3D World Says DAZ Plans for Generation 6 in 2013 [UPDATE] Well, now it's here!

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

The really vital question though has to be: Does Genesis 2 Female load up with a pre-dialled belly button?

• edited December 1969

What if Genesis 2 keeps the same mesh but has a new and (hopefully) improved rigging? If so, couldn't you use all of the existing Genesis morphs and clothes, provided you use the Transfer Utility to re-rig them? This seems like the most sensible approach for a "new" base figure. The "why" still eludes me, though.I'm quite sure that the promotional materials will spell out the details once we get to see them. Today, possibly?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    The new Gwen hair product says it supports
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

If this one isn't FULLY backwards compatible, I just might have to slap somebody...

in the face...

with a chair.

I officially adore you! lmao!

Haha =D

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited June 2013

Hmmm, from all the reading and surmising I do have that question in my minds eye too... are there now going to be TWO Genesis figures and if so, WHY? Unless there are indeed built in genitals which would be fine, I can see allot of use for that. For the male it would give the morph folks more fun things to work with like "tuck" morphs rather than "bulge" morphs.

Does make me wonder though if the current Genesis will be updated to use Genesis 2 templates in case folks want their figures to be Intersexual. All very odd to me considering they just recently released D5 and a few other shapes.

I guess we shall see how this plays out. I hope DAZ is ready for a barrage of screaming mad end users! Of course that happens EVERY time they release a new figure! *laughs*

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited June 2013

Personally, I havent' even been able to buy ANY of the generation 5 characters.... I had a thought of trying to invest in D5 when this paycheck comes.. but now, I honestly have no idea what to do. I just dont know if it's worth it to invest in any generation 5 or just to wait and se what happens :/

/C

...same here, David3 was my favourite male figure as he had a much better physique and proportions even over M4 (same for Steph3 Petite/Steph4 over Vicky). Eagerly awaited a Gen4 update, but it never happened. Been mulling over David5 but never seemed to be in the position take advantage of a sale offer on the basic figure. When they released the David3 Body Shape for Genesis I was able to snatch it up at a good price and he still works just fine.

Now with all this talk of Genesis2 and Gen6 already I'm in the same boat concerning the other (some still not released) Gen5 characters especially since I have recently experienced a significant reduction in my income. Most likely I will be depending more on the "legacy" body shapes for Genesis that I have.

In my opinion, the figure bundles have become too expensive these days for what one gets. A lot of the time (especially with female characters) they include clothing content and characters I would rarely use (save for maybe the skin maps). The only Pro bundle that I actually found to be a good value (partly because I got it at a very good price) and get the most use from is the YoungTeens5 as none of the clothing was the usual Vicky skankwear, it included several nice pose sets, the hair styles & character, morphs/mats were appropriate for creating characters in that age bracket, and the big plus, the base figures were designed by Thorne/Sarsa who have always produced such nice more youthful and petite characters rather than just another "well endowed" supermodel or hunk.

It's too bad they were not asked to design Steph5 as well for I think she would have turned out much better. She is probably my most disappointing Genesis figure purchase, and one which I have yet to use because I find her more "voluptuous/butch" than "petite" and there were no special morphs included (like other Gen5 characters and the Gen4 version of Steph had), just the three basic body/head shapes.

...and again, if there are to be two distinct Male/Female Genesis figures, then I will stick with the original because that will totally destroy the whole elegance of Genesis as it will limit/eliminate cross gender/figure compatibility.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I'm all for advancements in technology but if Genesis 2 is not highly compatible with the original Genesis I might have to skip it. I've invested a lot of time and money getting setup with Genesis and I've just begun to produce a handful of renders I like. I can't justify another huge time and money investment until I get a good return out of what I already have. I assume many other users are in a similar situation and I hope DAZ is considering that as they work on future generations.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I hope there are a fair bit of base shapes included with genesis 2.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Based on past things... pretty sure that
    1) Genesis 2 can coexist with the current Genesis, just like current Genesis is cool with M4 and V4 being in your runtime at the same time
    2) Genesis 2 is likely to be free, just like current Genesis (not saying that it absolutely will be, who knows, but right now I'm enjoying the benefit of a free studio and free base figure and free this, free that, and I guess the "free system, paid content" keeps DAZ afloat pretty okay, so why change it...)

So eh, I'm not going to panic. I got toys right now. I don't plan to worry about future-toys-to-be.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Hmm. Wonder if the reason gen 5 figures have been so much on sale lately is because gen 6 is right around the corner.

edited June 2013

...OK, the skeptic that I am still fuels a bit of apprehension over future "free" software offerings which is based on:

1. 30 day Vouchers good on both PA & DO items and usable for multiple purchases (until used up), being replaced by restricted "use it or lose it" single purchase only coupons limited to either Daz Originals (most of which are made up of 1.99$/2.99$ items that are ineligible) or contingent on a set minimum purchase amount (usually 20$+)

2. Sales now having "prerequisites" (the "BOGO concept" as I call it). This year's March Madness, the "buy the featured item and get x% off on all related themed or PA's store items" sales, and the current spate of "stepped discount sales ("buy 1 at X%, buy 2 at &%, or buy 3 or more at Z%.") are examples of this strategy.

