QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Fabulous Prizes! WIP Thread:

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

VOTING for This challenge now Open! in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25907/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa! What a great showing for last month's Carrara Challenge.! Thanks you so much everyone for the interest!

And so we have our second challenge:

QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS

PRIMARY AIM: to produce a Quirky , Humorous and/or Action Packed Render in Carrara.

In this Challenge You can use:

1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) '

2) ONE item of non "humanoid" CONTENT can appear in your render.

3) ANYTHING you made yourself, in any quantity. You can do ANYTHING to whatever you make yourself.

CONTENT:

1) The CONTENT element is optional.

2) It CANNOT be any figure meant to represent a human being, or human like creature.

You can, however, use any figure's skeleton to rig something you find in the Carrara Objects folder.

3) Content that has Multi Element Objects like an Aircraft Carrier with ten different Kinds of Lifeboats, an entire Medieval Town., a Blacksmith's with an entire array of furniture and tools etc should be avoided.

I'll leave it up to the individual artist to make a distinction.

4) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene - (optical reflections aside)

5) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder.

6) Anything you made yourself is NOT content.

THE CARRARA OBJECTS

If you look in the HELP>OBJECT CATALOGUE drop down menu in the top bar of your Carrara, will find a link to a PDF that outlines all the Objects that come with Carrara. In your browser you will find them under Objects (Aircraft to Writer)

They are mostly spline objects and perhaps some Primitives. None of them seem to have UV co-ords. They come with colours but no textures.

You can do anything you like with these Objects that you like. The main thing is that the Carrara Object(s) is the starting point of your endeavors.

POSTWORK?

Yes? No? Postwork is for the artist to decide. The aim is to present your best work for public display, so if you feel that it is necessary or not, it's your call.

The other AIM of this Challenge is:

1) To encourage a sense of community.

2) To entice people out of the wood work.

3) To learn from ourselves and others.

4) To explore different parts of Carrara you might not have visited. For example rigging, texturing even the Carrara three d paint brush.

PRIZES:

DIMENSIONTHEORY

I'm proud to announce that, along with DAZ's kind sponsorship, well known Carrarrite DimensionTheory will be generously sponsoring this month's challenge.

Yippee !!! smiley times ten here

So in addition to DAZ' coupons outlined below we have DimensionTheory's magnificent:

1st Place: Monterey HDRIs for first place: http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-monterey

2nd Place: Cloud Nine Atmospheric Clouds: http://www.daz3d.com/cloud-nine-atmospheric-clouds-for-carrara

3rd Place: Skies of Terra Volume One : http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-terra-volume-one

These are all superb pieces of engineering. If you know DimensionTheory's attention to detail and his artistry you'll realise what wonderful prizes these are.

Thank you DimensionTheory!!

You can see DimensionTheory's store here: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory

You'll find he has 20 rip roaring products for Carrara.

DAZ

And once again DAZ has been kind enough to sponsor us. Thankyou Britney!
DAZ is donating:

Ist Place: a $50 coupon
2nd Place will win a $30 coupon
3rd Place wins a $15 coupon
In addition the Honorable Mention will receive a $5 coupon code.

DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!

Please note that the coupons are for DAZ3D items.

ENTRIES

Each Artist can enter up to two Renders.

Please specify what content you used (if any) and the Carrara Objects you used.

Tell us how you made it and feel free to drop any hints on your working methods!

You can also tell us whether it is meant to be Quirky, Humorous or Fast and Furious if you like.

I'll open up an Entries Thread closer to the time.

ENDS 27th July at 12 MIDNIGHT Daz Utah Time (link at bottom)

Any questions, queries or anything Ieft out please ask in this thread :)

Thank you again for your interest and help.! Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

The winner gets to host next month's challenge. I'd also like to suggest that the Host of one Month's challenge CANNOT host the next month;s challenge :) (smiley button)

LINKS of INTEREST

DimensionTheory's store: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory

Previous Sponsor Dartanbeck's store: http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dartanbeck&x=0&y=0

DAZ Time UTAH: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-UT.aspx

EDITS: changed rules to allow anything you made yourself to be included. Thank you for the feedback!
Edited 3rd July for clarity.

