New Freebie: Multi Purpose Shuttle MPS 2A "Beaver"

spacebonesspacebones Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Freebies

Hello Community,

here comes my first new entry after DAZ`s big site rework:

A model of a modular SF Space Shuttle in basic version. (Modules are still to come...)

There are versions for .obj, Carrara, Bryce and Vue so far. DS / Poser version is in work (my very first prop ever ;-) ) but I `ll need a little time to get familiar with material settings and the like...

Highly detailed cockpit with holoscreens, controls, seats, options to have it flying (hyperdrive or sublight drive or both) or landed, open or closed airlocks and more...
Please refer the respective readme files for best rendering results.

Download links (ShareCG):

Obj version = http://www.sharecg.com/v/63187/browse/5/3D-Model/Multi-Purpose-Shuttle-MPS2A-Beaver-.obj-version

Bryce version = http://www.sharecg.com/v/63190/browse/5/3D-Model/Multi-Purpose-Shuttle-MPS2A-Beaver-(Bryce-vers.)

Carrara version = http://www.sharecg.com/v/63188/browse/5/3D-Model/Multi-Purpose-Shuttle-MPS2A-Beaver-(Carrara)

Vue version = http://www.sharecg.com/v/63189/browse/5/3D-Model/Multi-Purpose-Shuttle-MPS2A-Beaver-(Vue-version)

Edit: here the link to the UV template if someone needs his own custom design:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/63261/browse/6/Texture/UV-Template-for-Shuttle-MPS-2A-Beaver

Free for private and commercial renders, but not for further distribution of the files. The model and maps may be modified for your individual needs.
Have fun!

Post edited by spacebones on

Comments

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    edited December 1969

This looks SO retro it's UBER cool! Think there might be an interior in the works??

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Nicely done! Thnx for this and check your PM's/email.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much :-)

• Iczer1Iczer1 Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Great ship!!! Very Thunderbird-ish ;-)

And thanks

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

owo, new shiny's she is a lovely piece of work and thank you. :)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Very nice! I spotted the Bryce version in Renderosity's freestuff just tonight, and really wished there was a D|S version. Now I know there will be one, I'm looking forward to it.

How much of an interior will there be, beyond the cockpit and what we can see inside the airlock door?

Nearly forgot to ask, will you be setting it up for D|S3 or D|S4? A lot of us still use 3, and some people can't use 4 for one reason or another, or just plain can't work with the clunky user interface. If you make it for 3, though, it will work in 4 with no problems.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks - will wait for the DS 4 model .

• spacebonesspacebones Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you in return @all :-)

For a brief history: this model is just a (time eating) w.i.p. with my german home 3D forum "Active Rendering". It is intended to become a modular ship which may carry a variety of payload-, lab- or med-modules as well as a bigger hyperdrive module for long distance scout missions. There will come a modified military version and different texture maps, too.
    In this first basic variation the details just concentrate on cockpit, inner airlocks with separate windows and a room behind with few ctrl panels. I decided to follow some requests for a Poser variation, after the model was already finished, so there will be no rigged / morphing parts. (I would have to rebuild bigger areas of the model for that)
    As, like said, this is my first Poser/DS prop ever, I first will have to make peace with the material nodes a.s.o. - still a "virgin world" for me ;-)
    I just own DS4 pro, so I think the best way may be finishing it as a Poser file which can be read by Studio...

• atoxicatoxic Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

thanks for sharing
    I like your detailed model of a space craft

nice days and nice renders
    atoxic

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Love it, and am downloading the OBJ version as we speak. I look forward to the Poser version as well. I have both DS 3A and DS 4A/4P (haven't installed on my newish laptop yet and can't decide which to go with), so the Poser version will come in handy for either or both versions of DS. :-)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I just own DS4 pro, so I think the best way may be finishing it as a Poser file which can be read by Studio...

That would be ideal, even better if you could include D|S materials settings (since Poser materials work with varying degrees of plastic-looking-ness in D|S). Also bear in mind that the last couple of versions of Poser save objects in which the morph dials won't work in D|S. Which Poser version will you be using to save with? I'd hate to have a pretty little ship like that and not be able to open the airlock to let my characters in. ;-)
    edited December 1969

I `ve got Poser 9 and that is the same "terra incognita" to me as DS - like I mentioned above, this will be my first prop ever. So there are no morphs and no rigging at all. I did not have that in mind when I finished the model, rather wanted a mesh for smooth animation, yet having lots of detail. Therefor I had to weld several parts to same shading domains / material groups. I`d have to build nearly everything anew from scratch for morph targets or so.
    I know about possible troubles with shaders between Poser and DS... ;)

edited June 2012

Just added the UV template (4096 x 4096. .jpg) and a b/w masking layer for easy retexturing, if someone wants to make some custom textures... ;-)
    See last link above in the opening post.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It should be easy to import the OBJ in DAZ Studio. You'd have to manually add the textures, save as DSA for your convenience, and as a DAZ-file for quick-load of the prop. It's a nice piece of work and looks very good.

