Porsimo's freestuff now on sharecg

scathascatha Posts: 756
edited December 1969 in Freebies

Just a heads up about one of our resident creators of excellent freebies, now obtainable through Sharecg:
http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=porsimo

Hope to see some new additions, Petri. :)

Comments

• PorsimoPorsimo Posts: 359
    edited December 1969

Thanks, John! :) I just noticed this thread.

Yeah, I've posted my stuff to ShareCG too, but it's the same old freebies that have been available at my site and Rendo freestuff for some time, nothing is updated.

Just FYI, I'm slowly updating my old transport ship on my spare time (a term I've heard somewhere, no idea what it means!) and I hope I can upload it in the not-too-distant future :)

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

I remember that one, Petri, can't wait to see the result especially after seeing what you've done with that awesome containership.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Awesome, I have many of your excellent items in my Runtime. The Cargo ship will play a major role in a up coming project. Love your Morphing Ground as well. It get's used to death by me.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Love your Morphing Ground as well. It get's used to death by me.
    yep mee too
    edited December 1969

Thanks! :)

To get to the same level as the cargo carrier I'd have to rebuild the whole ship from scratch, but that's not possible, unfortunately.

I've fixed the numerous n-gons and also tried to clean up the mess I once left behind, but there's just too much to do, so I've concentrated on the most blatant parts. I'm currently re-mapping it, because the original UV maps were just horrible! Naturally I'm going to re-texture and finally re-rig the whole thing.

But, in the end, it will still be rather ugly mesh with many odd shapes, a result of my bad modelling skill back then :)

edited December 1969

Porsimo said:
    But, in the end, it will still be rather ugly mesh with many odd shapes, a result of my bad modelling skill back then :)

It'll still be highly usable, even despite your so-called bad modelling skill, which is still better then my own.
    Perhaps you should consider doing a similar craft and start from scratch, mate. Show us what you can do. ;)

edited December 1969

scatha said:

Perhaps you should consider doing a similar craft and start from scratch, mate. Show us what you can do. ;)
    :D Actually I've had such plans for years now - and still have. Just haven't got it done :)

After this summer, when our youngest goes to the daycare (I've been taking care of him now while my wife's at work) and I can get some actual working hours (instead of the 1 or 2 I currently have per day!), I think I'm going to take a look at this. But! Unfortunately I'm most probably not able to do a project of this size as a freebie anymore - at least for a couple of years. :(

even despite your so-called bad modelling skill, which is still better then my own.

I wouldn't say so :) The ship looks ok overall, but when taking a look at the inside of the mesh or certain areas on the outside, it's a total mess. On the outside it's not clearly visible because of the scale and the small size of those areas (I've seen the scifi gun of yours and I can say its mesh is cleaner ;) ). I've fixed the most blatant mistakes, but those small parts I've left intact, because it would be just too much of work compared to the benefits. In Wings3D, Poser scale is so small it's not possible to zoom in to the small details and working with them is a total pain. I nowadays work with models in very large scale, so I can control the mesh by single vertices, and finally scale them down to the right size.
    edited December 1969

Porsimo said:
    scatha said:
    even despite your so-called bad modelling skill, which is still better then my own.

I wouldn't say so :) ... (I've seen the scifi gun of yours and I can say its mesh is cleaner ;) ).

Are you kidding me? O_O I'm very surprised to hear you say that. I wanted to do more of those, but unfortunately my graphics comp broke down. I've even considered doing a few vehicles (shuttles, small crafts) and it's bugging the hell out of me that I lack the income to fix it.

Time I have plenty of, for me it's the loss of income that has hit me hardest with the health issues.

edited December 1969

scatha said:

Are you kidding me? O_O I'm very surprised to hear you say that.
    No, I'm not kidding you :)

When making that ship, I tried so desperately keep the polycount down I ended actually unnecessarily increasing the polycount on some areas and creating a partially very ugly mesh. Lots and lots of very long and thin triangles (DS & Poser just hate them) and if they were any bigger, they would show really bad in both programs. Also while trying to prevent parts sticking through others I created some strange looking shapes causing more polygons of odd shapes too. Plus, there are some very messy parts because the neighboring area has way more faces than needed. As I now cleaned it, I could remove 2/3 of the faces and lots of odd triangles.

As I said, the model looks ok when looking the overall shape from distance. But, when zooming in to those greebles, you can see what I'm talking about. :) A rather clear example is those round vent-like things with "blades" on top of the ship: lots of small triangles pointing here and there and the other ends of the "blades" have actually sunken into the center part - even though each "vent" is a single mesh... And it took only few minutes to clean them now.

Maybe the "saddest" part is, that while the 71k polycount seemed very high, it is at the same level with the Gen4 figures, after all :)
    I wanted to do more of those, but unfortunately my graphics comp broke down. I've even considered doing a few vehicles (shuttles, small crafts) and it's bugging the hell out of me that I lack the income to fix it.

Time I have plenty of, for me it's the loss of income that has hit me hardest with the health issues.

I feel your pain :( These are just words, but if I only had any ways to help you... :/ I really hope things could get better for you!

PS. The reason I was constantly talking about triangles is that Poser and DS don't like them (especially those long and thin ones). You can't completely avoid them, but less is better :)

edited December 1969

For DS, I always try and stick to quads, but what you need to really watch out for are n-gons. (5 sided) It has become a habit to regularly search for those before saving the mesh and the handgun was a straightforward hexagon mesh. I had a lot of fun creating that and Tygerpurr offered to help with the textures on the dystopia forums. (Hence the signature cotton candy pink version) lol.

With the mainboard broken due to the cooler breaking off and the processor fried, all I can do is get an upgrade kit to fix the damage done. For me, that is a large investment, as it's more then what I get per month to live on (Approx $450) to get the PC running again. Just a real pain having all this spare time and having to keep myself busy not to go bonkers. Being able to model stuff would do just that.

edited December 1969

scatha said:
    For DS, I always try and stick to quads, but what you need to really watch out for are n-gons. (5 sided) It has become a habit to regularly search for those before saving the mesh and the handgun was a straightforward hexagon mesh. I had a lot of fun creating that and Tygerpurr offered to help with the textures on the dystopia forums. (Hence the signature cotton candy pink version) lol.
    :D
    I don't know about Hexagon, but Wings3D has a really handy hotkey (F5) for selecting n-gons. That has saved me from a lot of extra work! Maybe Hexagon has something similar? My oldest models (before I found that function) have lots of n-gons! :)

With the mainboard broken due to the cooler breaking off and the processor fried, all I can do is get an upgrade kit to fix the damage done. For me, that is a large investment, as it's more then what I get per month to live on (Approx $450) to get the PC running again. Just a real pain having all this spare time and having to keep myself busy not to go bonkers. Being able to model stuff would do just that.

Ouch! That isn't a small investment indeed - and not much for living either, for sure! O_o
    Maybe you could try some lightweight modelling program on your current comp?
    edited June 2013

My current compy runs on linux and is a mere dual core. :(

Hexagon has a similar function, but it takes an extra click.

Post edited by scatha on
    edited December 1969

Well, Wings runs on Linux too and requires only OpenGL or Mesa. It's pretty light, easy to use and it has become quite powerful too. It has also a very powerful, built-in UV editor.
    But, it's a pure box modeller so you're limited on working only with 3D objects .

I'd suggest to give it a try! :)
    http://www.wings3d.com/?page_id=84

edited December 1969

I'll look into it, thanks Petri. :)