DAZ 4.6 Crashes

knightedfelineknightedfeline Posts: 29
edited December 1969 in New Users

Not for sure if this is the place for this, so here goes.

Using DAZ 4.6 I tried to render an already made scene (ready to render-dragon slayer) changing only a few minor things (render settings, camera to 135mm lens, getting rid of one light, changing the color of two, adding a point light, and then changing the camera angle).

I'm using vista, 2gig ram.

Overall this has crashed three times, once after making the changes, once going into the render, the third during the render.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is almost certainly a memory related problem. 2GB of RAM leaves very little for the program to use, since the OS uses a fair chunk of that as well. Just before you render, go to the Task Manager, and see what memory is being used, that should tell you if you have enough memory left or not.

You could try rebooting, loading DS4.6, then load the scene, and immediately try to render it, that may help to free up memory.

The other thing you can try, is deleting parts of the scene, like lights, or items which do not appear directly in the scene, and see if it renders without crashing.

• knightedfelineknightedfeline Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

I would have thought it memory too, if it stopped the same place each time. So I went ahead and rebooted before the second and third times.

This last time when I tried it no problem. It used 100% of the CPU (which I expected) and max of 1.68 gig of ram. Also this was the seventh of image I had rendered in about five days. I was using Bryce for five of those images and Daz for the others. Mind you the sixth was using DS4.5.

• Harry_2964Harry_2964 Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I too encountered random crashes using a camera. I have 16 GB Ram. And I use Windows 8.

edited December 1969

Noobisher: Were you using an older file/scene/character/whatever with these crashes? I've noticed that every new version of DAZ seems to have problems with older content.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Noobisher said:
    I too encountered random crashes using a camera. I have 16 GB Ram. And I use Windows 8.

See if you can isolate a way of repeating it -- I've heard several people having weird problems on Win8. Also, make sure Progressive Rendering is unchecked in the render settings -- that can burn through RAM.

• Harry_2964Harry_2964 Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Noobisher: Were you using an older file/scene/character/whatever with these crashes? I've noticed that every new version of DAZ seems to have problems with older content.

No. I was only using content installed through DAZ3DIM.
    The error often occours when switching to the camera view.

edited December 1969

That would make sense. I messed with my camera and that's when mine started to fail. Maybe it's something they should be looking into here? It may not happen in all systems, but it may be something that only happens in certain percentages.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited December 1969

first, i thought all happy that 4.6 didn't present any problems.. but then after what, 2 weeks..
    ok, i already stated in other threads about rendering etc, that my system barely met the requirements: netbook with int. chipset ->

ASUS 1001PX
    Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
    1.66GHz x2 CPUs
    1024MB RAM
    Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

BUT, once i was told to deactivate progressive rendering, and occasionally switched the light view off, i could work on simple scenes, and render smaller pics. as long as i didn't overload the scene, IT WORKED.

well, since 4.6, my prog crashes all the time, as it would suddenly need much more memory or be a lot more instable than 4.5 - scenes which worked fine before even with 2 genesis visible and the lights on crash now with all genesis invisible, lights off, background off. and i even recently got the "clean undo stack script" to get rid of superfluous textures... nothing helps.
    i knew before than due to my miserable system i was quite limited, so i created simple little scenes with simple lighting and still had fun creating and watching my little renders!
    now, with the same scenes, i really feel how bad my specs are (or how unstable this version is???), and when even the simplest scenes stay for 5 seconds "not responding" at every step and crash as soon as i touch anything i shouldn't (?), or render... ~not much fun left :((
    besides i've got the feeling that this happens with new scenes as well: i tested new stuff i bought after 4.6, and just changing some textures or trying out a bunch of items (new scene every time) made it crash too. i can't compare with "before" since i hadn't tried those products with 4.5, but i never had this kind of problems before while barely testing new items/textures. but i can't be positive about this since some of the new items might be much more demanding themselves (dystopia blocks, mil enviro, streets of asia..)
    funny is, as i looked at the tech specs page before installing 4.6, in case there was a change, there was still the old page with info about "daz 4", and no mention of an increase in memory need or whatever.
    as a side note and offtopic - looking at the awful garish pic on the splash screen makes the un-fun start even... before the prog starts (ok, i can & do look where else ~). in short -> *whine whine whine*, not very happy with 4.6 :(

edited December 1969

I am absoulutely amazed that you can run Windows 7 AND DAZ Studio on a sytem with 1 GB RAM, let alone render anything.

You must look at ways of improving your RAM, or using much less demanding software. I was running Win 7 64 bit on 8 BG of RAM, and I upgraded to 16 GB and really noticed the difference in performance.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited December 1969

I am absoulutely amazed that you can run Windows 7 AND DAZ Studio on a sytem with 1 GB RAM, let alone render anything. You must look at ways of improving your RAM...
    oh it sure did work! not best-elite-summit, but kinda ok. though well.. i'd buy a new system any time - if i could afford it. enhancing RAM on a netbook won't cost much less money & trouble i guess, and the chip is junk anyway.

... or using much less demanding software. I was running Win 7 64 bit on 8 BG of RAM, and I upgraded to 16 GB and really noticed the difference in performance.

less demanding.. *sigh*.. i had been enviously ogling DAZ for months thinking it wouldn't work on my toy-pc until i tried it eventually, and i was amazed too & so gleeful to see it did work, at least for little projects ~ giving this up now would really really chop a chunk off my daily fun :/ - also, i hope this 4.6 stress can be fixed so it works as 4.5 did ~ until i can buy a decent pc and do decent work worth showing ^^
    edited December 1969

Good luck, I hope you are able to use it.

Best wishes.