Daily Freebie Incentive to purchase V6... Yes I have a question

Comments

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Jabba101 said:
    aye aye, still a full house for me (already got them all so far)

Do I get a fanboi badge if it turns out I already have all the freebies? LOL

Damn, you beat me, I've had all but one ;)

Same here, had all but one.... I didn't have light set #1 (though I had #2). Loading dock and the subway are at least better freebies for people who don't have them... the furniture and the horse gear were very unfortunate, though the superhero training takes the cake. I think it would make any list for top 5 most random freebies DAZ has ever put out, and now they've done it twice.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I'm happy enough about Gen 2/V6, and the daily freebies have included several I'm definitely pleased to get (the lights and the locations), but including recent freebies in with the freebies is just beyond belief. I expected there would likely be several items I already had, I wouldn't have been upset by that, but picking recent freebies that a large proportion of purchasers would already have, that's little short of deliberate exploitation of our gullibility.

So far I make it:
    The Living Room Collection (the coffee tables): Weekly freebie November 2012
    Superhero Training Gear: Oct 2011 Weekly freebie
    Summertime Grill: July 2012 Weekly Freebie
    Modern Bed 1: March 2013 PC Freebie

They're all items I'm happy to have in my collection (okay, I'm a bit meh on the Superhero stuff, but if the X-Men's danger room is your thing...), but they're already in mine, and a lot of V6 purchaser's collections, and DAZ knew that. I wouldn't mind the freebies including sub-$10 items, in fact I pretty much expected that most would be, but not ones that have been freebies within the last year, and free within the last 3 months just takes the biscuit!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited June 2013

SimonJM said:
    Jabba101 said:
    aye aye, still a full house for me (already got them all so far)

Do I get a fanboi badge if it turns out I already have all the freebies? LOL

Damn, you beat me, I've had all but one ;)

Same here, had all but one.... I didn't have light set #1 (though I had #2). Loading dock and the subway are at least better freebies for people who don't have them

Still the case - thus far only DT's light set #1 has not been already obtained. What was useful was the ability to make 'official' a gift from Ann0314 (and I had lost track of the zip she gave me anyway!). This V6 Pro bundle (with the attendant freebies) is really aimed at relative newcomers I cannot help but feel. It's like a lot of things, 'any cost' to snag a new customer, but once you get your claws in they cease to matter so much. As an example I recently changed my car (I was tols that having what amounted to a swimming pool in the back seat footwell was not a good feature - particularly without a diving board!). I went from a 2 litre turbo diesel to a 1.4 normal petrol engine. The insurance company I have been with for 30 years decided to charge me more for the privilege. However, the nice person who took my call suggested that I try their new policy department and put me through to them. Once there I got my (same) insurance for around 2/3rds what I was currently paying. Why does nobody seem tp really reward long-standing customers?

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    It's like a lot of things, 'any cost' to snag a new customer, but once you get your claws in they cease to matter so much.

Absolutely agree 100%. Sadly this has been the impression I have been getting for a year or two now.

It never use to be this way. DAZ use to give significantly more care to existing customers. Some times to the detriment of new users.

I guess that business model didn't work out for them.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    SimonJM said:
    It's like a lot of things, 'any cost' to snag a new customer, but once you get your claws in they cease to matter so much.

Absolutely agree 100%. Sadly this has been the impression I have been getting for a year or two now.

It never use to be this way. DAZ use to give significantly more care to existing customers. Some times to the detriment of new users.

To be fair their Sales/Customer Support continues to be pretty good - even for us 'old lags' ;)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Legionair said:
    SimonJM said:

To be fair their Sales/Customer Support continues to be pretty good - even for us 'old lags' ;)

Yes, they have been. And I can't help but feel sorry for them. They get subjected to the various complaints every other sales promotion.

