REALLY Need To Know About Version 4.6 As Genesis 2 Won't Work Right V4.5

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited December 1969 in New Users

All I remember is Jaderail trying to help someone and what he did with ease in V4.5 gave grayed out results (or was grayed out) in V4.6
That rang big time alarm bells.

Can you all tell me your experiences with version 4.6? I hate to change and of course, will put the 4.5 files (copy) in an external hard drive for backup, but another question is- is it possible to have two versions? The DIM goes to another directory path (sorry, hope I am using the right terms there) and I could use the DIM with v4.6 (and Genesis 2) and still have version 4.5 where it is? Or am I dealing with a huge amount of memory there?

Just not technical at all, as you well know. I did buy the Genesis 2 and Victoria 6, THEN read it was version 4.6 and it doesn't do well in 4.5 (the character had dark black circles under the eyes.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You cannot have DS4.5 and DS4.6 installed on the same machine, unless one is the 32 bit version and the other, the 64 bit version.

When (If) you install DS4.6, just point it to the current install location of your DS4.5 content folder, and everything will carry on as normal.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what he was doing in 4.5 that wouldn't work in 4.6. I will say I've not run into any issues with it.

The render engine seems to be a bit faster but that's just a feeling no data to back it up. I also think that the viewport SEEMS a bit more sluggish than in 4.5 but again no data and I'm not positive I'm remembering correctly.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Hi, back from the barn. Hopefully Jaderail will see this thread and fill us in on what it was. Since I frequent Commons, New Members threads, and Members Only (I know it wasn't in that section) I can't really surf back and find it. It was within the past week and a half though I think. I THINK it was new users section.

Okay, I'm going to go see if I can figure out what files are DS4.5 and copy them over to a hard drive first. Then I'll go from there. I havent a CLUE what I'm doing! If I need help, I"ll let you know. Thanks everyone, appreciate you!
    Cathie

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I use DS4.6 and haven't had any significant problems with it. The best thread to read if you want info on 4.6, including issues that some have had (and solutions when available) is here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22156/

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    All I remember is Jaderail trying to help someone and what he did with ease in V4.5 gave grayed out results (or was grayed out) in V4.6
    That rang big time alarm bells.

Can you all tell me your experiences with version 4.6? I hate to change and of course, will put the 4.5 files (copy) in an external hard drive for backup, but another question is- is it possible to have two versions? The DIM goes to another directory path (sorry, hope I am using the right terms there) and I could use the DIM with v4.6 (and Genesis 2) and still have version 4.5 where it is? Or am I dealing with a huge amount of memory there?

Just not technical at all, as you well know. I did buy the Genesis 2 and Victoria 6, THEN read it was version 4.6 and it doesn't do well in 4.5 (the character had dark black circles under the eyes.

I didn't convert until yesterday...the installation went well and I haven't struck any issues so far with DS4.6 (fingers crossed it will stay that way.)

I just ran the installer didn't have to do anything flash and I also installed it to a different drive than I had it on previously. I had been expecting problems which is why I hadn't done it earlier.

edited December 1969

Just wanted to say I switched over last night and no issues at all. It's just like downloading and installing a product- don't know what I was expecting but I was like- "that was IT?" I did not redo anything- the essentials, any products, nada. Everything working fine but I have only done basic things like opening figures, hair, etc.

edited December 1969

Well, I spoke too soon. I had my computer on (sleep) so when I shut it off today and turned my computer back on, 4.6 took forever to come on board, and it will not render AT ALL. What needs resetting? It says optimizing images and just stays at 0%

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Novica. I never had 4.5 and 4.6 both running. Not sure what you mean. But For me all I did was Uninstall Genesis Starter (Used DIM) then uninstalled CMS (so it would update also) Then Installed DS4.6 OVER DS4.5. Then I used DIM after I set it to DS4.6 only to install Genesis Starter and That updated the files to the newest of the New. I then Imported Metadata and was done. Everything works and I get no errors.

edited December 1969

Oh no- that's not what I said. You were in 4.6, and I believe you were helping someone in the new users contest and when you went to assist them, it either gave you grayed out results or was grayed out. I saw it just today- I think it was the June new user contest. Let me read what you just wrote real quick, be back in a few. I reinstalled and am seeing if that worked. When I installed it, it worked fine all day yesterday, last night, and today- my computer only went to sleep. But the minute I turned it off, I noticed the 4.6 was sluggish in coming on- and renders do nothing.

edited December 1969

Things are opening fast- I am trying a render.

edited December 1969

Well, good news bad news. Things lag behind. When I click to select a color, for instance, it lags then open ups the color palette. I am rendering though, and its quick. Thanks Jaderail, as usual.

