Genesis 1 or 2?

Bobby.RyanBobby.Ryan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

A few days ago I downloaded and installed DAZ 3D Studio 4.6 and I'm seeing talk about Genesis 1 and 2 and I can't seem to find out which one I have. How can I find out which version I have? Also, will all of the content that's available from DAZ 3D work on both Genesis 1 and 2? I'm new to this and I see most content will specify Michael 4 and Victoria 4.2, But I'm also seeing newer stuff that's for Michael 5 and Victoria 6. Will the respective content for older Michael work with the newer Michael, and the same thing with the different Victorias? I'm finding a lot of the content I like for Michael 4 and I'm concerned about it working with Michael 5, and also if that stuff will work with Genesis 1 & 2 (if have Genesis 2).

Thanks---Bob Ryan.

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Daz studio comes with Genesis, Genesis 2 and Victoria 6 has just been launched but is only a female, the base female and a Genesis 2 starter essentials package should have been added to your downloads.
    Victoria 4 and Michael 4 came before Genesis.
    Stuff from Genesis 1 will not work with Genesis 2, although there are add ons you can purchase to help convert clothes and textures the clothes conversion is far from satisfactory. Texture from V5 need to be converted to DUF before they can be used on V6, but there aren't that many around anyway.
    M4 clothing can work on M5 when converted via autofit, but its not always 100% successful, character packs the texture will work but the morphs won't unless you use GenX to transfer them and you will need the M4 Morphs ++.
    If its clothing if you link to the things you are interested in I might have them and can show you how well they will convert.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 was just released today so unless you've gone into your product library or the Daz Install Manager and downloaded it you've got Genesis 1.

Genesis 1 is the base figure used for all of the Gen5 characters (Victoria 5, Michael 5 etc). Genesis 2 Female is the base figure for Victoria 6, also just released today, and Genesis 2 Male will be the base for Michael 6 when they release at some point in the future.

You should be able to use most clothing and other items designed for M4 with Genesis 1 using the autofit tool that's built into Daz. It works pretty well for most things but shoes are very hit or miss though that's less likely to be an issue with the male shoes than it is with the female.

Character models and morphs can be used with Genesis 1 with an addon called GenX to transfer them. The actual skin textures for V4 and M4 can be used as is for the most part.

You can also still purchase the base M4 and V4 figures and use them in the current version of Daz if you prefer. Many of the more prolific Daz artists are still using V4/M4 for the majority of their renders.

If you're just starting out I strongly recommend that you check out the Freepozitory and the lists of freebies available. You can find quite a bit for Genesis, V4/M4 as well as many of the older figures. This will allow you to create some quite nice renders without having to spend a ton of many just to get basic clothing.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

So Genesis 2 series will no longer be a 1 figure does all the way Genesis 1 was? There will be one male and one female with their own separate morphs and clothing lines?

I thought that was the whole awesomeness of the Genesis line was that you had a greater degree of compatability. Girls could be boys and boys could be girls it was a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world except for Genesis.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

So Genesis 2 series will no longer be a 1 figure does all the way Genesis 1 was? There will be one male and one female with their own separate morphs and clothing lines?

I thought that was the whole awesomeness of the Genesis line was that you had a greater degree of compatability. Girls could be boys and boys could be girls it was a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world except for Genesis.

I suspect DAZ has no plan to phase out Genesis 1 just for that reason.

Genesis 2 has a higher polygon count. By having a separate male and female base, they can have morphs that look more realistic for male and female body shapes. Some of those extra polygons are in the face, elbows, knees, hands and feet. Those will probably be very similar in male and female. I suspect the chest and lower torso shape will be different on the two base figure, so that they start closer to a real body shape and have to morph less. That should result in more realistic character shapes.

I actually think both Genesis 1 and 2 will have their uses going forward. Genesis 2 is mainly for foreground characters where you want more detail and better control over facial expressions. Genesis 1 can be used for background characters and the other unique shapes only available for Genesis 1.

edited December 1969

I really liked being able to mix and match the morphs though to create gender blended characters. Plus things like my zombie morph could be applied to either the male and the female universal morph. With Genesis 2 I will now have to create separate morphs for male, female, and presumably child at some point in the future.