In fact in my last support ticket I apologized and stated that I wasn't upset with the service. But that this was my only vehicle to communicate my displeasure to DAZ's marketing department and whoever is coming up with these promotions.

edited December 1969

DWG said:
    The Living Room Collection (the coffee tables): Weekly freebie November 2012
    Superhero Training Gear: Oct 2011 Weekly freebie
    Summertime Grill: July 2012 Weekly Freebie
    Modern Bed 1: March 2013 PC Freebie

I really find this to be beyond the pale. It's deceptive marketing if not an outright lie.

I will once again point to the DAZ quote from the very first day: "With a different freebie every day for Pro Bundle owners - she practically pays for herself."

That was right on the rotating banner that touted the "value" of buying early. I have to ask, how can the bundle pay for itself if the items given away are / were free?

The logic that those items are no longer free is not valid in my mind. Never mind that one of the items is a benefit that I paid for as a PC member.

It's like buying a new car and being told that you're getting a great deal because the floor mats and radio are included. Then finding out that last week those items were free to anyone anyway.

edited December 1969

Ha! One I don't have. Sci Fi Firearms pack. That makes 2 for me. I seem to recall there being a deal with this when Supersuit was released, but it wasn't one I jumped on if so. I think I only like one of the guns in there, but one gun is better than no gun I suppose.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Awww, still a full house for me, had 'em all before... two days to go, no point expecting any surprises now, hehehe

• Alpha01Alpha01 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

This whole thing has just been one big joke at our expense.

If I worked at the Daz Studio, I would be sooo embarrassed and ashamed at how this promo has gone.

They could of made six textures, bumb maps, or even just random tattoos that worked with V6, eye reflections, nail colours, make up, skin toners even just hand poses or feet positioning would of been better then old recycled freebies or offers.

I normally don't mind buying things to help out artists and to keep the industry in business, but this is just insulting and more then just a slap in the face. Its virtual day light robbery and an abuse of trust in miss leading advertisement.

It is a real shame.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited June 2013

Agree with former speakers, to me it feels like what the IRL shops do somewhere, scrape the floor of things they haven't got rid of and but it in the €1 bin.
    The loading dock and the subway were the only ones doing it for me. (on the other hand the LD was great since it had been sitting in my wishlist forever...)

I had hoped for at least one character, one outfit, one pose set and one hair for V6.... or for basic G2. But no, with only two more days to go my hopes are not that high.

Post edited by Hera on
  • Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

I am joining this party late but here's my input. (And I'll confess to not having ready every item in the thread - so apologies for rehashing some items.)

Like other who are long time customers, here at day 9 of an 11 day promo, I have bought all but 2 of the items previously. So, it is a disappointing promo for me. I didn't even think to look at which products were already 'freebies' or PC items - that would add to the disappointment.

And, yes, the 'practically pays for herself' implies a lot - some could argue an implied contract. I calculated at an average of 5-7 dollars per model for 11 days - they would be correct of "practically free". When I saw the old stuff I knew what was coming I hoped there might be some models offered up I had already bought. But not nearly every one offered. Even four or five $10 items I hadn't bought previously would have made it a 'break even' deal to me.)

At this point the promo is what it is.

And while I never get the impression that folks at DAZ really read the forums, here's my 3 suggestions for future such promos.

1. Tie it in to the product more. If it's V6 - then directly relate to V6. Things like pose packs, texture sets, morphs, clothing/accessories are fine. Yes, the lighting packs work as a good complimentary package for almost any newly released model (but see item 3 below). Anything not specific to the model promo - like western gear, barns, loading bays, BBQ grills as in this case - forget 'em.

2. It may not be necessary to 'give away' stuff. Don't get me wrong, free is always nice. But offer up the V6 new releases at low price for 24 hours (say $2.99 or some such). Keep in mind the prerequisite of having bought the pro bundle. Face it, if we are willing to pay for a pro bundle, a really low price for a new releases is probably a better incentive over free stuff we already have. Do make sure it's a mix of stuff and not 6 hair models over 6 days. (Not sure I'd do such a promo for 11 days...but 5-7 days probably if the releases are related and the deal fantastic. At least this way, even if it ran for 11 days, I control whether I 'break even' or not. This promo was more along the lines of "trust us - it's a good deal"; that drive a 'buyer beware' response.)

