SPEX for Genesis

SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
edited July 2013 in The Commons

**Updated 07/02/13: This product is currently in QA, awaiting approval for release. I know the thread is long, but it was started as a WIP thread and I was unsure of starting a new "Coming Soon" thread.

I am currently almost done with a new product, tentatively entitled "SPEX for Genesis". It is a pair of Genesis eyeglasses which conform to the full body and head morphs of most of the major characters (at least the 38 or so that I own). What's more, the glasses morph into several different frame styles! They are really, really cool and I can't wait to submit them to DAZ for approval.

The only thing is that I am challenged when it comes to shaders for the frames. I want to go shader-based because the UVs lend better to it and offer more variety.

So here is the thing... I would like to see if anyone wants to design a shader or a few shaders for the glasses. If I use a shader that you design in the final product, you get a copy of the product. I will provide a list below of what I am looking for, but I also more than welcome additional submissions. The UVs are laid out to allow for any texture to look good, tiling or otherwise.

The frame styles are as follows:
Browline (like Malcolm X wore)
BugEye (like Sophia Loren)
CatEye (like Jackie Onassis)
Frameless (so shaders would just be for the arms and the nose bridge and earpiece)
Shades (like Tom Cruise in Risky Business, can't say the brand name)
TeaShades (like John Lennon)
Wireframes (thin around the glass)
Half Frames (Upper frame, no frame on lower)

There are also morphs to make the frames rounder, and all parts thicker or thinner.

Supports the following Genesis Full Body Morphs: Genesis, Basic Male, Basic Female, Basic Child, Generations 3,4,5 of Aiko, Hiro, Freak, David (no 4), Michael, Victoria, Stephanie (no 4), Girl 4, Young Teens Justin and Julie, the Extra shapes of Michael 5, Victoria 5, Stephanie 5, Freak 5, Hitomi, Jasmin and Jason, Sadie and Sam, and Satsuki. Any mixes of these morphs also work well. Morphs for just the heads of these characters also included. No morph dials to spin in the glasses, just load the character and the glasses just fit.

Sound exciting? I think so! So, here is what I am looking to include in the product in terms of shaders:

Gold metallic
Silver metallic
Black metallic
Shiny black nerd style
Tortoise shell, any colors (I already have basic tortoise black/brown)
Shiny white
Shiny red
Leopard, any colors
Tiger/Zebra, any colors
... any others you can imagine. This is just the base I want to include. Keep in mind, leather and fur are not necessarily what I had in mind, but I will try anything.

I have uploaded a bare-bones pair of the glasses on ShareCG, which you can download and play with to help you in your shader design. The free glasses are conformed to Genesis base shape, but will distort like crazy if you try to dial in a character. You can, however, just fit the glasses to Genesis as a prop and adjust the size and angle manually if you want to use them for other purposes. These glasses DO NOT contain any morphs... I'm saving that for the final product.
Not every submission will get used, as Zebra A might work better for me than Zebra B, but I still want options. If I decide to use your shader, I will send you a PM thanking you. Save this PM just in case I lose my list (shouldn't happen, but you never know) so I can credit you with your contribution and send you the final when it is done. Please make sure you have the rights to give me the shader so that neither of us violates any TOS. PM me if you have a submission and I will give you my email address so you can send me the shader in .zip format.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Have fun

Post edited by Slosh on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited December 1969

Have you seen these just out?
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sunglasses-collection/99399/#
    not for genesis, but with glasses, they really don't need to be a figure, a prop works just as well.
    I like the morphing idea. best of luck with them.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Have you seen these just out?
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sunglasses-collection/99399/#
    not for genesis, but with glasses, they really don't need to be a figure, a prop works just as well.
    I like the morphing idea. best of luck with them.

No, I hadn't seen those. Never get over to Renderosity anymore. They look to be separate props (??). They're very well done, though. I like them. Sunglasses, but I'm sure they could convert very easily to eyeglasses. I think my deal is different enough, I'm not concerned. Thanks for the link!