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

ENDS 27th June at 12 MIDNIGHT Daz Utah Time (link at bottom)

That's tomorrow!
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

ENDS 27th June at 12 MIDNIGHT Daz Utah Time (link at bottom)

That's tomorrow!

Ha ha, well I've ,made my entry. I just wanted to bse sure I won :)
    But seriously, I was just fixing that up when you picked it up.
    Gah, I gotta be quick :)

it now reads 27th JULY at Midnight!

:)

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

I'd also like to suggest that the Host of one Month's challenge CANNOT host the next month;s challenge :) (smiley button)

Oh, no. I like it just the way it is. :) All the rest of us are going to make sure our images are not quite as good as yours, so you will be hosting the next dozen or so challenges.

That's what you get for doing such a good job on the first one (hosting and artistically). :)

edited December 1969

OK, one question. What about an airplane with added bits like bombs and such? Does that count as 'one' content item?

Say, yes.

edited December 1969

OK, one question. What about an airplane with added bits like bombs and such? Does that count as 'one' content item?

Say, yes.

Oh you twist my arm :) "Yes"!

I think it is up to the individual artist to decide. I think that 'yes" a plane that comes with bombs is one item. It is a fine line, the definition is hazy, but that is the nature of the beast.

I guess you could compare it to a pushbike which has a detachable seat (could be uncomfortable) and a dog model that comes with a separate figure for teeth :)

Congrats on doing so well in the last challenge. You had seven votes for a while, I don't know what happened!

Ah, re the hosting next challenge, I am working on a render with 100 percent ambient light in the Scene Parameters and 90 percent high;lights on all my non metal textures - should be a winner :) :0

edited December 1969

Oh there are probably bombs in the Objects Folder, there is everything, hamburgers grapes, an artist palette, maybe even a kitchen sink.
    There's a meatball figure too .....
    A horse a camel, a giraffe....
    But no Cow :
    For the cow could just put horns and a little lipstick on the camel I guess .... you don't want to get an ugly one, as the joke goes

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited December 1969

If I am understanding correctly, we can only use one object?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited June 2013

one non-carrara object
    limitless Carrara ones

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I am an idiot lol. I should really reread stuff a few times, especially in these wee hours of the morning :D

edited June 2013

TheKD said:
    Yeah, I am an idiot lol. I should really reread stuff a few times, especially in these wee hours of the morning :D

Ah no, I am famous for explaining things in the most circumspect way possible.... Sorry about that :)

Here's two examples of stuff I found in the Carrara Objects Folder.
    Objects used: Pennyfarthing, Motmouse and Mannequin,

One is tongue and cheek for "Fast and Furious"
    The other one is "Quirky"

The other is an example of using M4's skeleton to "bone" the Mannequin.
    It took about three minutes and worked much better than I expected!!

threemanequins.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 273K
    Doc3.jpg
    885 x 864 - 220K
    Doc3_Depth.jpg
    885 x 864 - 59K
    Bike1.jpg
    1033 x 893 - 71K
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited June 2013

head wax said:
    ...I am famous for explaining things in the most circumspect way possible.... Sorry about that :).

...CONTENT:

a COW

I trimmed the unnecessary info from your rules list!

That's all anybody needs to know.

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ...I am famous for explaining things in the most circumspect way possible.... Sorry about that :).

...CONTENT:

a COW

I trimmed the unnecessary info from your rules list!

That's all anybody needs to know.

Ha ha :) Yes! The o nly treason there is content in this is because I could not find a COW in the objects browser :) (insert wink here)

edited December 1969

Just as a demonstration of how easy it is to rig mesh objects in Carrara by stealing bones. It saves a lot of work setting constraints etc.
    The is DOG from the Carrara>objects folder (Mesh Models section) wearing Daz Millenium Dog's Bones.
    If you don't know how to do this please ask. Render is toonpro plus a little depth.