BTW, Here's the post- I found it.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23114/P90/#351271

edited June 2013

OH!! I meant for me I forgot to LOAD the TEXTURE into all the UBER Area Light channels. I did not add the Diffuse texture to ALL the Color channels for Area lights so It was washed out in my test renders. I should have said go read Szarks tutorial, (think it was not posted at that time) but if your getting LAG as you work I can find that info. Is a setting. I would post now but (DS4.6) is not my first choice. I use DS3A mostly. All these tips I give for 4+ I learn as I go too.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I only switched to 4.6 because of stupid Genesis 2- and I am regretting it frankly. It is SO laggy that I can not click on a figure and move it- at all. There is a five to eight second delay before the character moves. What can I do to get rid of the lag?

Do I need to uninstall the essentials? (and where are they- I dont have anything labeled that in program files.) Should I do something with the content management?

edited December 1969

OMG- THIS IS HORRIBLE!
    My figure (Cassini) is standing way in front of an Opus Magnum bookcase. (What in real life would be several FEET) When I rotate her, every thing on the shelves (tucked back) GOES THROUGH HER HEAD AND HAIR.

How the heck do I get this stupid 4.6 version fixed? What files are supposed to be where, how do I get this fixed?

I have to get some sleep but I'll check back in tomorrow. Everyone enjoy that huge moon in a few hours- before dawn it will glow orange. You should be able to see it well Jaderail- we've got clear skies down here in the deep south. If you have any ideas, I'll read them in the morning. I need to know what program files are supposed to be where and where exactly the essentials are located so I can tackle this. I have installed twice. All 4.5 files are located elsewhere-external hard drive, not in C directory at all.

cassiniHair.jpg
    785 x 1483 - 120K
    edited June 2013

LOL! Umm.. Novica, thats the ITEMS showing through the HAIR transparency maps. You Notice the HEAD is still solid? It just means that your GPU (Graphic Processor Unit/Card) is doing real time Trans Maps in DS4.6 instead of OpenGL sort of versions. As long as your Renders look right ignore the Trans Maps. They do act weird.

Content? Just keep the Folders you have and MAP them the same in DS4.6. It was done auto when I installed 4.6 over 4.5.

EDIT: What WAS that grey un-mapped item anyway?

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited June 2013

Um, well this is weird. I rebooted the computer to see if that would help the lag (even though I had just reinstalled v4.6) and now where that thing was on the shelf, there is nothing. It was a squarish white vase/container, if I recall. It is the Opus Magnum bookcase full of stuff.

I really, really can NOT work with this version if it is going to lag so horrendously when you click on the figure to move it. Using Parameters is only for fine tuning for me- I am very good at maniupulating the figure with click and pull. When I click and pull on her, there is a five to eight second OR MORE delay. I reinstalled the essentials just to be sure it wasn't that- and no change. And having objects disappear is just weird. I clicked on every single jar/bottle, and it is jar 5_1 and it is INVISIBLE when I move it.

This version is wonky.Don't know what I can do to fix it, will probably reinstall my 4.5 as I always keep a copy of the old version. And put v.6 on a spare computer. There is NO reason for it to work fine when first installed, then when I shut the computer off and reopen, for it to lag and make things disappear. Nothing was done to that jar- NOTHING. If anyone wants to try the opus magnum set and see if it does it for them, then we have the need for a bug report. But since my character won't behave either, I don't think it's the set.

Totally exasperated.

EDIT: The blank spot on the upper shelf behind her head is where the jar was.

cassinihair2.jpg
    1385 x 1091 - 158K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Lag in working with a clothed figure is often due to smoothing. Either strip her down until you're done posing, or turn smoothing off until you are ready to render.

