A sad day in the freebie community

jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in Freebies

This will probably be moved to the commons but I just wanted to post it here first.

We have lost another member of our community.
Our good friend BWSman has passed away yesterday. He will be greatly missed, his humor and strength will be remembered forever.
He helped hold together our freebie challenge for many years. Our condolences go out to his family.
Here's to you "B" we will ever forget

Comments

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I am posting the pm between myself and BWSman's brother for anyone who wants to know more.

Ron was not only active here in the forums, but he was also a member of a service club similar to the Lions or Kiwanis called The Kinsmen Club of Canada. He was walking to the bus stop to help out at an event they were hosting in our home town when he had a heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital, but could not be revived. He had been a diabetic for over 28 years. In 2005 he was diagnosed with kidney failure and put on dialysis. In the fall of 2008 he received a kidney and pancreas transplant. Just when it looked like things were turning around for him, he developed a sore on his left heel that would not heal. (One of the complications of diabetes is reduced circulation to the extremities, the hands and feet.) This led to the amputation of that leg in the early summer of 2009. He was determined that this would not stop him an refused to be bound to a wheelchair. As soon as possible he was fitted with a prosthetic and was walking again before the year was over. In the fall of 2010 he developed a blister on his right foot. The doctors did their best, but by early 2011 infection had settled deep in the foot. If the doctors had kept removing bad tissue he would have been left with less than 1/2 a foot. He made the decision to have his right foot amputated just below the knee, similar to the left leg, so he could get on with his life, walk on his own and do the things he loved. Early in 2012 the transplanted kidney failed and he was put back on dialysis. This and the sickness earlier that put quite a strain on his heart. Although he had to go to the hospital three times a week for dialysis, he kept helping out with the Kinsmen, and had a daily presence in the forum.

If you want to copy any or all of the above to post in the forum, you have my permission. I am attaching a picture I took of him last year while we were golfing you may post as well. If you want a higher resolution image, email me at [email protected].

GRNGiant

GOD BLESS you GRNGiant

BWSMan.jpg
    416 x 554 - 243K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

I've been mulling over for the better part of two hours this sad news and wondering what, if anything to say. All I can do is extend my deepest condolences to his family and friends for this brave, resourceful and most human of human beings and wish him Godspeed. Run a victory lap 'round the Pearly Gates...you've more than earned it.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I'm always at a loss for words in situations like this. I had absolutely no knowledge of his health issues the past several years, but from reading what his brother wrote to jeeperz, I can safely say the man was a fighter up to the end. He will be a great inspiration to those who will face similar situations and think all is lost. This man did not think all was lost. He fought against each new issue and won each new battle. It's unfortunate that he lost the war.

I didn't know you as well as a lot of others here in the forums did sir, but you will definitely be missed by all.

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

BWS was frequently quite literally the Man when someone had to step in and sort things out in the DAZ Freebie Challenge. He was a tough but ready judge.

He was usually quite stoic, so it was a hoot when he let loose his sense of humour. I'm delighted to have been the recipient of a few well-aimed pies in the face from him.

Adios, old chum.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Rest in peace BWSman. We will miss you most keenly. Thanks for the memories and the kindness. My condolences to the family.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

My condolences. I empathize with his family.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

My condolences to his family and loved ones! As has been said, he was a fighter to the end, a brave man. He didn't whine about his troubles. We will all miss him.

Dana

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Godspeed, BWSman. You will be missed.

My deepest condolences to your family and friends.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What a dreadful shock! I really am having trouble getting this to sink in.

I know that he was always very helpful on the forums, and very knowledgeable too, and you could rely on his advice. I will certainly miss him, and I'm sure everyone on the forums is as shocked as I am. Thank you for letting us know

My condolences to his family and friends.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What can I say that hasn't already been said better by others. I remember how Ron dealt with his problems, the photos he posted from his hospital bed to show us how things were doing with his 2nd amputation, the photos he posted to show how well he was getting on with his new legs, all were awe inspiring to see the way he was not just coping but celebrating every step forward. His attitude was so wonderful to see.

quoting from the WOT series "May the last embrace of the Mother welcome you home B"

My thoughts are with GRNgiant and the rest of his family.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Very sad news, very sad indeed.
    I have discussed with him occasionally here and I have deepest respect for his work in the freebee community.

Rest in peace friend - wherever your believes will take you.

• mininessiemininessie Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

:( so sorry to hear that!
    my condolences!

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

RIP BWSman.

Condolences to his family.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

*throat constricted*
    Condolences to his family.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

I probably knew Ron best of all of the folks in the freebie challenge. In fact, he was my first and number one ETO (Executive Team Officer). He always helped me keep my head on straight and was quick with a resolve when things got rough. He was a firm believer in the "freebie" tradition and set a presidence for giving of himself. He was a very funny guy in private. He was a pillar to this community, and though his legs were gone, stood high above all our heads. A symbol of strength, vertue and honesty to the human spirit. Last night, I must admit, the tears flowed here from this grown man who will miss him so very deeply. God's bouquet of flowers has been completed now with the very special "Rose". My thoughts and condolences go out to his family and may they always be reminded of just how lucky they all were to be a part of this very special person's life. May he remain the inspiration that he was for us all as to just how precious life really is and how strong the love for it can be. May you rest in peace forever more my dear brother.

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Alas, it's always the good ones that go too soon and are faced with the hardest challenges in life.

Hope they are finally giving you the well earned rest and good life you deserve, B.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

very sorry to hear of his passing, my condolences to his family.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I only knew him on the forum here, but I could tell he was a good person. And now he's gone.

What can I say that hasn't already been said...?

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited June 2013

dominus vobiscum

Post edited by Elowan on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

My condolences to his family and friends, and everyone whose life he touched. Very sad news indeed...

• stronghandsstronghands Posts: 104
    edited December 1969

No words

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited December 1969

Sad news indeed.... :(

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:
    dominus vobiscum

amen.
  • SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

This is very sad but what an inspiring human being! I've been around the community here and at Renderosity and remember his name and him being an active poster. Never knew this person was so courageous and such a great example of a fighter and positivism. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Very sad news

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Nothing but respect for a great man and contributor to the world and people around him. It is a great loss to everyone who knew him. He was a great person and will be truly missed. Hope he's running about on 2 new perfect legs now and having a blast... pure inspiration to everyone around him to never give up and live fully no matter what challenges lives serves us. Rest In Peace (or wild frenetic delight) BWSman!

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Sad to learn of his passing...

I will miss your postings BSWman. Glad to have had the pleasure to interact with you in the forums while you were here.

I envision you running with joy with your new legs in your slice of paradise. May your forever be everything you ever wanted.

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

I'm so terribly sorry for this loss. Deepest condolences to everyone who loved him.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

So very sad :( My thoughts are with his family and friends.