DogFromMeshFolder.jpg
    2000 x 1162 - 184K
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, I don't have a mimic version of 'mater.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Just as a demonstration of how easy it is to rig mesh objects in Carrara by stealing bones. It saves a lot of work setting constraints etc.
    The is DOG from the Carrara>objects folder (Mesh Models section) wearing Daz Millenium Dog's Bones.
    If you don't know how to do this please ask. Render is toonpro plus a little depth.

OK, I know it's probably in a tutorial somewhere, but I can' find it. How do you transfer a premade skeleton into a new figure?

It's time for show and tell.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited June 2013

head wax said:
    RESTRICTIONS: You can use:

1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) '

2) ONE item of non "humanoid" CONTENT.

CONTENT:
    5) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene.
    6) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder. It could be something that you made, purchased or received as a freebie.

Andrew,

I'm having a hard time understanding the restrictions.

First - Does the above mean that the image can contain as many items from the "Objects" browser tab as I wish to use? (no limit)

Second - The "Content Definition" above seems to state that "content" is essentially anything else in the scene, whether purchased or created from scratch. And it can be used only once. So for example, if I wanted to use one or more of the vehicles from the Objects tab, I would be prohibited from building a street scene for them to occupy since it would need to consist of many different hand modeled pieces of "content", but I am allowed only one piece of "content".

THE CARRARA OBJECTS
    If you look in the HELP>OBJECT CATALOGUE drop down menu in the top bar of your Carrara, will find a link to a PDF that outlines all the Objects that come with Carrara.

This menu item doesn't seem to exist in my version of Carrara (Macintosh). Is there another way to access this PDF?

Post edited by de3an on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

"Content" generally is shorthand around here for DAZ Studio/Poser style pre-made figures, characters, or props. That's why the distinction for things from Carrara's Object Browser and it's Content Browser.

I take the rules to mean that you can use one pre-made Studio/Poser non-human figure, character, or prop. I see no restriction on using objects you created yourself, rigged or otherwise.

edited December 1969

de3an said:

This menu item doesn't seem to exist in my version of Carrara (Macintosh). Is there another way to access this PDF?

If you dig around in your Carrara installation folder, I believe it's in either Docs or Help... and the pdf is called Content Catalogue, I believe.
    edited December 1969

So, as an example of some of the stuff found in the Objects Browser, here's a very old image I did in Carrara 5. The model is Carlsbad located under Landmarks. I reshaded it using photos I snapped of cave rocks and features from Cave of the Mounds in southwest Wisconsin.

Cave03.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 363K
    Picture_1.png
    1007 x 172 - 71K
    edited December 1969

"Content" generally is shorthand around here for DAZ Studio/Poser style pre-made figures, characters, or props. That's why the distinction for things from Carrara's Object Browser and it's Content Browser.

I take the rules to mean that you can use one pre-made Studio/Poser non-human figure, character, or prop. I see no restriction on using objects you created yourself, rigged or otherwise.

Well, I hope you're right. But he did define Content as:

6) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder. It could be something that you made, purchased or received as a freebie.

Such a broad definition describes everything that did not originate in the Carrara Objects folder.

I'm sure Andrew will clear it up. It's still early in the AM "down under". :-)

edited June 2013

de3an said:

If you dig around in your Carrara installation folder, I believe it's in either Docs or Help... and the pdf is called Content Catalogue, I believe.

Thanks.
    DAZ seems to have removed it from all versions of Carrara 8. (at least on the Macintosh side). I had to go back to my Carrara 7 installation to find it.

Post edited by de3an on
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Well, I hope you're right. But he did define Content as:

Such a broad definition describes everything that did not originate in the Carrara Objects folder.

