HELP!! How do I Get V4 into Daz Studio Library?

JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I asked for help about 5 hours ago in the Daz Studio 4.6 release thread... but apparently no one has come in to see it...

Anyway. For some reason I can not figure out how to install V4 or M4 or anything that is "older" into the Daz Studio directory. It is insisting on putting it into the Poser Library directory and I can not seem to figure out how to move it.

I want to put V4 into the "People" Category with Genesis.... but it won't seem to let me. Can someone help me please?

Thanks,

Jaz

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Generation 4 (and I think below) will always be in the Poser side of the runtime. The only things that will be in the Daz Studio section will be DS compatible materials, poses, or character mats (and even then 9 times out of 10 the DS files are in the same folder as the Poser ones in the Poser runtime).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

I see... Ok, thanks for the quick response! :-) Guess I will try to figure out how I want to do this then...

Thanks again! :)

edited June 2013

A lot of people set up separate runtimes for each of the generations, or you could throw it all together and create user categories to separate out what goes with what generation ( the 2nd is the method I chose via a custom script by AMR- http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15192/ ).

edited December 1969

Well... I do have separate runtimes for all my stuff. So, V4 is already in her own folder and DS is pointed to it, but when I click on her.. I get a screen that says no metadata found and the power loader doesn't even come up.... But, if I just let the install manager install it... it will fix it so the meta data thing doesn't pop up and the powerloader thing is working, but I have stuff all spread out in the content library with the executive file is in the Poser directory but the materials I need get installed in the DAZ studio Directory....

*sigh*

How did they get those Poserey things like the Aikanaro and the Alchemy Chasm to sit nicely in the Daz Studio Library?? I'm confused.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Quick addition about V4 use the DIM to installer her.. V4 got updated to include MetaData recently, but the older stand alone installers were never updated to include the newer MetaData files.

edited June 2013

Well... I do have separate runtimes for all my stuff. So, V4 is already in her own folder and DS is pointed to it, but when I click on her.. I get a screen that says no metadata found and the power loader doesn't even come up.... But, if I just let the install manager install it... it will fix it so the meta data thing doesn't pop up and the powerloader thing is working, but I have stuff all spread out in the content library with the executive file is in the Poser directory but the materials I need get installed in the DAZ studio Directory....

*sigh*

How did they get those Poserey things like the Aikanaro and the Alchemy Chasm to sit nicely in the Daz Studio Library?? I'm confused.

I let DIM do all of my installing while DS is open. I have my application folders mapped as well as my runtimes. Everything goes in default locations, I then do a scan known directories for only new content, follow the blue highlights and categorize from there. Since I let DIM do my installing, I know I'm getting the most recent versions, and it tells me when there's an update. HOWEVER, not everything is set to use DIM yet, so be aware of products you own versus products listed/not listed in DIM.

V4/M4 install 2 sets of materials. One set is for Poser, which goes in the Poser runtime found in the folder where V4 is, the other set are DS materials for them which are installed to the Daz runtime. This is why I highly recommend categories. You can set V4 into a category with the DS version mats and you won't have to bounce between folders.

edited December 1969

Could you tell me how you are doing this cuz that is what I am having trouble with. I can't seem to figure out how to get the V4 stuff all into one library to use in DS.

edited December 1969

On DIM, click the coghweel icon in the upper right to get into the settings. Under the Installation tab, hit the + sign on the bottom to add the top level path to your libraries (ie mine are F:\Daz Studio\!!My Library and F:\Daz Studio\!!Environments), set "Install to Respective Installed Paths", and click accept.

On the Ready to Download tab on the main program, UNCHECK "Install after Download". On the Ready to Install tab, at the bottom, check Show Details on the bottom right. This will open up a drop down that allows you to select the libraries you mapped in the settings. Check the products you want in one, select the correct library, and hit Start Queue. Do that for each set of products you want in different libraries.

edited December 1969

Thanks Vaskania....will give this a go... *crossing fingers* :-)

edited December 1969

Good luck! =)

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I let the Installer install everything to it's default category, then I categorize everything using Studio. Works great for me.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Same here, Ledhead. KISS principle. Keeps my brain free for more important things and I'm a more pleasant person to be around.

Post edited by Dino Gramps on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

There is no (easy) way to get ALL V4 into one Folder (Hard drive) because the content comes in both Poser (V4 mesh) and DAZ Studio (DS textures, poses). The Base V4 files must be in a Runtime and the none Poser files default to the DS folders above the Runtime folder. That is the reason I use Categories in DS, I can make my own folder, place the content in it and find it. This method leaves the files in the default install locations and Can not/Will not break the content. I've used Category from DS3 on up to DS4.6. I put the content where I want it and the installers put it where it belongs and works properly. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited June 2013

I guess I'm still getting acquainted with things in DS...lol ...I should know how to use it by now, one would think....but last year... just totally sucked for me, and now that things are returning to a little bit of normal *crossing fingers* I'm trying to get things figured out in a lot of areas in my life... one of them is getting my content sorted!! (yikes!)

Anyway... Is this category thing easy to figure out? Can I find out how in the wiki or anything??

Today I'm still trying to figure out how to connect with the install manager... it doesn't seem to want to. (???)

Anyway....thanks for the tip.... now to see if I will remember what you said so I can figure out how to do it... you know, after... I get everything installed...LOL...

yeah... I have it figured out, huh??? LOL

Thanks again! :-)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited June 2013

DIM has been having issues today, so it's hit or miss atm. Categories are actually fairly easy, and the simplest way is to create yours OUTSIDE of the normal 'Default' category tree.
    Snowsultan is a very simple tutorial here: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Creating-Categories-in-DAZ-Studio-308244907

You can also right click entire library folders and create categories from them and their subfolders if you wish. Same method as Snowsultan describes, but you right click a folder instead of a separate item icon.

Items CAN be in multiple categories at once. Categories do not work without CMS running. Back up your user data every now and then by clicking the little paper icon on the content library tab > content db management > export user data (file saves to My Library\Runtime\Support). When you need to reimport metadata, be sure your Userdata file is also checked and that 'user data overrides default' is checked @ the bottom of the metadata import window.