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

When you mention shaders are you looking for ShaderMixer networks or über?

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Is this the sort of thing you mean. Saved as a Mat file?

Free_Specs.png
    600 x 776 - 648K
    edited December 1969

Don't know why it appears on a blue background, as it was white in the original.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Don't know why it appears on a blue background, as it was white in the original.
    I think it's just how the png is showing without a background
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Is this the sort of thing you mean. Saved as a Mat file?

I really love that look, Wendy. And yes, that is exactly what I meant. I was actually hoping you would be one of the responders.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Either will do, but I was really hoping for something saved as a shader so it can be applied to any part of the glasses independently. Which, of course, uber shaders can be.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Pendraia said:

Either will do, but I was really hoping for something saved as a shader so it can be applied to any part of the glasses independently. Which, of course, uber shaders can be.

Thanks...so a shader mixer preset would work.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Slosh said:
    Pendraia said:

Thanks...so a shader mixer preset would work.

Absolutely. In fact, preferred, really.

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

When is the cutoff date?

edited December 1969

When is the cutoff date?

I am ironing out a couple of kinks right now, which means I am working on the base file still. Once I have the shaders, I will spend time making thumbnails and testing everything out, which means there is still time.

I will leave this open for a week. That would make it next Friday, June 14th at about noon New York time. Then I can have the weekend to decide which shaders to use and make the necessary files for them before submitting to DAZ.

Thanks for asking. I should have set a date when I started the thread, but I was too excited and didn't think that far ahead.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Just when I was thinking about making a thread, threatening to shoot my hamster if DAZ doesn't remake the old Morphing Glasses for Genesis...

I shall be watching this :D

edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    Just when I was thinking about making a thread, threatening to shoot my hamster if DAZ doesn't remake the old Morphing Glasses for Genesis...

Was there already a morphing glasses for Genesis? I was not aware. Is it still in the Store? Please let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to repeat a product, which will not get approved if so.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Slosh from what I just read from Barubary's response I think it is an old one and not made for Genesis :-). Maybe it was made for another Generation maybe for Gen4 or Gen3! Hopefully that is what he is trying to say :-).

edited December 1969

Slosh from what I just read from Barubary's response I think it is an old one and not made for Genesis :-). Maybe it was made for another Generation maybe for Gen4 or Gen3! Hopefully that is what he is trying to say :-).

I think it may even have been Gen 2

Thanks for the info Slosh...I will check out if I have anything that may work for you.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited June 2013

Pendraia said:

I think it may even have been Gen 2

Thanks for the info Slosh...I will check out if I have anything that may work for you.

Yeah, the product was old enough that it got vaulted last summer.

Edit: Just found the readme. Product code: ps_ac199. Compatible products: Victoria 2, Michael 2.

Post edited by murgatroyd314 on
    edited December 1969

I hope so. Thank goodness. I'm all for building a better mousetrap, but not reinventing the wheel. That's a mixed metaphor for ya.

edited June 2013

Had a bit of a play but I'm having problems not sure what's causing it but this is some of what I done so far. I was shooting for a plastic frame look but I think the translucency is causing problems.

plgreysgsidehmmm.jpg
    600 x 848 - 244K
    plgreysgdefaultlightingside.jpg
    600 x 848 - 241K
    plpurplesgdefaultlighting.jpg
    600 x 848 - 208K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Had a bit of a play but I'm having problems not sure what's causing it but this is some of what I done so far. I was shooting for a plastic frame look but I think the translucency is causing problems.

It's good, I like them. If you can't quite get the look you were going for, send them to me anyway and maybe I can tweak them. I hadn't thought of plastic frames, but I've seen them in real life and they are cool.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Pendraia said:

It's good, I like them. If you can't quite get the look you were going for, send them to me anyway and maybe I can tweak them. I hadn't thought of plastic frames, but I've seen them in real life and they are cool.

Thanks...I'll play with them a little bit more and see what I can do.

