installed DS4.6 and wanted to finish the render to add a driver to the Dixie car. Previously I had added 2D PaintShopPro tubes on it as I was awaiting Wilmap's Roaring 20s clothing to use in the scene. After done everything yesterday as previously, rendering Genesis female body parts is white-grey, as well as the hair. It is the very same hair I have used on the lady pushing the pram !!

I just want to add here that I had took off all the characters and parts of the trike as Bryce crashes with too much objects in the scene. Then I am planning to cut-out the final part with Dixie car and pasted back to scene with rest of characters.

I have attached the images exporting from DazStudio through to Bryce7. Maybe someone can give me advice!?

Kind regards,

Laura

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Please don't think I'm being cheeky here, but is there any reason why you could not have both DS4.5 and DS4.6 installed at the same time and use 4.5 to export to Bryce? As yet, due to lack of time and the general low level fear of updating software that always haunts me, I've not updated to 4.5 for exactly the reason that I anticipated it would break the DS Bridge. For now then, if 4.5 works and 4.6 is broken, the problem is DS Bridge, which can only be described as temperamental at best and the only choice, as far as I can think, is to keep a version around that works until DAZ 3D see fit to fix the bugs.

• launoklaunok Posts: 782
    edited December 1969

Please don't think I'm being cheeky here, but is there any reason why you could not have both DS4.5 and DS4.6 installed at the same time and use 4.5 to export to Bryce? As yet, due to lack of time and the general low level fear of updating software that always haunts me, I've not updated to 4.5 for exactly the reason that I anticipated it would break the DS Bridge. For now then, if 4.5 works and 4.6 is broken, the problem is DS Bridge, which can only be described as temperamental at best and the only choice, as far as I can think, is to keep a version around that works until DAZ 3D see fit to fix the bugs.

Hi David,

Daz Studio is always giving me messages of conflictions can occur when trying to install another version on the same pc and that it is rather better to uninstall the older one 1st and then install the newer version. I am only learning and have little knowledge of these.

But what is odd is that the Genesis character with all textures imported greatly from DS4.6 to Bryce as you will see in my 2nd image where Genesis is alone in the scene. It was when I copied and pasted the whole object from the 1st Bryce scene into 2nd Bryce scene when this actually has happened. But maybe it is the bridge thing you refers too. I just have to play around with other textures in DS and see if it will happen with that too. The clothing worked, but body parts not. Just have to try and see!

edited December 1969

Hmn... well it is true that even in 4.5 things were not entirely simple when it came to textures over the DS bridge. It is possible, if you've not seen them the first couple of video's in this play list might help you. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL790l24c49DROE86jFAMH3vKKe7-L6hgZ

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

David Laura is right inasmuch as you can't have multiple copies of DS installed on the same computer., whether it is DS4 , DS4.5 or DS4.6

You can have DS 3 and DS 4+ but not two iterations of DS4, in any flavour, nless one is 32bit and one is 64bit.

Even though I don't use it I have picked up a few little nuggets of info in order to try help people.

I couldn't help Laura though, and I am about the only one on the team who frequent the NU forum who uses Bryce regularly.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    David Laura is right inasmuch as you can't have multiple copies of DS installed on the same computer., whether it is DS4 , DS4.5 or DS4.6

You can have DS 3 and DS 4+ but not two iterations of DS4, in any flavour, nless one is 32bit and one is 64bit.

Even though I don't use it I have picked up a few little nuggets of info in order to try help people.

I couldn't help Laura though, and I am about the only one on the team who frequent the NU forum who uses Bryce regularly.

So that's a word of warning for us then. Don't upgrade to 4.6 if you wan't the bridge to work as it did in 4.5. Forewarned is forearmed.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited June 2013

chohole said:

So that's a word of warning for us then. Don't upgrade to 4.6 if you wan't the bridge to work as it did in 4.5. Forewarned is forearmed.

Well either you or I misunderstood something because what I got from the things said so far is the bridge worked fine and the problem didn't crop up until she took a correctly textured figure imported via 4.6 and tried to copy and paste it. Something she was previously able to do when importing figures via 4.5.