I am really going to miss the all in one versatility of the Genesis figure which I think was its biggest advantage. I hope they don't phase out the Genesis 1 figures. It had great backwards compatibility and was very versatile for clothing and morph creation.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

the most advantage of Genesis 2 are in creating content for the male and female characters like for example clothing that will bend and fit better the separate male and female characters as you can create it now specific for the different shapes what was little pain before having just the neutral base and the need of reverse deformation that cost so much work to fix the clothing after rigging , so that is total improvement . With genesis 2 we going backward of the concept but that is so much better for everyone the users and creators , I wish they did this in first place it would be so much easy , but as always better late than never !

edited December 1969

I hope they at least created a Genesis 2 neutral male and female morph for the Genesis 1 figure so that we can get at least refit the clothing and props we've made for the Genesis 1 figure so they'll work on the Genesis 2. I was in the middle of designing a clothing set for the Genesis 1 figure and now I feel a bit like the rug has been pulled out from under my feet. If Genesis 1 is going to be phased out then all that work will have been for nothing.

edited December 1969

Although overlaying the two figures one on top of the other it doesn't look like there's going to be a lot of trouble refitting clothing until you get to the arms.

It's a pity they had to change the pose of the character since this is going to cause problems retrofitting shirts and gloves.

Boots, pants, skirts, torso and even hat and hairs will probably work okay with minor tweaking to the mesh but anything long sleeved or hand related won't work at all.

And on a side note. The two figures over layed on one another makes a cool looking superhero body suit.

I am GENESIS WOMAN!!!!

gen_1_and_2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 127K
    edited December 1969

It would have been nice too if they kept the pose so that Genesis 2 would at least be backwards compatible with Genesis 1 poses. In fact this character is such a departure from the Genesis system that I wonder why they even bothered calling it Genesis at all.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It would have been nice too if they kept the pose so that Genesis 2 would at least be backwards compatible with Genesis 1 poses. In fact this character is such a departure from the Genesis system that I wonder why they even bothered calling it Genesis at all.

The Genesis 1 poses I've tried work fine on G2F.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

They work with some minor tweaking.

edited December 1969

Yeah the poses work until you get to the extremities of the arms then they need tweaking.

I just noticed it does have the autofit compatibility with Genesis 1 so hair and clothes will work. I just tried out my Sci Fi bikini and the MakeHuman Long2 hair on it and it seems to fit pretty well.

Has anyone tried Genesis gloves out on it?

I guess I can finish up my current Genesis projects at least and have them work on the new figures. I'm not going to enjoy having to create separate morphs for male, female, and presumably child figures. Maybe I'll just stick to Genesis 1 for all my fantasy creature needs and use Genesis 2 strictly for human only characters.

genclothing_test.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 185K
    edited December 1969

Gloves and clothing from Genesis 1 working just fine on Genesis 2 female , I just tested my clothing and gloves , no problem and fit perfect , also while posing .. :)

edited December 1969

The expressions included with the Genesis 2 figure are nice though. Really great assortment of ready made expressions so you don't have to spend as much time tweaking the individual facial sliders. That's very handy.

I don't suppose there's a possibility they'll come up with some utility to transfer morphs between the different figures so that I can still only make one Zombie morph ect.

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Gloves and clothing from Genesis 1 working just fine on Genesis 2 female , I just tested my clothing and gloves , no problem and fit perfect , also while posing .. :)

Whew. This is good to hear. So even if Genesis 1 is phased out people will at least be able to use my clothing items on the new Genesis 2.
    Although as others have stated, I hope they don't phase out Genesis 1 as its still very useful for some things.

• Bobby.RyanBobby.Ryan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If I download and install Genesis 2 does it replace Genesis 1 or do both versions stay within DAZ 3D Studio 4.6?

---BR---

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

No it doesn't replace it. Its a separate figure

edited December 1969

it is slow transition to better figures and a good idea , the concept of original Genesis is lost here , but still very versatile and for many creators it will be much easy to create better content especially clothing and accessories , and in the next months there will be so much content for the new figures that everyone will start to drop Genesis 1 slowly as usual , let's focus on the future :)

Mec4D said:

Whew. This is good to hear. So even if Genesis 1 is phased out people will at least be able to use my clothing items on the new Genesis 2.
    Although as others have stated, I hope they don't phase out Genesis 1 as its still very useful for some things.

edited December 1969

WOW! Genesis clothing even fits when you have the breast side cranked to the max with nipples on. Impressive.

edited December 1969

WOAH! Genesis 2 adds morphs to hair!!! This is really cool. It also adds a global expansion morph to any of the clothing. This is the MakeHuman Long2 hair added to the Genesis 2 female. It has no shaping morphs native to it.

That's cool.

hair.jpg
    794 x 612 - 83K