Cloudflare Annoyance

DWGDWG Posts: 770
edited December 1969 in The Commons

For the last week or so, my desktop keeps giving me the Cloudflare 'This website is down' page when I try and read individual forum messages - I can get as far as the individual sub-forums such as The Commons, which shows that topics are updating and the website isn't down, but not further than that.

My laptop can get straight through without an issue.

Both are running Opera 12, the only difference between the two is that the laptop runs under XP, the Desktop under Vista.

Deleting DAZ cookies has no effect.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hard refresh will often help

Ctrl+F5 or Shift+Browser refresh button or Shift+Ctrl+R depending on the browser.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    edited December 1969

That was only happening to me when I was browsing via mobile. I kept getting around it by going to the DAZ3D homepage and going back into the forums from there. It wasn't a fix but I got around it. :S

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

I can reproduce this consistently on mobile if I'm not logged in.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hard refresh doesn't make a difference - not too surprising given I'm having it happen even on pages I haven't looked at before.

Coming in from the DAZ homepage doesn't help.

Even emptying the cache, exiting Opera and restarting it isn't helping.

I've also deleted Cloudflare and DAZ cookies without effect.

Any other suggestions?

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I'm having the same problem with Opera, works fine if I log in though ...so far.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Is this anything like a solar flare? Just kidding...

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

I'm on a broadband service on my desktop and this happens, too. Not always, but often enough it gets annoying.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I have no idea what Cloudflare is, but I use Chrome on both Win7 and Android and have zero issues.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Don't know for Opera but I had it with FF recently. As I use Noscript Cloudflare was forbidden to launch script. After allowing it I had no more problem till now

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844
    edited December 1969

Someone has changed something so that now to view threads you need to be logged in.

edited December 1969

Logged in, logged out, it makes no difference.

For the ppl who don't know what Cloudflare is, it's a sort of web-backup service, if a site crashes, it's supposed to direct you to a copy (or at least a site-down message) on the Cloudflare servers until it comes back up, but I'm getting their basic 'This site is down' message even when DAZ is up and running.

edited December 1969

I looked it up. CloudFlare is a content delivery network and domain name server that is supposed to improve website performance and security.

It's a company and not something that happens to cloud servers.

edited December 1969

DWG said:

For the ppl who don't know what Cloudflare is, it's a sort of web-backup service, if a site crashes, it's supposed to direct you to a copy (or at least a site-down message) on the Cloudflare servers until it comes back up, but I'm getting their basic 'This site is down' message even when DAZ is up and running.

IT is a network of servers, so it could be that the local Cloud server had a hiccup. They are world wide it appears.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    DWG said:

IT is a network of servers, so it could be that the local Cloud server had a hiccup. They are world wide it appears.

Do clouds hiccup? Sorry, Cho, couldn't resist...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...my issue is it keeps giving me a blank reply form after I click on Submit Post. or I'm routed to my account page rather than back to the thread I'm on.

And yes, I clear my cache regularly.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    chohole said:
    DWG said:

Do clouds hiccup? Sorry, Cho, couldn't resist...

They sound like little thundery rumbles

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...here they just spit on us a lot. No hiccups or burps.

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...my issue is it keeps giving me a blank reply form after I click on Submit Post. or I'm routed to my account page rather than back to the thread I'm on.

And yes, I clear my cache regularly.

Two things here... first one not addressing this problem.

The Cloudflare problems were dependent on where you are geographically and what was going on there. They were having some issues of mitigating a DDOS attack at one of their nodes and rerouting around some network issues on two others. Basically, just to clear it up, Cloudflare isn't the cloud. It is, as someone pointed out, a DNS service and reverse proxy based CDN service that also provides things such as DDOS mitigation. Basically, it is an all in one service that makes it so the site will load a lot faster for people and help keep the site, as a whole, more stable. We've had a handful of DDOS attacks back in 2012 that brought the entire site down or seriously slowed it down which have been completely mitigated and stopped since starting to use Cloudflare. Now, the most we see is the occasional geographic zone having some connection issues for an hour or two, a lot better than before using CF.

