Super Slow Rendering! AUGH!

libbishlibbish Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in New Users

I'm trying to render my image, but whenever I try to put it to the highest quality, it wont render it. I left the house for 3 hours with the rendering at 1%, and when I came back, it hadn't moved an inch. I know it takes a while if you want the best quality, but I don't think it should take that long! Do I need to set up my computer in a different way? I am new to this, so any advice will help :)

Post edited by libbish on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,701
    edited December 1969

You went to three houses? or is your computer in three houses?

Okay what are the specs of your computer?

• libbishlibbish Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I meant hours :b It's a toshiba laptop; satellite C655D; AMD C-50 Processor; 3.00GB RAM; 64-bit operating system; windows 7

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2012

That sound similar to what I have. Good quality renders take me anywhere from about 1 hour to over 24 hours, depending on the scene (this is in DS4 with 3Delight--not Reality and LuxRender).

What is your scene like? Do you have a lot of different people (with hair)? Do you have many plants or other transmapped objects? What lighting are you using? What is the shading rate (under Render Settings)? And what is the image size?

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • libbishlibbish Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There's hardly anything in the scene since I'm still figuring out how to use the software. It has one person with hair. It says my shading rate is at 1.00. My pixels are set at 650 X 550. Lighting is UberEnvironment2 bounce

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

UE 2 and Hair take a very long time to Render. The hair has a transparancy map for each layer of the hair, the lighting has to calculate the shadows and everything for the hair as it goes. This can take a very long time. If it is a close up with the hair filling a large part of the image it will really take some time for your computer to do the calculations. You might even run out of memory if you do not have enough free memory for the calculations and the image to be plotted as it goes.

• michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

I don't have any fancy lighting sets for DS but if you have clothing on your character, anything that is covered by clothing turn off the visibility. It takes a little pressure off when rendering.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Don't use the Uber bounce - it will take forever - the basic Uber is more than adequate.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2012

You might try--just to test things out--getting rid of the Uber light and using something simple like:

a Distant Light at 30% intensity that casts no shadows
    a Spotlight from the top right (position 60,200,100, Xrot –20, Yrot 30) set to 70% intensity, Raytraced Shadows with 60% Shadow Softness

(this lighting formula taken from: http://greywulf.net/tag/tutorial/)

It won't look as good, but it should render much faster...and if it doesn't, you'll know there's some problem not related to the lighting.

My computer has 3GB RAM and can render scenes with multiple characters with hair and UE2 lighting...but as stated previously, it can take up to 24 hours or even longer. Since your shading rate is 1.00 I wouldn't expect it to take quite so long, though (I generally use either 1.00 or 0.2).

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

libbish said:
    There's hardly anything in the scene since I'm still figuring out how to use the software. It has one person with hair. It says my shading rate is at 1.00. My pixels are set at 650 X 550. Lighting is UberEnvironment2 bounce

As others have said, don't use Bounce mode without auxiliary lighting and a lot of patience.

When you say your Pixels are set at 650x650, do you mean your render dimensions are 650x650 or do you have Pixel Samples X/Y each set to 650?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited June 2012

This image, at this size rendered in 18 hours on a 32 bit system with 3 GB of Ram, Dual Core

One Uber Spot set the Raytraced Shadows with a light gel (blinds)
    Uber Enviroment set to Indirect Lighting with soft shadows Set at the Standard highest 4X preset. Normally when using IDL I would drop the Uber shading rate down to 1 or even down to .10.Doing that adds another 12 to 24 hours or so to the render.

Here are my UberEnviroment settings and Advanced render settings used for this image. Plus since I am using DOF (Depth of Field) I increased the Pixel Samples x and y to 16. The more blurring the higher these go, 20 being about the max.

valBest.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 318K
    renderset.jpg
    400 x 854 - 210K
    Uber.jpg
    446 x 834 - 158K
    Post edited by Szark on