Genesis 2 Female problems (solved for me!)

Pluck47Pluck47 Posts: 0

Hi I just downloaded Daz 4.6 and wanted to try out the genesis 2 female and when trying to load it, a pop up comes up and tells me im missing the .dsf. I've tried uninstalling genesis 1&2 essential packs and re-installing them. I've added a screenshot of my problem. Do i have to buy Victoria 6 in order to use genesis 2 or is something just not working for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post edited by Pluck47 on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Where did you install Genesis 2 into? Did you use the DIM?

DIM installs by default into a different location than the older installers. Either uninstall it using DIM, and reinstall it to you current library, or add the new library to your Content Directory Manager.

• Pluck47Pluck47 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I installed it using the DIM and it should be downloading to where all my other files are. When i got the DIM i reinstalled all my files using it so they should all be in the same spot.

edited December 1969

I also used the DIM to install mine, but Genesis 2 does not appear in my Smart Content pane. I have the file installed that your program is looking for in the data folder, so you should really have it as well.

Can you try and load it from the Content Library, that might work? It should be under DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis 2, and see if it will load from there. The other thing may be a bad path to the data folder, what does it say for DAZ Studio Formats in your Content Directory Manager?

edited December 1969

This is what it says for my directory

genesis_2_problems_2.png
    1366 x 768 - 332K
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm bafled! Did you change the install path in DIM to point to your My Library folder? It installs by default to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library unless you change it. I don;t know why the Genesis2 file would not be put into the data folder,, unless you have more than one data folder.

If all above is correct, then can you do a search for data, and see if there is another dtat folder on your system that contains the genesis file, or you could do a search for Genesis2Female.dsf and see if it turns up anything?

You could also look in the DIM, to see where it was all installed to, by going to the installed tab, selecting Genesis 2 Starter Essentials, right click on that, and select Installed files. Mine shows the following:

/data/Age of Armour/Subsurface Shaders/AoA_Subsurface/AoA_Subsurface.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/Down Front.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/Down Left.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/Down Right.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/FBMGiaBody.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/FBMVictoria6Body.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/Shorts.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Shorts/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/default.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Top/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/FBMGiaBody.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Top/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/FBMVictoria6Body.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Top/Top.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Top/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/default.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Underwear/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/FBMGiaBody.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Underwear/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/FBMVictoria6Body.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Underwear/Underwear.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2 Female Basic Wear/Underwear/UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base/default.dsf
    /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf
    edited December 1969

This is where my Install manager is installing things

Install_manager._.png
    1366 x 768 - 729K
    edited June 2013

That is why I asked, that is the correct default path, and you don't have it listed in your Content Directory Manager, so DS should not see any Genesis 2 stuff at all. (perhaps it is only in the database ?)

Add that path from the DIM to your Content Directory Manager for BOTH Poser and DAZ Studio Formats.in DS, and it will work.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

Bingo!! That worked!!! Haha thank you soo much!!! Works perfectly now. Now i can get back to rendering!!

edited December 1969

My pleasure, glad it's going for you now.

• minxdragonminxdragon Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

I'm baffled too I have the exact same problem, but my content libraries point to the right place (for both daz and poser) I have installed via the DIM and the .zip, I have installed it to all my content locations and I am about to scream! I see genesis 2 in the figures section but the image is broken and it says file not found. it's looking for a .duf file but my spotlight file searches are bringing up a .dsf. the product link for genesis 2 starter essentials is there but empty. if I click on the files in the DIM it brings it up in my files list. the file location is the same one in my library.

I have tried scanning for new files, reimporting metadata, processing the queue..

I'm stumped!

Screen_Shot_2013-06-24_at_6.22_.28_PM_.png
    1053 x 737 - 299K
    Screen_Shot_2013-06-24_at_6.18_.37_PM_.png
    559 x 533 - 68K
    Screen_Shot_2013-06-24_at_6.18_.48_PM_.png
    989 x 259 - 155K
    Screen_Shot_2013-06-24_at_6.19_.16_PM_.png
    362 x 144 - 24K
    Post edited by minxdragon on
    edited December 1969

Hello minxdragon, I don't know what has happened to you, and I know nothing about Macs I'm afraid.

The screenshot of the installed files that you posted is not useful, if you could go down to near the bottom of that file, where the data entries end, and the DUF files begin, it may be more helpful. In mine, I get the following entries near the bottom of the page (this is just a small section of it)

You can see that /People/Genesis 2 Female/Genesis 2 Base Female.duf has been installed, and that is what appears in the Content Library for me to load Genesis. I go to DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis 2 in the Content Library pane, and load it from there. My Genesis 2 does not appear in Smart Content at all.

Have a look at your installed files again, and have a look in the Content Library pane, if you can load it from there, it would be a workaround for now.