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It should be easy to import the OBJ in DAZ Studio. You'd have to manually add the textures, save as DSA for your convenience, and as a DAZ-file for quick-load of the prop. It's a nice piece of work and looks very good.

Unfortunately Importing the OBJ version brings the model in as a single object block, so you can't hide the landing gear, or open the hatches by hiding them either.
    I did have somewhat better success with the Carrara version, by exporting it as a DAZ COLLADA file then importing that into Studio 3.
    It came in with all the various sub parts intact, and materials applied. Just had to tweak the transparency on some of the materials (Viewport, screens, and Engine effects) and rescale it to 600% to make it fit Poser People. Oh and adjusted the smoothing angle on the hull and hatches to cure some "bulges" and "bends"
    edited December 1969

Imported the shuttle into DS4 pro and Poser9 meanwhile and fiddled around with material room / texturing. (As already mentioned, I am not to familiar with both programs so far). I was not yet aware of just having only one collapsed shape with the whole object as one after import. Hard enough to find the right values / settings to have things looking similar to Vue-, Carrara- or Bryce versions. As I have few time at the moment because of job a.s.o. - I am in correspondence with Anthony Appleyard (Renderosity forum freestuff provider), who has made a basic Poser character of the shuttle with dials/switches for turning gadgets tower, switching between landed and flying option (having the landing gear or propulsion / hyperfield either hidden or not. I am just applying materials to the non UV parts of that character, but still am facing some issues...

The bulges and bends (at least with Poser) can be eliminated best on a crease angle of 80 for the respective parts (worst edge bulging occured with the outer airlocks, I guess). After import to Poser I found a default crease angle of 140 (!) for each single part. Way to much, don`t ask me why Poser does this... :P

DAZ COLLADA export from Carrara is a good idea! I never tested this before, but am glad to hear that this works. So I will take this into account with the modules, could save a lot of wasted time... ;)

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
    edited June 2013

looks great!

eventually if you want to add blinking lights and moving displays you could look into my scripts

MatAnim and TexAnim

someday someday i'll post my Enterprise TOS bridge with animated blinking buttons :)

Post edited by mCasual on
  • DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Hey, what ever happened to the DAZ/Poser version of the Beaver?? Come on, Spacebones, I reserved space in my runtime!

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 697
    edited December 1969

I was going to ask, too. This might be just what I am looking for.

edited December 1969

Hi Folks,

sorry for my absence on this topic, but my job does not leave me to much time so far, this year. ..

@Casual: thank you! Got me those scripts and will give them a try with Version 2.0 of my shuttle ( and for sure with some future cockpit stuff or so)
    Great stuff on your site!!

This Project is NOT dead, promised!

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Just so you know I used your Beaver in the freebie contest. It got 2nd place so now you can say it's a winner. Looking forward to rev 2.

FlyMetotheMoon.jpg
    1000 x 666 - 484K
  • DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

That Dollygirl is SUCH a show-off!

JUST KIDDING! Saw your great winning signature design over at Dreamslayer too. Congratulations on that also!

SPACEBONES: No pressure on the DAZ Beaver. Put all your effort into your job.
    Signed,
    Your Boss

edited June 2013

@Dollygirl: so it did help a Little... fine to see that, congratz! Is there any link to that respective site/entry?

@Dorseyland: Thank God I AM my boss hehe :-)

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

@Dollygirl: so it did help a Little... fine to see that, congratz! Is there any link to that respective site/entry?

I was the host of that contest - here's the link.

Dollygirl's entry is in post #173.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dorsey! I was shooting for that 100 bucks of DAZ cash. Maybe next month.

Spacebones, you can see the competition here:
    http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/FreebieChallenge/
    Look for the May challenge. If you click on a picture it gives you a url list of where the freebies came from that were used in the piece. It is a nice way to highlight all of our wonderful artists that provide the community with freebies. There is an accompanying thread here in the Freepozitory each month.

Hope the previous answered your question.

edited December 1969

Cool! :) ...didn`t even know about those contests... thx for info!