V5 or not to V5

snowsnow77snowsnow77 Posts: 94
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I been pondering on whether or not I should purchase V5, the though of starting a completely new model (textures, clothing, character set) keeps me from making the leap! Anyone have helpful thoughts on V5. Is there any noticeable advantage's of using V5 over V4. I use Genesis more the V4 now days, another possible reason to get V5. Many looking for advice or opinions on V5.

Thanks for your help,
mj

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

IMO it depends what type of renders you enjoy doing. I started with Genesis, but I'm more into dark and fetish style stuff, which Genesis severely lacks products for so I've since went to V4 for those.

If you enjoy fantasy, real-world, sci-fi, etc. then V5 is perfectly fine.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

There is always the autofit tool. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I have read good things from some that use it, except when it comes to footwear and even then some have found a working way around that also.

• snowsnow77snowsnow77 Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Will autofit work for V4 to V5 clothing? It works pretty good for V4 clothing to be used on Genesis.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited June 2013

I been pondering on whether or not I should purchase V5, the though of starting a completely new model (textures, clothing, character set) keeps me from making the leap! Anyone have helpful thoughts on V5. Is there any noticeable advantage's of using V5 over V4. I use Genesis more the V4 now days, another possible reason to get V5. Many looking for advice or opinions on V5.

Thanks for your help,
    mj

V5 is a much better shape than v4.. Here is a comparison.. V4 and V5 shapes on Genesis. Both can be enhanced with added morph packages, but it depends what base shape you prefer to use. If you want you can even combine the two shapes and form a hybrid, thats the beauty of Genesis:)

test.jpg
    956 x 1300 - 204K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • AnIronButterflyAnIronButterfly Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

It works pretty well from what I've found. All your V4 and M4 etc skin textures --will-- work on Genesis and V5, too. That's been a big help for me.
    The nice thing about Genesis, is that you can use M4 clothing on female figures with reasonably good results. It does take some tweaking, but I've
    been working on learning how to do it.

edited December 1969

Will autofit work for V4 to V5 clothing? It works pretty good for V4 clothing to be used on Genesis.

Not sure what your question is. You can fit V4 clothing to Genesis and they will work on what ever shape is currently dialled. So yes, they will work on V5, if that is what you were asking. V5, M5 etc are all shapes for Genesis, clothing follows Genesis, so if you dial up any of the figure shapes, the clothing will follow them as well.

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

With my crappy computer and so much invested in V4, I'll stick to that for the time being.

edited June 2013

It's weird actually. V4 is fine until you use Genesis, then you slowly start to you see just how much better the shaping is as you keep playing with it. Also it bends way better which is the reason I no longer use V4. And most of your V4 investments work fine on G. Except for shoes and some long dresses, but Sickleyields amazing rigging tool really improves the fitting.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

I agree with you Zev0, It took a little getting use to, but Genesis is a vast improvement over V4!

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    It's weird actually. V4 is fine until you use Genesis, then you slowly start to you see just how much better the shaping is as you keep playing with it. Also it bends way better which is the reason I no longer use V4. And most of your V4 investments work fine on G. Except for shoes and some long dresses, but Sickleyields amazing rigging tool really improves the fitting.

And long sleeves. It can tend to mangle those as well.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    II'm more into dark and fetish style .

Me too:))

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I'm sticking with V4 for now. I don't think V5 competes.
    That said, V5 Pro Pack and S5 Pro Pack are on sale.

If I had the spare money, even I would pick both up.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

Amen. It took me a while to take the Genesis plunge, but once I did the poor Gen 4 characters got moved to the back of the runtimes and only come out when it's time to GenX something. There are a lot of after-market morphs now to make V4 bend better, but compared to Gen5, it's like watching a wannabe dancer next to a pro at the top of her game. And needless to say, with the right morphs and dial-spinning, Genesis can look like every range of the human spectrum and quite a bit beyond... all while wearing the same outfits and using the same poses I already had for both Gen 4 AND Gen 3, plus it actually takes up less space. Pretty amazing.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your help,
    mj

Frankly, my top 3 favorite new textures for genesis female use v4 UVs. Clothing seems a constant problem when I have v5 dialed, particularly in the shoes. Her body shape is ok, but really, at least for now, she's thoroughly unnecessary .

Your mileage may vary

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

OKAY, first of all, with Genesis, you are NOT totally starting over. If you want to take the plunge with Genesis, i recommend a few things. First, get the generation shapes. Next get the GenX tool so you can use all of you gen 3 and gen 4 shapes on Genesis. Lastly, get Sickle yield morphing tool kit for converting clothing MUCH MUCH better than autofit.

Clothing converts very well with SY's conversion helper. I use Gen3 and Gen4 textures on Genesis all the time- just make sure you change the UV set to match. You can mix and match textures too- for example- I use V4 texture, with a gen3 eye texture, with a Genesis V5 reflection and Hitomi eyelash. All possible! :) Just on each surface select the correct UV. :) With GenX, i can use any of my older Gen3 and Gen4 shapes on Genesis, and mix and match endlessly. It's pure bliss!!!

"Fixing" autofit with SY's conversion templates made clothing conversions actually somewhat useful, and i even rig clothes from other figures (such as Cookie, or Michelle, Or posette, or whatever) for Genesis using the SY and transfer set up tools. V5, or any of them.... they arent' "completely new models" but rather, add-ons for what you already have. That's the beauty of Genesis in a nutshell!

edited December 1969

You can mix and match textures too- for example- I use V4 texture, with a gen3 eye texture, with a Genesis V5 reflection and Hitomi eyelash. All possible! :) Just on each surface select the correct UV. :) With GenX, i can use any of my older Gen3 and Gen4 shapes on Genesis, and mix and match endlessly. It's pure bliss!!!

Genesis can't wear Gen3 textures by default. You have to transfer them to Gen4 using a texture converter first. Unless there's something new with 4.5+ that I haven't found yet. I have no Gen3 UV options.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

Ah, you're right... I have Texture converter from here and i've already converted most of my gen 3 textures to Gen4 already... I forgot! Someone needs to make a UV map of gen 3 on Genesis :P

edited December 1969

Too bad it's not as simple as dropping a file into Genesis' \data folder.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Ah, you're right... I have Texture converter from here and i've already converted most of my gen 3 textures to Gen4 already... I forgot! Someone needs to make a UV map of gen 3 on Genesis :P

Sadly, that's not possible due to the way Gen3 material zones are laid out, hence why conversion to V4 is necessary at present. You would need to not only change the texture UV's, but also regroup the material zones which isn't possible without providing a new Genesis mesh.
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I've used Generation 4 and Genesis since the day they came out. V5 is definitely superior to V4 and I had no real issues with my previous content. The transitions is much smoother than it was with Gen3 to Gen 4.
    I deleted all Generation 4 almost as soon as Genesis came out and I'm glad I did.

edited December 1969

Great information! This is what I have been looking for. I bought the V5 pro bundle last night.