I'm sure Andrew will clear it up. It's still early in the AM "down under". :-)

Jeez, if what I make in Carrara is excluded, I'm out. Some of the stuff in the Objects Browser is okay, and some is pretty awful. I have an idea for a couple of scenes using objects from the browser, but I assumed I could flesh them out with my own Carrara made stuff.

edited December 1969

Hmmm, I took it to mean stuff you made in other programs, but perhaps I am mistaken. It's a moot point for me though, I am going to attempt an entry using nothing but carrara objects lol. Gonna have to tweak the hell out of them though.

I would also like to echo booksbydavid's request about the skele transfer, that looks fascinating lol.

edited June 2013

Andrew,

I’m having a hard time understanding the restrictions.

First - Does the above mean that the image can contain as many items from the “Objects” browser tab as I wish to use? (no limit)

Second - The “Content Definition” above seems to state that “content” is essentially anything else in the scene, whether purchased or created from scratch. And it can be used only once. So for example, if I wanted to use one or more of the vehicles from the Objects tab, I would be prohibited from building a street scene for them to occupy since it would need to consist of many different hand modeled pieces of “content”, but I am allowed only one piece of “content”.

de3an and evil

I'm very sorry to be so obtuse. The idea is to make a level playing field so that everyone who wants to can participate. I realise now that I have made it too level! I will change the rules so that you can use as much of your own work as you like!

To be honest, Bligh's comment on our last challenge which said something like "it will turn into just another Daz doll fest," or similar, stung a little! So I don't personally have anything against Mike4 or Viki, but I thought that was the easiest way to make the r enders we get here stand out, by excluding a lot of people's "normal" fall back figures.

but I went too far in my exclusions, apologies!
    So I will tweak the r ules a little.
    Thankyou for the feedback!

Evil, that is a great render!!!!!!

Booksbydavid and TheKd,

Oh the stealing bones is nothing complicated. Dazdog is still there, just hidden. It's like I have conformed the DOG's mesh to it.
    I'll get back at lunch time and go into details but you will already know them.
    Wendy steals bones all the time I believe?

Dartanbeck, thanks for explaining about the PDF

edited June 2013

Thanks for the feedback, here are the rules tweaked. (smiley here)
    Any other feedback of course is welcome!

RESTRICTIONS: You can use:

1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) ‘

2) ONE item of non “humanoid” CONTENT.

3) ANYTHING you made yourself, in any quantity.

CONTENT:

1) The CONTENT element is optional.

2) It could be a Pig, a Goat, a COW, a Biplane, a Wigwam, A planet.

3) It can’t be Vicki, Michael Alyson or any other figure meant to represent a human being, or human like creature. You can, however, use their bone structure to rig something you find in the Carrara Objects folder.

4) Content that has Multi Element Objects like an Aircraft Carrier with ten different Kinds of Lifeboats, an entire Medieval Town., a Blacksmith’s with an entire array of furniture and tools etc should be avoided. However, an aeroplane with bombs, a dog with separate teeth and a collar, or a pushbike with separate seat, wheels, pedals etc would be acceptable.

I’ll leave it up to the individual artist to make a distinction.

5) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene - (optical reflections aside)

6) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder. It could be something that you purchased or received as a freebie. Anything you made yourself is NOT content.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Hmmm, I don't have a mimic version of 'mater.

sorry Manstan, not sure what you mean?

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Thanks for the feedback, here are the rules tweaked. (smiley here)
    Any other feedback of course is welcome!

Thanks Andrew!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

line up daz figure's pose to object's limbs
    hold shift
    select Daz figure's hip
    go to animation
    attach skeleton
    untick daz figure's visibility

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

The rhino in disguise (morphed and painted) as a cow. The rhino came from the content browser. The udder is a torus with a spiky modifier.

rhino_cow.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    edited December 1969

line up daz figure's pose to object's limbs
    hold shift
    select Daz figure's hip
    go to animation
    attach skeleton
    untick daz figure's visibility
    Thank you, Wendy (I'd put a smile here - but they're broken!)
    diomede64, Nice Cow!