Secondly, forum stuff like being described here isn't anything to do with Cloudflare.. that is 100% in Daz's court for being "off". There are a number of reasons and things contributing to it which most don't care about to hear. The one thing that I can say on it is we are currently actively working on eliminating this completely and move the forums from this lower quality software base to a much better platform... one that will actually not be terrible on handling things like image uploads. However, that is still some time off (not going to say "soon" on that) since we aren't going to make the poor decision of starting from scratch. We're working out how to migrate all the posts, private messages, signatures, avatars, image uploads, etc., and are looking at what it would take to also move the old forum posts from the archive over. We know the forums are an important part of our site and that it could be a lot better, and are actively working on it.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    The one thing that I can say on it is we are currently actively working on eliminating this completely and move the forums from this lower quality software base to a much better platform...

Will this be any help in the (as far as I can tell) completely random problem of clicking on an e-bot link and getting the "thread does not exist" error when the thread is not only still in existence, but also still collecting posts. It doesn't happen to me often, but when it does, especially in a thread I'm particularly interested in, it's a major pain in the anatomy.

Or is this a completely different incredibly annoying limitation of the software...?

edited December 1969

Will this be any help in the (as far as I can tell) completely random problem of clicking on an e-bot link and getting the "thread does not exist" error when the thread is not only still in existence, but also still collecting posts. It doesn't happen to me often, but when it does, especially in a thread I'm particularly interested in, it's a major pain in the anatomy.

Or is this a completely different incredibly annoying limitation of the software...?

That is just the software being used for the forum and just one of the many reasons we are working on migrating away from it.
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited June 2013

DAZ_Jon said:

That is just the software being used for the forum and just one of the many reasons we are working on migrating away from it.

Ah, OK. Is it safe to assume the similar glitch that just bit me a minute ago — clicking on a thread title in a forum search page and getting my account dashboard — is in the same category?
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

Pretty much all of those little forum related glitches.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Not wanting to peek and poke and pry too much but are not the store and the message board tightly linked using the same Magento system software? If you're looking at replacing the message board does that also imply a change to the store too?

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Not wanting to peek and poke and pry too much but are not the store and the message board tightly linked using the same Magento system software? If you're looking at replacing the message board does that also imply a change to the store too?

No, the store is Magento. The forums is a different software platform that exists completely separately. There is a "bridge" that links the two together for account creation and authentication, however, that bridge was poorly done (and the cause of things like getting signed out of the store but not the forums, or vice versa). So the process of migrating to a new forum software is for the forum only and then tie ins at key points with the store to create a single account experience.
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    SimonJM said:

No, the store is Magento. The forums is a different software platform that exists completely separately. There is a "bridge" that links the two together for account creation and authentication, however, that bridge was poorly done (and the cause of things like getting signed out of the store but not the forums, or vice versa). So the process of migrating to a new forum software is for the forum only and then tie ins at key points with the store to create a single account experience.
    Phew, not another store upheaval, good to hear. Good luck with hunting down decent forum software that can 'understand' Magento! :)
    edited June 2013

chohole said:

Not when my desktop has the error, but my laptop, using the same internet feed, doesn't.

Post edited by DWG on
    edited June 2013

DAZ_Jon said:

Ah, OK. Is it safe to assume the similar glitch that just bit me a minute ago — clicking on a thread title in a forum search page and getting my account dashboard — is in the same category?

Ugh I get this as well randomly. Only thing that cures it is a log out/in. Although, now the site doesn't seem to want to keep my login for more than a day so I haven't gotten this issue lately.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

This is rubbish I don't want my information going through some CIA filter no wonder it's so slow and people in rural areas can't log on !!!

edited June 2013

This is rubbish I don't want my information going through some CIA filter no wonder it's so slow and people in rural areas can't log on !!!

Lol, I think I know what you're talking about. Cloudflare isn't related to the CIA.. they only got stuck in the middle of a web battle 2 years ago since one of the parties was using their services. CF is actually used by hacking groups so they can do their dirty work behind protected routes, unless they've since stopped, but that's a whole other story.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

You mean you don't want the NSA reading your e-mail and forum posts? Keep saying that and they might think you were up to something nefarious. Maybe even out to take over the world...