Either way I'll send them to you and you can do what you like with them. ;

edited December 1969

Thought you might all enjoy a little sneak preview of the morphed glasses fit to a Genesis character. Here is Victoria 5 wearing the Cat Eye style with a material preset submitted by wilmap. I love the mats and shaders you sent, Wendy. They look really good on the glasses. I made a lens shader which is great because you can change the Index of Refraction to get various magnified looks. As well, it seems to make the highlights in the eyes brighter. Not just this character, it seems to do it on all of them. I hadn't made the lens shader yet when I posted the freeSPEX, sorry to say.

I am still adding more and more character morphs so that hopefully you can achieve any fit you need, even mixed characters. I hope to see more shaders soon. I find this very exciting, community interaction. Anyone try their hand at metallic yet? I need a good gold and silver for the metal bits on the glasses, and I just can't seem to come up with a good one.

CatEye_Glasses.jpg
    500 x 700 - 202K
    edited December 1969

Glad you liked the shaders Slosh.

Like the shape of those, my Mum had some like that once.

Looking good.:-)

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

There are no glasses for genesis like this. I have been looking for them. I can't wait until they come out. Will you let us know where we can buy them?

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Barubary said:

Was there already a morphing glasses for Genesis? I was not aware. Is it still in the Store? Please let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to repeat a product, which will not get approved if so.

Yeah, as others have pointed out, I meant the oooold Gen 2 product, that DAZ vaulted some time ago in one of their many smart and customer-oriented moves.

Was one of the most versatile products I can remember, so if there's gonna be something even remotely similar for Genesis - I'm interested :D

edited December 1969

There are no glasses for genesis like this. I have been looking for them. I can't wait until they come out. Will you let us know where we can buy them?

I definitely will make it known. Hopefully DAZ won't make me wait too long. I am still ironing out the rough patches and adding shaders, but I hope to submit it for review early next week. I will show some more samples in this thread as time permits.

Barubary said:
    Slosh said:
    Just when I was thinking about making a thread, threatening to shoot my hamster if DAZ doesn't remake the old Morphing Glasses for Genesis... I shall be watching this :D

Yeah, as others have pointed out, I meant the oooold Gen 2 product, that DAZ vaulted some time ago in one of their many smart and customer-oriented moves.

Was one of the most versatile products I can remember, so if there's gonna be something even remotely similar for Genesis - I'm interested :D

Well, I hope I capture at least some of the functionality of those earlier glasses. Aside from the 8 styles I have generated, there are only a few adjustment morphs, but I am going to brainstorm and see what else needs to be included. That comes with trying them on various characters and seeing what happens with the fit.

• Glampfire GirlGlampfire Girl Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for not giving up on these! You're my hero.

I was thinking if we now have great aging morphs for Genesis, why not eyeglasses for these new aging characters? Did Grandma get Lasik?

I've been reading this thread, and I do know there are props out there, but there are several problems with using glasses that are props.

For one, every time you move the character, you have to reposition the prop! This is no good if glasses are a part of the character's outfit. Too much hassle! The rest of their clothes don't need to be refitted every time they move (at least, not ideally), why should their eyewear?

Thank you!

Angie

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Will there be morphs and shader settings for very thick lenses?

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for not giving up on these! You're my hero.

I was thinking if we now have great aging morphs for Genesis, why not eyeglasses for these new aging characters? Did Grandma get Lasik?

I've been reading this thread, and I do know there are props out there, but there are several problems with using glasses that are props.

For one, every time you move the character, you have to reposition the prop! This is no good if glasses are a part of the character's outfit. Too much hassle! The rest of their clothes don't need to be refitted every time they move (at least, not ideally), why should their eyewear?

Thank you!

Angie

That hasn't been a problem with these, at least not so far. Testing should answer that question.

edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    Will there be morphs and shader settings for very thick lenses?

Funny you should ask. I just spent quite a bit of time yesterday perfecting the lens shader, and yes, they will give your characters varying degrees of bug-eyes, as well as the opposite effect. I am including different colored lenses as well with varied degrees of tint.