Lion Support?

DeegDeeg Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Has anyone heard if there will be a Lion OS patch or update for Carrara 8?
I've recently updated to Lion and found that I can run it on Lion, but it won't remember the serial number,
so the SN would have to be entered every use.

I'm using the Beta for now.

Thanks,

DG

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is an Apple store issue, not Carrara. Somewhere in your preference or user settings is the option to run programs that were NOT downloaded through the Apple store. Your settings are currently "run once" or similar....

• DeegDeeg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Holly,
    I showed your post to our resident Mac Whisperer, he got it working. All I know is that it had something to do with a root user account.
    Sorry I can't explain it clearly, all that stuff is beyond me.

Thank you for your help.

DG

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

HA! good. I couldn't remember the details, but glad it got you close enough to solve the issue... :D

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I really wish Apple would stop implementing security crap like Windows. You'd think they'd get a clue from all the Windows users bitching about the constant administrator and serial number issues. Carrara isn't the only software that uses a serial number, you'd think there would be rioting in the streets eventually. Not a dig at Windows per se, just a dig at companies that think they know what's best for me, and burying the solution to make it difficult to solve.

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited June 2013

DG426 said:

All I know is that it had something to do with a root user account. Sorry I can't explain it clearly, all that stuff is beyond me.

For anyone looking for the explanation it was covered here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16663/

FYI...
    Same goes for Mountain Lion (10.8).

Post edited by TGS808 on
  • DeegDeeg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GigaShadow,
    Thank you for posting the link. That's great. I'm sure it will help a lot of people out.

DG

• Blank_CanvasBlank_Canvas Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

This is an unacceptable issue.

I refuse to create the Root user on my computer just to bypass a poorly written serial number subroutine. This had better not be an issue with 8.5.

Blaming this on Apple is incorrect. I have many apps that happily take their serial numbers without requiring Root access. Even DAZ|Studio has never required Root access (nor earlier versions of Carrara).

I know it is too late to fix it for 8.1 but 8.5 had better be released without the need for Root to enter the serial.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I'm on a Mac, but not C8 as of yet. Judging by the threads I see, this is not just a Mac issue. I believe Windows 7 users have nearly this same issue with the administration permissions and the password.

Finally! We Mac users have "feature" parity! Yay?!? ;-)

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Shon said:
    This is an unacceptable issue.

I refuse to create the Root user on my computer just to bypass a poorly written serial number subroutine.

It's called a "work around".

And it's perfectly acceptable.

It would take you less time to set up the root user account, launch Carrara, and then deactivate the root user account than it did for you to write the post explaining why you "refuse" to do it.