Whether that much lag is normal I couldn't say, though...it depends on your computer and on the scene. I'm not sure about the issue with Opus Magnum...if I owned it I would take a look, but alas it's still sitting on my wish list.

edited December 1969

Lag in working with a clothed figure is often due to smoothing. Either strip her down until you're done posing, or turn smoothing off until you are ready to render.

Whether that much lag is normal I couldn't say, though...it depends on your computer and on the scene. I'm not sure about the issue with Opus Magnum...if I owned it I would take a look, but alas it's still sitting on my wish list.

We are posting about the same time, lol- see next comment. Stripping her down is not an option as the clothes are part of the pose process- and I just can't get the image of what I want to do with a naked lady, lol.

You came in with the answer about the time I was checking out smoothing- because I had to do that with the robe- it is tricky- and it was the smoothing.

edited December 1969

Still can't explain that jar disappearing though- I have moved the x, y, z, and the Universal tool cube moves and shows me where the thing is "at" but it isn't there- totally invisible. You'll love the Opus Magnum set (am doing a review on it, that's what started this entire thing) and you get tons of bottles, jars, etc- the set is huge and chocked FULL of goodies. Everyone get it on the wish list if you don't have it!

And thanks Scott-L. If I hadn't figured it out by sheer coincidence, you would have been a godsend!!!! I thought of it only because I am NOT a fan of the robe, it took so much tweaking and collision that was why I remembered it.

edited December 1969

I have an Idea about the set, but like Scott do not have it to test. If the Jar loaded with a Poser Shader that is not supported in DS now it would just disappear. It's a known issue for some Older Content.

As I say I'm not able to test this myself.

edited December 1969

Besides smoothing one thing I did that seemed to have helped my lag was to adjust the Display Optimization setting in preferences.

Edit->Preferences->Interface-Display Optimization to Best.

I seem to see more lag with certain objects, any time I add one of the new motorcycles my viewport bogs down. I know it's basically see through in places until I render it, does that mean it's "transmapped"? If so maybe it's OpenGL with transmapped objects that's causing the issues.

edited June 2013

Sisca said:
    Besides smoothing one thing I did that seemed to have helped my lag was to adjust the Display Optimization setting in preferences.

Edit->Preferences->Interface-Display Optimization to Best.

I seem to see more lag with certain objects, any time I add one of the new motorcycles my viewport bogs down. I know it's basically see through in places until I render it , does that mean it's "transmapped"? If so maybe it's OpenGL with transmapped objects that's causing the issues.

Thanks Sisca, I'll check that- I'm in the middle of a render so can't mess with it at the moment. If you folks want to see the Opus Magnum bookcase and the goodies in it, (RENDERED) go to my art studio thread (signature) and check out the image. The jars have detailed labels and are awesome- I did a screenshot of the items listed- so many!- and I'm going to be doing more of the set as the night progresses. Doing full renders though and it takes awhile for even one. This is a great set!

After this render is done, I'll check those settings. What exactly is the Display Optimization- how things look in the viewport?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2013

Jaderail said:
    I have an Idea about the set, but like Scott do not have it to test. If the Jar loaded with a Poser Shader that is not supported in DS now it would just disappear. It's a known issue for some Older Content.

As I say I'm not able to test this myself.

BTW, love "Fire Fight" and "You Talking To Me?" over in your Deviant Art gallery. EDIT: And the Alone one is so sad- caught the emotion wonderfully. Of everything, do you have a favorite?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    ...After this render is done, I'll check those settings. What exactly is the Display Optimization- how things look in the viewport?

I have no clue, I would look it up in the manual but...

I was looking for settings that might improve performance and went into Properties. Being a long time gamer I'm used to clicking things in the display sections of programs to see what effect they have. Adjusted this from None to Better and it seemed a bit more responsive so I bumped it up to best. Turning the Texture slider below it all the way down to performance didn't seem to impact things though.

edited December 1969

BTW- that interface setting was NONE. Was yours when you loaded Version 4.6?

edited December 1969

Yes was set to None but I changed it to Best I believe it is - whatever the third choice was.