My guess is that the issue is more related to Bryce's memory limitations because with multiple Genesis figures as well as everything else in the scene that scene has to be near Bryce's limits. If so then a simple fix could be to make Bryce Large Address Aware using the LAA tool (found here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 ) if you haven't done so already. This will increase the memory Bryce can work with from 2GB's to approximately 3.5GB's

Since the figure does import into a blank scene then I'm at a loss for what the problem besides memory limitations, might be since you did successfully import if from 4.6 into Bryce. That says there is no issue with the figure or with 4.6 and the bridge.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Well either you or I misunderstood something because what I got from the things said so far is the bridge worked fine and the problem didn't crop up until she took a correctly textured figure imported via 4.6 and tried to copy and paste it. Something she was previously able to do when importing figures via 4.5.

My guess is that the issue is more related to Bryce's memory limitations because with multiple Genesis figures as well as everything else in the scene that scene has to be near Bryce's limits. If so then a simple fix could be to make Bryce Large Address Aware using the LAA tool (found here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 ) if you haven't done so already. This will increase the memory Bryce can work with from 2GB's to approximately 3.5GB's

Since the figure does import into a blank scene then I'm at a loss for what the problem besides memory limitations, might be since you did successfully import if from 4.6 into Bryce. That says there is no issue with the figure or with 4.6 and the bridge.

That's a good point!

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - large address aware - a short video by David Brinnen

Also it occurred to me there might be some naming conflict between the individual image textures? Well not so much naming as the user sees them, but as they are tagged within Bryce. So that one texture is overwriting another that is already in use?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@launok, I'm not sure I'm quite clear on what you are doing when the textures go away. Can you clarify? Are they lost during the transfer across the bridge from DAZ Studio to Bryce, or during a Bryce File > "Import Object" of the figure exported in DAZ Studio, or something else?
    Or were you saying that if you transfer just the figure across the bridge it works but if you transfer your entire DAZ Scene across the bridge you loose the materials? If so, try sending just one figure at a time instead of all at once. If it starts failing after sending a few figures, try again with a save/exit/reload between each use of the bridge.

I tried sending a random figure, clothing, and hair across the Bridge from DS to Bryce. The eyelashes are screwed up (and I think there might be a workaround posted somewhere to fix that, I'll have to go digging), but other than that it seemed to work.
    Do you know which hair that is, in case I have it already to test with?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

It doesn't really look like this, but just in case, note that there is a bug whereby if you have several objects with multiple materials grouped together, and you accidentally select the group and go into the Materials Lab, it will pick one of the materials and try to apply it to the entire group if you hit the green checkmark, even if you don't make any changes of any kind. (if you just cancel out you are ok.) If you have a group for your figure, hair and clothing that is named similarly to just the figure, it would be easy to do this by accident. That could give the appearance of having lost a texture if the changed texture mapping happens to be greyish in the visible part. In this screenshot you can tell it's just messed up rather than missing, but under different circumstances it might be less obvious.

screenshot,_before_and_after_group_material.png
    1353 x 780 - 678K
    edited December 1969

@launok, I'm not sure I'm quite clear on what you are doing when the textures go away. Can you clarify? Are they lost during the transfer across the bridge from DAZ Studio to Bryce, or during a Bryce File > "Import Object" of the figure exported in DAZ Studio, or something else?
    Or were you saying that if you transfer just the figure across the bridge it works but if you transfer your entire DAZ Scene across the bridge you loose the materials? If so, try sending just one figure at a time instead of all at once. If it starts failing after sending a few figures, try again with a save/exit/reload between each use of the bridge.

I tried sending a random figure, clothing, and hair across the Bridge from DS to Bryce. The eyelashes are screwed up (and I think there might be a workaround posted somewhere to fix that, I'll have to go digging), but other than that it seemed to work.
    Do you know which hair that is, in case I have it already to test with?

