Old Private Messages?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm totally stupid... I should have thought that messages would have been lost but it NEVER OCCURRED TO ME.

I wish I had backed up those messages, or at least the NAMES of people. AUGH.

I had a couple very important messages saved with some agreements with people and now cannot access them.

Is there any way to get them?

I mean, I know its probably not possible...but worth asking.

Can't believe I never thought of it.....oh man. :(

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

This is not an official answer, but I would imagine that there is no way that PMs can be retrieved now, because the beauty of a PM system is that the messges are indeed Private, no one can access them.

THere was a thread discussing this issue in the old forum, and it was strongly reccomended that any PMs that you need should be backed up.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I'm totally stupid... I should have thought that messages would have been lost but it NEVER OCCURRED TO ME.

I wish I had backed up those messages, or at least the NAMES of people. AUGH.

I had a couple very important messages saved with some agreements with people and now cannot access them.

Is there any way to get them?

I mean, I know its probably not possible...but worth asking.

Can't believe I never thought of it.....oh man. :(

Don't feel so bad.

I made the same mistake. I got so fixated on downloading many of my files before they all became zips, I forgot completely about my PMs.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

I also missed the information that we would lose our PMs. Probably got lost in the controversy over the changes to the Platinum Club ...

Rather frustrating as I was waiting for information on how to claim the prizes from a recent contest.

Considering I've been involved in forum system changes before, you'd think I would have realized PMs would be lost. But nooo ...

Of course, even if we'd been assured that out PMs would have been retained ... they would have been lost in this rollout.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

your not the only one, I did not think about it and I had some handy information sent to me in PM's that I had forgot to copy down oh well you live and learn.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited May 2012

The only things I suppose I regret not saving now that I think about it are maybe the very few, very brief, but yet very informative conversations I had with MallenLane when he eventually discovered my questions to him about certain topics.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Some of the PM's I had was granting the right for a PA to use pictures I took with my digital camera. <*sigh*> Well, I guess it isn't possible to get those back, but nevermind. Anyway, I'll send an email to the PA and grant the rights so there's no legal question of who's what or whatnot.

• SeacanyonSeacanyon Posts: 8
    edited May 2012

How do we access the new message system to check on a message recently sent? I've not found it yet.

Post edited by Seacanyon on
    edited December 1969

Look at the dark grey bar where it says how many times you've posted and your last visit. There's an icon with a PM in it, and beside that icon is the link to your PM-box.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Seacanyon said:
    How do we access the new message system to check on a message recently sent? I've not found it yet.

Hi Sea, good to see you.

Be aware that at the moment the sent box in the PM system is not working, so you can see messages sent to you, but have no way of checking if any you sent went through.

It has been logged in the bug tracker for website issues.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

I so totally did not see the dark blue "Private Message" on the so dark grey it's black bar.

But then ... I never did think that so dark grey it's black bar was a good color choice. Far better for it to be nearer the grey of the rest of the bars.

Look at the dark grey bar where it says how many times you've posted and your last visit. There's an icon with a PM in it, and beside that icon is the link to your PM-box.
  • SeacanyonSeacanyon Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

So, there i! is! Ty all. I utterly agree about the color scheme -- and hiya Ms. Cho!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

Yeah I lost a lot of important stuff...info for a commission, a picture I was making for someone.... details from someone else on how to achieve the perfect water settings in DS... a tutorial from someone else on converting clothing to genesis, and a lot more. I can't remember their names either!!! Arg. I have no way to contact them and its driving me up the wall!!!!

Also, do not like how daz PM notification emails now list the entire message in the email. :(

edited December 1969

It's easy to skip and miss it.

But I'd like to add that chohole had a better answer, as I browsed through the post and only read the few first words before I hit FAST REPLY and started typing..... :red:

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,699
    edited December 1969

There should be emails that come with each pm, but not everyone is getting emails I think.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Hi Sea, long time no see...

Like others I forgot to back up pm's and had permissions from a couple of people to write recipes for some shader networks. Guess I'll just have to contact the again.