3. Stay away from anything previously released. As pointed out, there's been so many sales on DO items, there's a high risk that even short term customers (1 year or less) have bought them. (Don't forget there's a risk even for non-DO items having been previously bought so maybe a blanket 'stay away from anything offered previously' is the way to go.) For loyal customers (like me) who have been around awhile (say since 2007), the risk of offering previously purchased items runs very high. (Side bar: because of this pattern of putting so many items on sale, I have added more to my wish list figuring that the items may be a free offer incentive for the annual promotions like March Madness and PC sales. Not sure my thinking is sound, only time will tell.)

Reconsider how and what you offer in the way of incentives and promotional programs. Assume you have a loyal customer base and be sure to factor in their buying habits when planning promotions. I am much more happy with paying a bit for a good deal over feeling slighted as a loyal customer with offers free stuff I already have.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...excellent post.

BTW looks like they're having a fire sale on Genesis "Classic" items this weekend.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

After having previously bought so many... I was surprised to finally get one today I didn't have.

edited June 2013

And what's in there today?

Drumrollllll ..... All the diner foods.

meh - they weren't even fun first time around.

Now we have one more day to go, and it better be something awesome - like Tynashe for V6 or a brand new bodysuit for the lass...

Post edited by Hera on
    edited December 1969

Shocking food on a plate, what's tomorrow a cow and some milk to symbolize that we are been milked ?

edited December 1969

Alpha01 said:
    Shocking food on a plate, what's tomorrow a cow and some milk to symbolize that we are been milked ?
    Yes, The Millenium Cow for free, that would be a real treat !!
    edited December 1969

ha ha ha

Yeah I guess it actually would.

But I have to say, (which I am sad about) I think this will be the last bundle I will buy.
    I think I will just use my monthly coupon to support artist and just stay with what I have.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Updating the list:
    Superhero Training Gear: Weekly freebie, Week Ending 25th Oct 2011
    Summertime Grill: Weekly freebie, WE 8th July 2012
    The Living Room Collection: Weekly freebie, WE 13th Nov 2012
    Diner Food 1: Weekly freebie, WE 27th Nov 2012
    Diner Food 2: Weekly freebie, WE 15th Jan 2013
    Modern Bed 1: PC Freebie: March 2013
    Diner Food 3: Weekly Freebie, WE 9th April 2013

So that's 7 previous freebies, all less than 2 years old, 6 less than a year old, 4 less than 6 months old, 1 less than 3 months old. Anyone want to guess at pre-existing ownership of Diner Food 3 amongst V6 Pro purchasers? 95%? More? What'll we get for the grand finale - this week's freebie?

I rarely complain, but way to leave a nasty taste in the mouth, DAZ. You've actually made me consider returning V6 Pro+Morphs Bundle+V4 for Genesis 2 purely because of the way this promotion has played out. I wouldn't have objected to overlaps with items I'd already paid for, that's just chance, but deliberate selection of items you've already given away recently?

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    Updating the list:
    Superhero Training Gear: Weekly freebie, Week Ending 25th Oct 2011
    Summertime Grill: Weekly freebie, WE 8th July 2012
    The Living Room Collection: Weekly freebie, WE 13th Nov 2012
    Diner Food 1: Weekly freebie, WE 27th Nov 2012
    Diner Food 2: Weekly freebie, WE 15th Jan 2013
    Modern Bed 1: PC Freebie: March 2013
    Diner Food 3: Weekly Freebie, WE 9th April 2013

So that's 7 previous freebies, all less than 2 years old, 6 less than a year old, 4 less than 6 months old, 1 less than 3 months old. Anyone want to guess at pre-existing ownership of Diner Food 3 amongst V6 Pro purchasers? 95%? More? What'll we get for the grand finale - this week's freebie?

I rarely complain, but way to leave a nasty taste in the mouth, DAZ. You've actually made me consider returning V6 Pro+Morphs Bundle+V4 for Genesis 2 purely because of the way this promotion has played out. I wouldn't have objected to overlaps with items I'd already paid for, that's just chance, but deliberate selection of items you've already given away recently?