Hi Sean,

I am quite a newbie with these things. If you look at my 2nd image Genesis turned out beautifully in Bryce, textures and all, almost the same as the original in Daz Studio (1st image). This, in my opinion, shows that the bridge worked as should be. Also in the 1st image I have included the DS settings (left side on image) of how I have done it before exporting as an .obj. I have never changed these settings as I don't know much about these. I have simply used the settings as is, there is an automatic checked part for Bryce too, so I simply didn't bother to play with these. So not sure if this is correct or not. All I have exported was only Genesis with clothing/hat/hair already parented in DS. I am not sure if I have handled this correctly in Daz Studio, but I have actually clicked on the full figure, clicked on export as .obj in far as I can remember which brought up the menu and saved it to my documents folder. From there I have opened Bryce and imported the saved .obj from my documents, as seen in 2nd image which looks fine!

Bryce is actually quite tricky in the sense that you can't work with 2 scenes opened at the same time unless I am doing it wrongly !??? I copied the "red" wire-frame object (Genesis), then opened the scene where it must be transferred. But always when I open a 2nd scene, the 1st scene kind of closes as it always asked if I want to save my scene before closing (is this how it works when using 2 scenes?). Then the 2nd scene appears after a while and only when its fully loaded, I past the object.

I have to admit that I have taught myself everything and if this is the wrong way of copying/pasting, please tell me!!

The fact that Genesis did opened up fully textured 1st time in Bryce tells me that the problem may be in between the way I have transferred it between the 2 scenes. I also have asked this previously at DS forums but when no-one responded to the DS/Bryce problem I came over here instead as it is more Bryce related, I think.

But the only way I can go with this is by trial and error and with some help. There was simple issues I had when first started with Bryce and the forums helped me quite a lot which I am very grateful for! :) SMILE

Laura

edited June 2013

chohole said:

Thank you for your response and yes you understood my problem correctly that problem is Bryce related. Thank you for the link to the LAA tool which I weren't aware off. Many times Bryce crashes when adding more objects to a full scene. I will give this tool a go and hopefully it can save me much frustrations! :) SMILE

EDIT: Can't use the LAA tool currently as I have way too little ram, only 1GB ram but am planning to upgrade later to 3GB+ as this is also why I have lots of problems when working with graphics ... computer very slow indeed!

Laura

Post edited by launok on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

To be honest, if you only have Igb of ram onboard I am very surprised that you get either DS 4.6 or Bryce 7 working at all.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

launok said:
    But always when I open a 2nd scene, the 1st scene kind of closes as it always asked if I want to save my scene before closing (is this how it works when using 2 scenes?). Then the 2nd scene appears after a while and only when its fully loaded, I past the object.

What you can do is open a new instance of Bryce. However, copy-paste from one instance to the other doesn't work. You can save the object in the object library and access it via that library from the second instance. You can also work with several Bryce instances (provided your computer has enough memory) and save each scene with a separate name and finally merge all scenes into one.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    To be honest, if you only have Igb of ram onboard I am very surprised that you get either DS 4.6 or Bryce 7 working at all.

Chohole, thank you also for your input regarding DS in your previous message! Oh dear, I am at times quite frustrated but the thing is I am a pensioner with very little income and just going on trying to do art the best way I can as it's a passion. But this slow pc is really now getting to me and I desperately needs to get it upgraded before it's too late or wait for a BIG sale. But there is some light in the tunnel too, I am actually waiting for my daughter's much better and quite faster computer as my son-in-law is looking for her for a newer model! So, time awaits!!! :) SMILE

edited June 2013

Horo said:
    launok said:
    But always when I open a 2nd scene, the 1st scene kind of closes as it always asked if I want to save my scene before closing (is this how it works when using 2 scenes?). Then the 2nd scene appears after a while and only when its fully loaded, I past the object.

What you can do is open a new instance of Bryce. However, copy-paste from one instance to the other doesn't work. You can save the object in the object library and access it via that library from the second instance. You can also work with several Bryce instances (provided your computer has enough memory) and save each scene with a separate name and finally merge all scenes into one.

Thank you Horo, but as Chohole stated about ram, I must get this pc upgraded fast as it's way too slow for graphics as things is standing now regarding ram and memory, etc. But I will try that out also when I have all upgraded. Every bit of help is much appreciated and I am learning a whole lot via the forums!

Post edited by launok on