/People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Materials/06_Top.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Materials/06_Top.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Materials/06_Undies.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Materials/06_Undies.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Shorts.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Shorts.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Top.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Top.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Underwear.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Clothing/Basic Wear/Underwear.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Genesis 2 Base Female.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Genesis 2 Base Female.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree All.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree All.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree Bump Close-Up.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree Bump Close-Up.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree Bump Distance.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree Bump Distance.png
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree Eyes 01 shadow.duf
    /People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials/Bree Eyes 01 shadow.png
    edited June 2013

Thanks for your response :)
    sadly I can't even load from the content directory.. she just isn't there! I honestly have no idea what is going on.

lower down with the .duf files looks exactly the same to my eyes. by all rights she should be there!

I can drag and drop the .duf file from my file list (not double click, even that doesn't work..) and she seems to load, but something in the install or the installers is just borked.

Screen_Shot_2013-06-25_at_9.09_.25_AM_.png
    561 x 547 - 64K
    Post edited by minxdragon on
  • Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone

Das Studio pro 4.6 on mac pro Os X 10.7.5 : same issue on various content library item.

I had the same error message on AoA_Subsurface.dsf missing, and looking on my files, it's exactly where it should be, at the right place. Still Daz studio gives me a warning error message.

I also have the same error message about missing items on about half of my Daz content.

I wonder if it's OS X related.

For the record, i don't use daz insaller, i do it manually one item at a time, at the correct place (the files ARE where they should be, just Studio pretend they are not), and in the content manager, i see both the path : the studio one and the "my library" one.

anyone having the same issue?

Cake

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I don't think this is OS related, I think it is stupid Smart Content related. As an experiment I uninstalled G2 Starter Essentials from my primary library and installed in its own new library with DIM. Started Studio but didn't add the new G2 library to the Content Directory, DIM seems to pass install info to the CMS database thus an icon appeared in Smart Content even though the library hadn't been mapped yet. Clicking the icon gives the same error everyone else have been getting because without the library being mapped Studio cannot locate the files as they are referenced using relative addressing. The fix is configure DIM properly so it installs to a mapped Studio library folder.

• edited December 1969

I have the same problem on my Mac. I reinstalled the DAZ and a content in many variants. no result. I don't want more to seek the cause of the system or paths of installation, because obviously it's a problem of release. I'll wait for update

edited December 1969

I have tried installing manually to a separate mapped drive as well, (I have about 5.. it's probaby time for a cleanup ;) ) and the paths are all right in the DIM. I've remapped the metadata and scanned for known content.

this is the only content I have found but it really does seem to be a mac issue as there is no way around it and only mac users are reporting a problem. I know I've tested and installed this five ways from sunday and ticked off every way I could think of to see my content.

so who wants to submit the bug ticket? should I do it?

edited December 1969

It is not a problem with the release, it is a matter of installing it to a properly mapped Studio library. In Studio go to Edit Preferences then Content Library tab and at the bottom click the Content Directory Manager button. Expand DAZ Studio Formats and take note of the path or paths listed. In DIM click the cog icon then go to the Installation tab, right click on the default path to edit and change to match one listed in Studio Content Directory Manager.

edited December 1969

if you look in my original posts I already did that. Been there, done that, got the screenshot ;) it's not the location that's the problem. (even then I still tried various locations including my catchall location and switching between my various content libraries.) it's still not showing up or working. she's there, I can drag and drop her in from finder, but the installation is no good.

my studio folder is mapped, for poser and for Daz content. my DIM folder is properly mapped, my catchall folder is properly mapped. the correct content library was selected at the time and it Did Not Work.

as it is not working for other mac users I suspect it is a Mac issue requiring a bug report. that's ok, I'm really really used to submitting mac bug reports now *sigh*

• edited December 1969

I found that I had TWO DAZSTUDIO because DAZ installed by bitrock and DAZ installed by DIM - they are two different programs on one Mac same time -It's a reason of many problems. DAZ Installed by DIM request content from a folder that lies at MacintoshHD > Users > Shared > My DAZ 3D Library, but the path to the installation of new content points to a different folder by default (MacintoshHD > Users > (name) > Documents > DAZ 3D > Studio > My Library). My opinion it 'is bug.

So I solved the problem this way:
    1. Uninstalled by DIM all that was installed by DIM
    2. Uninstall by Bitrock all that was installed by Bitrock
    3. Uninstalled the DIM himself
    4. Removed manually all folders and paths of DAZ
    5. Installed DIM
    6. Installed DAZ
    7. In Daz: DazStudio > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager > Content Directories - set paths (/Users > Shared > My DAZ 3D Library)
    8. Installed all content
    9. Set startup scene: In Daz: DazStudio > Preferences > Startup > Load file: /Users/Shared /My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis/Genesis.duf

Sorry my English

• MrBeach2006MrBeach2006 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Mac 4.6.3.52 Daz 3D Pro 64-Bit : I had the same problems as everyone else had on this thread.