3. The Freebie Vault being closed.

4. Weekly/monthly freebies that are essentially no longer "free", requiring either purchase of another item (the "BOGO concept" again) or paid membership in the PC.

5. The recent expiration of other free software offerings including Hexagon2.5 which hasn't seen an update for something like five years.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

For those that are PC members there is now an official thread over in the Members Only forum!

edited June 2013

Hmm. Wonder if the reason gen 5 figures have been so much on sale lately is because gen 6 is right around the corner.

...when Genesis/Gen5 was "around the corner" the base Gen3 & 4 figures were being given away and the morph/texture expansions were offered at ridiculously low prices.

...even though I already have it, still waiting to see the YT5 Pro bundle on Fastgrab. They've been out for 6 months.

edited June 2013

...duplicate post

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

I suspect strongly that it's not a complete new character, but more like an upgrade, like Victoria 4.1. There's still so much possibilities with the Genesis after all.

And if so, I'm looking forward to more bodily versatility. Both when it comes to ethnical looks (we still can't get a real aboriginal nose for instance) and age morphs. The age morphs recently released for Genesis was a step in the right direction, but for someone interested in doing characters like dignified scientists and people running for office, the 20 y old default is quite demanding.

What I long to see is more abilities to make people, who's bodies tell stories... I want to make that buffed up woman and that disabled man, the war veteran without legs and the bent grandmother. Also real pregnancy morphs is still on my wishlist. (That is, not just the belly but the general swollenness your body takes at the end of the term)

Unfortunately this Candace character doesn't reveal much of what can be new IMO. She's just another Caucasian 20something. (And I still think West African Stephanie when I think Candace, but that's another story...) but some more versatile sneak peaks would be quite interesting.

We are finally getting to recieve a better wardrobe of real everyday clothes for Genesis, so more real world shapes would be something to die for as well.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited June 2013

RAMWolff said:
    ... are there now going to be TWO Genesis figures and if so, WHY? ...

Facial expressions.

They suck in current Genesis, and when they do... it's not pretty.... and... it's not an easy fix as there just aren't enough polys.

Other then that, some of the current 'fixes' will possibly be rolled in as they were with fixes from gen4 to genesis, and probably some skins/eyes/ etc... using new shaders...

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    I suspect strongly that it's not a complete new character, but more like an upgrade, like Victoria 4.1. There's still so much possibilities with the Genesis after all....

That's my guess too.

edited December 1969

.... except that wouldn't solve the facial problems...

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    RAMWolff said:
    ... are there now going to be TWO Genesis figures and if so, WHY? ...

Facial expressions.

They suck in current Genesis, and when they do... it's not pretty.... and... it's not an easy fix as there just aren't enough polys.

Other then that, some of the current 'fixes' will possibly be rolled in as they were with fixes from gen4 to genesis, and probably some skins/eyes/ etc... using new shaders...
    ...from what I've seen in the promos there doesn't seem to be much to convince me of any improvement. Most of the facial shots are basic portraits with pretty much the same bland "supermodel" expression. Where are the big toothy grins, the pouts, unbridled happiness, gut wrenching sadness, anger, concern, puzzlement, angst, etc, to show this?

And why must there be two different body shapes as well if it is just a matter of facial expressions? By doing this they kill the versatility and elegance of the Genesis concept. Why, if it's just an issue of not enough facial polys, can't Genesis still be "generic"? Men have a lot of expressions too (well I guess except for Daz males), and both genders do share facial traits with each other, (how do you explain family resemblance for example?). As I mentioned above, I often combine both male and female morphs/shapes (at times along with toon and ethnic) to create characters that have unique traits. I feel I do pretty well with facial expressions, shaping, and posing, thanks to not only the large palette of shape and pose morphs available, but several merchant resource kits as well.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

I am not liking what I read so far - bear in mind that I can only judge this from the non members threads. So ... from the sound of it we get a second figure that is not really compatible it seems? As some product already speaks about a bundle getting sold for both Genesis and Genesis 2.

If that is indeed the case, in my opinion, this is too early to split the market even further and I have my doubts that every item gets transferred (come to think of some geocrafting items for example). Genesis is not even close to where the generation 4 was before.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

to make you feel better, the members only forum has nothing but images of the content that is coming out, which is not surprising. Poses, more characters we don't need (because we have hundreds of thousands of those by now), and morph packs.

but I think there will be plenty of confusion even after it is launched, because no matter how they spin/sell it, many will feel a lot of things don't make sense.

Some vendors are saying they will support Genesis and Genesis 2, but we will see how that really pans out.

EDIT: Thinking about it, if you get Genesis 2, i guess you would need new characters :( Maybe not....but I haven't heard nor do I feel that you will be able to get away with simply upgrading your genesis characters to genesis 2. If that were the case then I wouldn't have any concerns at all. But I don't expect things to go that easily, never have.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

but I think there will be plenty of confusion even after it is launched, because no matter how they spin/sell it, many will feel a lot of things don't make sense.

