Space Navigator - performance is erratic

RLSprouseRLSprouse Posts: 288
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

In DAZ Studio, my Space Navigator performs flawlessly. But I have just started learning Hexagon, and the Space Navigator acts very strange. I cannot dolly forward and back at all. Panning side-to-side or up-and-down is iffy and erratic.

Are there any settings or other steps I can take to make it work correctly?

~ Russ

Comments

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Space Navigator? Like moving from Mars to Venus, or do you mean Mr.Chekov?

Are you referring to camera movement, or actual movement of the object? what is the actual problem you're having? can you give some examples?

:8

• RLSprouseRLSprouse Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

Camera movement. Pushing forward and back does nothing. Side-to-side works most of the time. Up-and-down is very erratic. Twisting seems to work fine.

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Have you checked the shortcut editor? ALT+K

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You are using the four icons on the status bar to rotate, pan or zoom? and using it both ways, (1) holding your mouse over the icon while moving it, and (2) clicking the icon and getting a new cursor on the screen that you can move to manipulate?

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

hiker_1 said:
    You are using the four icons on the status bar to rotate, pan or zoom? and using it both ways, (1) holding your mouse over the icon while moving it, and (2) clicking the icon and getting a new cursor on the screen that you can move to manipulate?

He's trying to use his Space Navigator.
    http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacenavigator.html

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

In DAZ Studio, my Space Navigator performs flawlessly. But I have just started learning Hexagon, and the Space Navigator acts very strange. I cannot dolly forward and back at all. Panning side-to-side or up-and-down is iffy and erratic.

Are there any settings or other steps I can take to make it work correctly?

~ Russ

The 3D connexion space navigator code implementation is older in Hexagon vs Studio. Studio has newer code from connexion. I have been able to use mine after some serious tweaking but it still does not work as well as it does in Studio. This is one of the upgrades they may get to after they get a handle on the serious bugs the software has. I would suggest breaking out the manual and try making a Hex setting that works for you. If you don't feel like waiting I would suggest giving blender a try! The space navigator work great in the software and blender has great modeling tools and UV mapping.
    edited December 1969

The 3D connexion space navigator code implementation is older in Hexagon vs Studio. Studio has newer code from connexion. I have been able to use mine after some serious tweaking but it still does not work as well as it does in Studio. This is one of the upgrades they may get to after they get a handle on the serious bugs the software has. I would suggest breaking out the manual and try making a Hex setting that works for you. If you don't feel like waiting I would suggest giving blender a try! The space navigator work great in the software and blender has great modeling tools and UV mapping.

Thanks for your input. I do have Blender installed but so far I have been a little gun-shy about diving into it. Meanwhile, I'd love to know what settings you might suggest for Hex. I sure like the seamless integration with DAZ Studio, and I'm sure I can live with the less elegant Space Navigator implementation, especially if I can get it tuned up a bit. The key difference seems to be that in Hex, only one axis works at a time, so you have to keep stabbing at it to get the axis you want to work. Also, some of the axes seem to be excruciatingly slow. I thought about messing with the settings to make it respond better, but if you have some settings that work for you, that might save me a lot of fiddling. Thanks in advance!

~ Russ

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

Here are the setting I use note the last in increase the speed of pan up/down!

Settings_3.jpg
    658 x 630 - 82K
    Settings_2.jpg
    658 x 630 - 67K
    Settings_1.jpg
    659 x 631 - 66K
    edited December 1969

OK, that's simple enough! I think I will try increasing the speed of Zoom (forward and back) also as that seems horribly slow.

Thanks for your suggestions.

~ Russ