Mine started to work for M6 once I went Loading / Creating > Content Library ( Tab ) > Sub Menu ( go far right of the Tabs and click the Arrow with squeally lines ) > Search Hard Drive for Files

After that M6, V6, M6 HD, & V6 HD worked. But Genesis 2 Base Characters still missing in Content Library.

DAZ Company needs to fix this bug in the installer and give an Easy Way to Fix Existing Installs without a complete re-install. This is a Company Release issue Not an User issue !!!

Note : I am an old time Windows User but giving file paths did not help me since Mac File System is strange to me.

edited December 1969

Sorry, but this is a user issue as you have not taken the time to configure either DIM or DAZ Studio properly.

• MrBeach2006MrBeach2006 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hey Power User,

Wrong answer !!

I have been using Daz on Windows for 3 years now without a single problem.

3 Years ago I tried the Mac version and it was very buggy at best. So I use Windows.

Since it has been sometime now, I am trying to consolidate on to the Mac OS and get rid of Windows.

The Daz User experience and quality should be the same on all OSs such as Mac, Windows, or future Linux. To date Daz has not delivered that same Bug free experience on the Mac.

I have spent thousands of dollars on the Daz site, so I am entitled to complain when my newly purchase M6, V6, & HD do not run when the DIM said they are installed fine from a default DIM install. If it was a DIM Config. problem then the DIM should check to see if the files ended up in the correct path for Daz to use and give a warning and a fix if file are missing. The bottom line is DIM should not report install OK if filrs are missing.

All-in-all it is about the customer experience. This has made me question my upgrading to Carrara. As a customer that has enjoyed Daz and seriously thinking about a Carrara upgrade, I just want to see a Patch to fix the issue since numberous people on this thread are having the same problem.

PS- Power User, do you represent the Daz Company or are you just a geek ? I tried your posts and they did not work.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2014

Please can we be civil. The people who are trying to help are forum members like yourself and are trying their best to give you the advice you need.

BTW forum rankings, which are due to the number of posts made are
    Power member
    Addict.

for normal forum members, they are not their forum user names.

I will see if I can find a Mac User who may be able to help you sort your problems out.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

Hey Power User,

Wrong answer !!

I have been using Daz on Windows for 3 years now without a single problem.

3 Years ago I tried the Mac version and it was very buggy at best. So I use Windows.

Since it has been sometime now, I am trying to consolidate on to the Mac OS and get rid of Windows.

The Daz User experience and quality should be the same on all OSs such as Mac, Windows, or future Linux. To date Daz has not delivered that same Bug free experience on the Mac.

I have spent thousands of dollars on the Daz site, so I am entitled to complain when my newly purchase M6, V6, & HD do not run when the DIM said they are installed fine from a default DIM install. If it was a DIM Config. problem then the DIM should check to see if the files ended up in the correct path for Daz to use and give a warning and a fix if file are missing. The bottom line is DIM should not report install OK if filrs are missing.

All-in-all it is about the customer experience. This has made me question my upgrading to Carrara. As a customer that has enjoyed Daz and seriously thinking about a Carrara upgrade, I just want to see a Patch to fix the issue since numberous people on this thread are having the same problem.

PS- Power User, do you represent the Daz Company or are you just a geek ? I tried your posts and they did not work.

Hello,
    before you can get help, you need to provide information about where you have installed you content, and where you have configured DAZ Studio to look for content compared to where you have told DIM or the BitRock installers to install content.

A unix path always starts from root which is /. On Mac OS X all external volumes are mounted under /Volumes, your user directory is in /Users/ .

In DIM, you use the "cog" to setup the installation paths. Click it (top right corner of the DIM main screen), and click the tab named Installation. There you can see the paths to where DIM installs. If you have multiple paths for DS content, it is vital that you check the Show details checkbox when you install and tell DIM to which directory it should install.

Now in DS, go to Preferences, Content Library and Content Directory Manager (big button in the lower part of the prefs panel). There you can see what paths you have in DS. Compare and Fix.

• azvampyreazvampyre Posts: 7

The DIM for Genesis 2 Starter Essentials is essential useless. You download the 600MB through DIM and open Daz and have to download it again through there.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    Goofy420 said:

The DIM for Genesis 2 Starter Essentials is essential useless. You download the 600MB through DIM and open Daz and have to download it again through there.

Then you are doing something wrong, like having wrong paths setup between DAZ Studio and DIM.