Possibly related, don't forget what's happened many times whenever a completely new version of D|S comes out — the "program requirements" slot on the store page always shows whatever the new D|S version is, whether or not the product needs an update, or even works at all in the new D|S version. There have been many posts over the last year or so complaining that certain old plugins don't work in D|S4+, but they're still on sale. A repeat of this sort of confusion will not be pretty.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...And why must there be two different body shapes as well if it is just a matter of facial expressions? ...

Well I agree 100% about the facial expressions issue not needing two different body shapes. If they are coming out with separate male/female versions, I also agree it would be a step backwards. The only reason I can see for separate body shapes is marketing purposes (ie... sell more custom characters,) and if that's the case, it will backfire imo.

I don't know that facial detail is even a part of it, that was just me speculating. I know that if one looks at expressions for V4 at other stores, the facial expressions available are quite large, and they won't convert well to Genesis supposedly because of the lack of polygons to support them from what I've seen in various discussions about it. I have had an interest in this myself because part of creating a character is creating the quirky facial expressions that makes up a given character (actor/actress, etc...)

edited December 1969

...what is happening to the Daz that I knew and loved?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid, is this where I remind you about your previous reluctance of joining Genesis users, and then when you did, you were actually having bucketloads of fun? Can't you, y'know, just wait 'till next week when we're likely being told more before you hitch on gloom-and-doom wagon? :(

edited June 2013

Skiriki said:
    Kyoto Kid, is this where I remind you about your previous reluctance of joining Genesis users, and then when you did, you were actually having bucketloads of fun? Can't you, y'know, just wait 'till next week when we're likely being told more before you hitch on gloom-and-doom wagon? :(

...I already addressed this. I spent a lot from what was a "joke" of a "disposable Income" to step up to 4.x and Genesis which as I mentioned included building a new system that could support the core application. Now I just got to a point to where I can do some meaningful work with Genesis and *bang*, it's all worthless. Unlike when the original Genesis was released, I am now unemployed which means that my income has been severely crippled. I have no Idea when I will be able to earn anything that amounts to a "reasonable" income again as my skill set is more appropriate for a lovely 20 something gal instead of a 60 year old codger.

This is just hitting at the wrong time, especially after all I have done just to try and stay in step with the current advances. I'm not made of money and with the way things are where I live, I could easily find myself out on the streets once my unemployment benefits run out.

During these hard times, this is all I have to give me any sense of a feeling of worth or accomplishment.,

I am basically tired of getting "that close" to my dream only to have the rug pulled out form under me again.

apologies.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I already addressed this. I spent a lot from what was a "joke" of a "disposable Income" to step up to 4.x and Genesis which as I mentioned included building a new system that could support the core application. Now I just got to a point to where I can do some meaningful work with Genesis and *bang*, it's all worthless.
    PLEASE explain to me how a new figure mesh that is not even sold yet makes the content you do have suddenly worthless. I still use Gen3 and Gen4 figures along side my Genesis figures. None of my Gen's became worthless when Genesis1 was released. I'm lost as to why your looking at things this way.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid-
    Don't worry, there will be a LOT of us that are content to stay with Genesis, Gen 4, Gen 3- and the vendors aren't going to dispose of their money- making products- they won't be going anywhere. I've got no intention of NOT using all the stuff I've bought (and yet to get) that I really like and Genesis 2 won't affect anything I do. It won't affect you either- just enjoy what you've bought and stick with it, like Jaderail says- nothing has changed so far as the value of your products. It's what you DO with them that count.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I already addressed this. I spent a lot from what was a "joke" of a "disposable Income" to step up to 4.x and Genesis which as I mentioned included building a new system that could support the core application. Now I just got to a point to where I can do some meaningful work with Genesis and *bang*, it's all worthless.
    PLEASE explain to me how a new figure mesh that is not even sold yet makes the content you do have suddenly worthless. I still use Gen3 and Gen4 figures along side my Genesis figures. None of my Gen's became worthless when Genesis1 was released. I'm lost as to why your looking at things this way.

^----- This.

edited June 2013

Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...because everything will go the way of the new version just like it did when the original Genesis was introduced. None of the Genesis2 content will be compatible with Genesis "Classic", just as Genesis content was not compatible with Gen4. Based on the two items I've seen and the promos, I already know that. What this means is most likely new content development is already heading in the Genesis2 direction. When the original Genesis was released there was a sudden marked drop off of Gen 4 related content in the Daz store.

...and what of Studio5? Certainly from what I've seen of the requirements for Genesis2/Vicky6 (DazStudio 4.6+) it seems that 5th edition is not far behind.

...and like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have doubts that it will be "free". This is basically a kick to the gut for those of us on an extremely limited budget who in spite of the fact have already managed to made a hefty investment in this "hobby".

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Triax to Triax done been mentioned in one thread. So Genesis to genesis is what that say's to me. But in truth I'm waiting till DAZ says more before I get Happy or Mad. My money is dear to me too.