Yeah, this paired with the shocking lack of content for V6 following her release...I'm just...I think 'flabbergasted' is the word? Are they trying to kill this figure on purpose?

edited June 2013

In all fairness to DAZ, they're possibly staggering new releases to maximise number of customers that can afford to buy due to the unexpected nature of the V6 release in the first place that probably took quite a few budgets completely by surprise.

Post edited by Jabba on
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    In all fairness to DAZ, they're possibly staggering new releases to maximise number of customers that can afford to buy due to the unexpected nature of the V6 release in the first place that probably took quite a few budgets completely by surprise.

If that's their logic, then they need to have their heads examined...

It's like Sony saying "we released the PS4 this week, and our customers probably don't have any money... so lets not release any games for it until next month. They can always use the old games they bought for their PS3."

edited December 1969

I'm offering them the benefit of doubt... not to mention my working theory is that this entire shambles suggests this was all released too early by accident... :(

...not to mention that it would only be comparable to PS4 release if Sony had given it no promotion at all, just like DAZ officially gave G2F/V6 a promo of absolute zero.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Alpha01 said:
    Yes, The Millenium Cow for free, that would be a real treat !!
    ...shoot, that would almost make plunking down 62$ for the Pro Bundle worth the price.

...oh wait, I forgot, have to add another 27$ for the morphs and V4 for G2F to make the bundle useful.

...never mind. Even the Millennium Cow can't make up for that big of an investment.

...however...

...if they threw in the Millennium Cube5 for Genesis and Unflatable Pony for Horse2, I might reconsider.

edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    I'm offering them the benefit of doubt... not to mention my working theory is that this entire shambles suggests this was all released too early by accident... :(

I'm inclined to agree with this. I think circumstances, possibly a variety of circumstances, led them to speed up the release. I think wanting to get Genesis 2 out ahead of emerging competition may have played a role too in making it all feel rushed... and the delay of more supporting products makes the decision seem questionable. Still, we'll see.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

DWG said:

Probably the Genesis 2 Basic Female or the Genesis Troll. The throw-in is always the Genesis Troll. :)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

i can kinda agree with this. I do understand the other poster's analogy of the playstation, BUT when new releases like this that are major, get released all at once, the forum is then full of people complaining about it, that the releases are coming too fast for budget considerations. So it's kinda a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" thing. Release a HEAP of new stuff at once - ppl complain it's too fast and too much. Release them over a period of time - ppl complain there are not ENOUGH releases for a new figure. So i really don't think there is a hard and fast option for them.

edited December 1969

Probably the Genesis 2 Basic Female or the Genesis Troll. The throw-in is always the Genesis Troll. :)

Lol! Well, definitely if they made the last item the Genesis 2 Basic Female that we all just got freely a week ago, that would certainly bring the right sort of irony to this finale! ;)

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Jabba101 said:

i can kinda agree with this. I do understand the other poster's analogy of the playstation, BUT when new releases like this that are major, get released all at once, the forum is then full of people complaining about it, that the releases are coming too fast for budget considerations. So it's kinda a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" thing. Release a HEAP of new stuff at once - ppl complain it's too fast and too much. Release them over a period of time - ppl complain there are not ENOUGH releases for a new figure. So i really don't think there is a hard and fast option for them.

There is staggering and then there is nothing. In the past week, how many Genesis 2 things came out? Textures, characters, clothes, hair, anything? Not very much... And what did come out was all PA work.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

I'm inclined to agree with this. I think circumstances, possibly a variety of circumstances, led them to speed up the release. I think wanting to get Genesis 2 out ahead of emerging competition may have played a role too in making it all feel rushed... and the delay of more supporting products makes the decision seem questionable. Still, we'll see.

what emerging competition? And whatever competition there is, v6 is not next gen, is no longer even genesis, still has most of the same old issues genesis 1 has. Im not sure how this release has competed with any competition.