Daz sales. I guess I'm just dumb.

misterskutsmisterskuts Posts: 60
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I don't understand Daz "sales". Get 50% off this or that item if you buy one of these other items that you have absolutely no need for. The sale item must be created by a left-handed troll on Thursday, at least six planets in the solar system must be in alignment during low tide and cannot weigh over twelve pounds. Purchaser must chant "ia cthulhu ftaghn" while skipping backwards on one foot in a counter-clockwise direction and swinging a live chicken overhead.

What's wrong with just saying, "hey look, this item is on sale. This is how much it costs. Buy it now."

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Comments

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited June 2013

skuts said:
    I don't understand Daz "sales". Get 50% off this or that item if you buy one of these other items that you have absolutely no need for.

Sounds like you understand perfectly. :) Yeah, it might not be optimal, but that's how it is.

Post edited by drinkingbuddy on
  • Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Daz seems to be in desperation to sell new releases. Does it seem that there are more new releases than in the past?

• PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I have no issues with them pumping out new items. I actually think a lot of their newer items are pretty awesome overall. The sales though... definitely leave a little something to be desired.

Sometimes the sales are really good, but more often than not they are convoluted and just... blech. Any of the "Buy this and get 30%, 40%, 50% whatever % off this category" sales I ignore entirely. There is no point to these types of sales because usually shortly later there is a new sale that is just 50% off everything regardless. And all of the 30% off sales I ignore regardless because at this point if you are relatively patient you can grab almost any of the PA items for 60% off (flash sales) or at the very least 50% off during PA sales, and 50-70% DAZ originals during various sales. No point in wasting money on a 30% off sale when shortly later you can get an additional 20-40% off.

All in all it seems like there is not really a firm marketing strategy involved. Or if there is, maybe they are just testing the waters with different sale methods to see what gets the most attention and purchases. But honestly, I think making sales less complicated and less numerous would be better for everyone overall. If you have sales every single day, you might as well just make the regular price that sale price.

• misterskutsmisterskuts Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

I check for new releases sometimes several times a day. These sales just seem to be unnecessarily convoluted and ultimately self-defeating. Often I'll see an item I like on sale but the terms are usually so ridiculous that I don't even bother looking anymore. I don't even use the monthly coupons anymore because to me they're pointless.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited June 2013

LOL I feel the same most of the time but I have been here long enough to know what suits me doesn't suit other poeple's taste, but every now and then a deal comes my why that I like and take advantage of. Yeah I think I used the new monthly coupon once.

and have you noticed so far everyone that has posted has a handle that starts with "S". Now that is spooky.

Post edited by Szark on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Just to break the trend...

I haven't been here long, only since last year but I've noticed a real increase in sales. Since the march madness there barely seems to have been a day without a new sale. I do wonder if all these sales aren't counter productive. The list of things that I will buy when they are first released is getting smaller and smaller. The buy X get y off Z / buy X+Y to get Z discount thing has been going since December I believe.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Way more sales than ever! My thought in asking about the new releases is I doubt that the Daz market is expanding by much. If there is more new product chasing the same money that's less sales per item - not good if you're trying to make a living on it.

And yes I do believe the sales are counter productive. I am not buying much new product either. That is also because how many morphs, hair, and clothes do you need? My recent purchases have been of plants, animals, props and scenes, and utilities. Out of that, the only new releases that I purchased that weren't PC were utilities.

The sales are working in one respect: I have spent more money at DAZ than I ever have in the last several months. Essentially March Madness never ended. Problem for DAZ is will there be any buzz left for the PA and PC monthly sales.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm a content freak. I enjoy the sales, if I could not get A or B in the past at full price chances are I can get A or B now and get one of the new items at the same time. But then I'm a sale freak too, I love saving money.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...yah same here, especially if it is by a PA I really like. When I saw Smay on the 60% off 4 hour clock the other day, immediately picked up all the Stalker Girl accessories that were on my wishlist. The guns were a real great deal as they include a great action pose set with both single or double fisted poses.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

And today Smay's stores is 40% off if you buy the new item. We also have the pleasure of a three day up to 50% off extravaganza.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,060
    edited June 2013

I've said it before - the DAZ marketing staff works off the playbooks of King Gillette - give away the razor (Studio) and sell the blades (content) and P.T.Barnum.

These sales are pure Barnum - "Today only, for the next four hours, get 50% off! This offer will NOT be repeated"*

*This week, anyway - unless maybe with some theme it vaguely relates to.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

It used to be people tolerated an email a week. Now I seem to get an email every day from DAZ with some sale.

If sales are no longer special and, you don't have a real time constraint - there is no reason to pay full price. In fact, you should measure what the lowest "regular" discount is, and never buy unless the product is that price. Therefore, never buy anything from DAZ unless it is 50% off or more.

Sounds kind of uncool to the great PAs who make great products, right? Well, that's what happens when sales are no longer special. This is one of those cases where broker logic is different from vendor logic. A reseller is a fat pipe of stuff to customers. It doesn't matter to the reseller what they are selling, so long as there's a lot of stuff going through the pipe, and people are motivated by discounts.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

skuts said:

What's wrong with just saying, "hey look, this item is on sale. This is how much it costs. Buy it now."

Geez, that was SO-O-O last year

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

chikako said:
    It used to be people tolerated an email a week. Now I seem to get an email every day from DAZ with some sale.

The more email, the more noise, the less I read.
    I delete most emails because I get so many, I can't read them all.

The daz sales for me would be more special if more of them were not "Buy this new item get the seller's other stuff 50% off"
    There were some vendors that had things I wanted, but I didn't want the new item, so the vendor got nothing.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited June 2013

...I have to agree concerning what I call the "BOGO principle" of these sales. The only time I actually get a new release is if it is something I've been waiting for (like Stefan's forthcoming Urban Sprawl 3) or it is actually something I would use in a scene more than once. Mostly I've been scoring on the 4 Hour (usually which become "Full Day") sales and Fastgrab. Not into the "progressive" sales either (buy one item at 30%, two at 40% 3+ at 50%).

I miss the old introductory sales where PC members received an extra discount on new releases and the special PC advance release deals before they were offered to the general public.

Also March Madness was not quite the deal it used to be for it too employed the "BOGO principle" for one to get the full 50% discount that in past years was a ""given". So again if there was just one item that you wanted, you either had to accept getting the lower discount, buy another item you may not need or want, or forgo the whole thing completely.

I miss the vouchers which were good on both PA and DO products. didn't need to be used up in one shot (unless it was near the 30 day expiration) and would effectively stack with one another. I never lost a PC, challenge award, or gallery voucher.

On the other hand Daz and PA's have lost sales from me with switch form vouchers to coupons because either they have a minimum purchase required, which (especially on my current budget) I could not afford, they were not valid for items released within 60 days, they required an item or genre I really wasn't interested in, or (in the case with Monthly and bonus PC coupons) they were only good on DO items.

I estimate i have lost between 35 - 40$ in PC incentives alone since the change from the voucher system because there simply was nothing I needed or wanted from the DO category that wasn't priced at 1.99$ (which by the rules cannot be purchased with the PC coupon).

Oh, and the required purchase of an other item for a freebie really does not make it a "freebie" anymore. It's just another "BOGO" deal and should be stated thus.

Post edited by kyoto kid on